Re: serving food "gets the poor"

Ronald J. Bartle (snuffy@snafu.de)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 07:56:07 +0200

I guess that what one is seeing from the writter Fotheringham is a sence
of the
o v e r whealming need for housing .. which leaves one angry and saying
"so what" when other help is given.  The perception at street level must
be one of "If these people wanted to - and got r e a l y organized -
then they could fix this homlessness thing
-total!- so anything less than that .. is viewed with some contempt.

Shure a decent meal is great - shure a counselling talk is helpfull etc
etc.. what needs fixing is homelessness itself - and I can understand
the undertone of anger comming from a person on the street .. when he
sees well situated - housed folks - fixing bits of the problem here.. a
portion of the problem there.. but the homelessness as such - goes right
on as ever!?

No way do we wanna be discouraged by a reaction as seen here.  I feel it
is quite understandable - and simply an expression of the desperate need
for a real and if Heaven grants it - t o t a l move away from the type
of society which seems _content_ to simply leave some way behind or shut
out.

ron b.

--
Ron Bartle - Royal Air Force Veteran - Hobby Journalist
-24h wired Bed & Breakfast in Berlin,Germany.