Re: LA Soup Kitchen's Homeless Clients Cause Crime, Say Neighbors FWD

Virginia Sellner (wch@vcn.com)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:03:30 -0600 (MDT)

Businesses need to make it clear to those that 'bother their customers' that
they will not put up with that in and around their place -- once they do the
problem for the most part will disappear.  Too often businesses seem to just
want to blame but not help reduce the problem.

When I first was working with a homeless shelter in the early 80s there were
no bars, etc. in the neighborhood, but soon 3 bars opened and the bus depot
moved next door, and the businesses started blaming our clients for all the
problems that they had with 'undesirables'.  I told them to call me and I
would check and see who they were.  They were NEVER our clients -- they were
local drunks, new in the area because of the addition of the bars, and or
bus depot people waiting to change buses -- it made them angry, but we
proved that it was not the homeless and the police backed us up on that, and
finally the complaints went away.

Virginia Sellner

At 10:40 PM 4/24/98 -0700, Tom Boland wrote:
>http://www.latimes.com:80/CNS_DAYS/980423/t000038219.html
>FWD Thursday, April 23, 1998
>

>IN THE SOUP
>NEIGHBORS BLAME COSTA MESA KITCHEN'S HOMELESS CLIENTS FOR CRIME
>  By John Canalis - Special to The Langeles Times
>
>     The diners gather in the shuttered Chinese restaurant refashioned into
>a soup kitchen for a down-home American meal: ham, vegetables, tomato soup
>and cupcakes smothered in electric-pink frosting.  "I couldn't eat like
>this on my SSI," Richard Meredith, 48, said of his government benefits. "A
>lot of people use this soup kitchen, a lot more than general society
>expects."
>     These days, however, general society is clashing with Someone Cares
>Soup Kitchen about the offering of free meals amid West 19th Street's mix
>of homes for senior citizens, shops, taco stands and the Department of
>Motor Vehicles.
>     Some neighbors and police blame the 150 to 200 daily diners for a
>variety of petty crimes ranging from littering to panhandling. The soup
>kitchen contends that it provides security, screens patrons and is the only
>charity providing regular, sit-down hot meals to the poor in Costa Mesa.
>     Like many of its clients, Someone Cares has led a transient life since
>it opened in 1986 at the Rea Community Center. Now operating for nearly a
>year on property it finally owns at West 19th Street and Pomona Avenue, the
>charity faces familiar complaints and now, a city funding cut that was more
>of a black eye to its image than to its budget.
>     "The same exact guys I see sleeping on the benches, offering to wash
>my windows at the gas station, are the same guys I see having lunch at the
>soup kitchen," said Patsy Latscha, 54, who lives nearby on Center Street.
>"They're getting a free meal, then you see them at the liquor store getting
>drunk right after."
>      Some merchants on West 19th also are complaining since the soup
>kitchen relocated a year ago from a Hamilton Street church courtyard.
>     "My business has dropped 15% to 20%," said Yun Uyu, 56, owner of
>Sunshine Liquor next door to the soup kitchen. "The good customers are not
>going to come here because of the street people."
>from Someone Cares for $20,000 in federal grant money, instead approving
>$5,000 be paid next fiscal year. This year, the kitchen received $15,000
>from the city.
>     "I know that people have problems, but they can't cause grief for the
>citizens," said City Councilman Joe Erickson, who suggested the cuts. "The
>free food allows them to have cash to buy drinks, and when they drink we
>have problems. I believe in helping your fellow man, but I don't believe in
>helping an alcoholic buy his next drink."
>     Thanks to a $5,000 anonymous donation, Someone Cares has survived the
>cut, and does not expect to reduce services from its annual budget of about
>$100,000--most of which comes from private donations.
> [...]
 Speak only words of truth.
 Speak only of the good qualities of others.
 Be a confidant and carry no tales.
 Dhyani Ywahoo,"Voices of our Ancestors, Cherokee teachings from the Wisdom
Fire".

Wyoming Coalition for the Homeless
P. O. Box 1232
Cheyenne, WY 82003