CBC interview with NYM (fwd)

Leslie Schentag (wy497@victoria.tc.ca)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:01:41 -0700 (PDT)

This came in my inbox about the occupation of the BC Treaty Commission's
Office bye the Native Youth Movement. It is an interview with CBC Radio. I
have a feeling that life is about to become real interesting in Vancouver.
I have the Statements from the LiL'Wat, Penticton Bands supporting the
NYM. They state that they will have to answer to the individual bands if
any harm come to the native youth.
Take care and watch your back...
as always
LGS

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:19:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Shafer <wy430@victoria.tc.ca>
To: sovernet-l@speakeasy.org
Subject: CBC interview with NYM

"We're Going to Fight Until We Win!": Sings and drums NYM members.

The following is an edited version of today's CBC radio AM690 Vancouver's
coverage and interviews with members of the Native Youth Movement
presently occupying the BC Treaty Commission Offices. The Indigenous youth
say the Treaty Commissioners will forcibly evict them at 4:30 PM Vancouver
time.

"We want to put the challenge out there to other Indigenous youth to
challenge their respective Bands and leaderships and such - we want to
stop this process" - NYM

Opening: drumming and singing: "we're going to fight until we win..."

CBC News: They're part of a growing group of young people called the
Native Youth Movement. They've been occupying the BC Treaty Commission
since friday afternoon. Today they invited the media in to get their
message out. Natanis Derjolais says young people think they've shut out of
the Treaty process. They oppose a process that will forfeit their inherent
rights to their land:

Natanis Derjolais: "They say this is where we're going to be - in
"canadian society" where we'll be "economically stable", "self-gov't" and
all that...but really what it is, is extinguishment of Aboriginal Rights."

CBC News: Twenty-three year old David Dennis says the young people won't
leave the Treaty Office until they get this message across:

David Dennis: "Well, until our message is out there...we've got support
letters coming in and we really want to put the challenge out there to
other indigenous youth to challenge their respective Bands and leaderships
and such. We want to stop this process..."

CBC: There's been no move to remove the young people from the Treaty
Office but Dennis says they're preparing to be removed by force...Amanda
Pfeffer CBC News Vancouver.

HANDS OFF THE NATIVE YOUTH MOVEMENT! DOWN WITH THE CORPORATE TREATY
"CON-MISSION".

EMAIL: Glen Clark - NDP Premier of BC - premier@gov.bc.ca
     : Vancouver Police Chief Constable: vpd@city.vancouver.bc.ca
     : Alec Robertson, Chief Commissioner BCTC: info@bctreaty.net

     Toll free (Canada) to BC Treaty Office NYM  occupiers
      1-800-665-8330    or NYM (604) 490-5314 (604) 977-1510

Please distribute widely and stand by for further bulletins