Re: Community Policing & Law Enforcement - FWD via H.C. Sonny

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:13:17 -0700 (PDT)

Graeme Bacque <gbacque@arcos.org> wrote:
>In my 'hood 'community policing' has always consisted of groups of up to seven
>cops travelling on foot or by bicycle and systematically terrorizing homeless
>persons, sex trade workers - in other words anyone they don't like or who
>falls
>under their stereotypical view of who is a 'criminal.'

Graeme, I agree.  "Community policing" all too often is a polite term for
"broken windows" style policing.  In short, sweep homeless people and and
so-called "petty criminals" from "good" neighborhoods - and business
districts.

Homeless sweeps are a land grab.  The poor are driven from prized real
estate and _public_ space, to protect property values and the interests of
the wealthy and powerful.  In short, when laws are passed and enforced,
profit too often comes before people.

In many towns, we need _"citizen review boards"_ to monitor police more
than we need so-called "community policing".  By holding police accountable
to the public, review boards can reduce police violations of the civil
rights of homeless people's and other outcaste groups.

BTW, I forwarded the message below via HPN member Sonny Covington.
(Sonny's post had bounced, so I reposted it.)

The forwarded post was written by Dave Matthews <dmatthews@acf.dhhs.gov>

Write on!--Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net>

TO JOIN  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom <wgcp@earthlink.net>