free voice mail for homeless people FWD

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:05:39 -0700 (PDT)

FWD excerpt from:
Subject:      Communications-related Headlines for 4/1/98
From:         Kevin Taglang <kevint@BENTON.ORG>
Date:         1998/04/02
Newsgroups:   misc.activism.progressive

Title:  New Day at the Phone Company
Source: Well Street Journal
<http://welljournal.com/binky/phone.html>
Author: Joe Binky
Issue:  Universal Service
phone companies have adopted a new strategy: affordable telecommunications
services for everyone in the US. Across the country, local phone rates are
dropping. At homeless shelters and soup kitchens, top phone executives are
working with staff to set up voice mail boxes for our most vulnerable
citizens. Salesmen are hitting the pavement in low-income neighborhoods
asking families what they can afford and what services they need. Crews are
scrambling to install high-bandwidth services to our most remote rural areas
-- including the lands of Native American tribes. "Finally," one of the top
executives said, "one of our lawyers looked up from his work and said, 'Hey,
doesn't universal mean everybody?'"

END FORWARD

TO JOIN  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom <wgcp@earthlink.net>