Fw: state only TANF programs

H. C. Covington (ach1@sprynet.com)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 13:26:18 -0500

H. C. Sonny Covington  +AEA-  I CAN+ACE- America
Community Based Management Consultants
427 St. John Street - Lafayette, LA  70501
(318) 235-7005  Fax 318-234-0953
hccovington+AEA-usa.net
-----Original Message-----
From: Erin Hyppa +ADw-hyppa+AEA-U.WASHINGTON.EDU+AD4-
To: WELFAREM-L+AEA-AMERICAN.EDU +ADw-WELFAREM-L+AEA-AMERICAN.EDU+AD4-
Date: Saturday, April 25, 1998 1:40 AM
Subject: state only TANF programs

Welfare Rights Organizing Coalition (WROC) is a grassroots organization
organizing parents on public assistance in the fight for social and
economic justice.  We are located in Seattle, WA and are starting a new
campaign for the summer.

It's called +ACI-Stop The Clock+ACI- and we are trying to push our state
legislature to create a state-only TANF program for parents who are
working full time, but still are not making enough money and are receiving
a partial grant.  We feel that parents working full time are doing
everything that the state is asking them to do, and their 5 year
clock should not be running because their jobs do not pay livable wages.

We are wondering if there are any other states out there who currently
have state-only programs for parents working full time or if there are any
other community organizations who are pushing their states to adopt a
similar program.  If so, we at WROC are looking for strategic suggestions,
policy examples, and any other information that may be helpful in our
campaign.

Please respond to WROC's email, wroc+AEA-scn.org, Att: Jean Colman, if you
have any information.

In solidarity,
Erin Hyppa
Welfare Rights Organizing Coalition