Fw: Racial divide exists re: Internet (fwd)

H. C. Covington (ach1@sprynet.com)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:16:24 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: H. C. Covington <ach1@sprynet.com>
Date: Saturday, April 18, 1998 4:15 PM
Subject: Fw: Racial divide exists re: Internet (fwd)

Title:  Internet Contains a Racial Divide On Access and Use, Study Shows
Source: Wall Street Journal (B10)   <http://wsj.com/>
Author: Rebecca Quik
Issue:  Internet

long been suspected: there's a racial divide on the Internet.  Among
high-school and college students, 73% of white students interviewed in a
new study had a computer at home -- just 32% of black students had one.
Even when just looking at households with incomes below $40,000/yr,
whites are still twice as likely as blacks to own a computer.  Nielsen
Media Research interviewed 5,813 randomly selected people from December
1996 through January 1997.  White students are six times as likely to
find alternative ways to access the Internet if they do not own a
computer.  "That's astonishing," said co-author Prof Donna Hoffman of
Vanderbilt University.  "This shows that not only do we have a problem
with the status of technology in schools, but it's also a problem in our
communities."

Title:  Racial Divide Found on Information Highway
Source: New York Times (A1,A22)
        <http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/041798race.html>