Re: Semantics

Virginia Sellner (wch@vcn.com)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:18:28 -0600 (MDT)

How right you are Graeme, thanks.  Virginia

At 01:41 PM 4/13/98 -0400, Graeme Bacque wrote:
>I find it alarming in the extreme to see how often the words 'homeless'
>and 'mentally ill' appear in the same line whenever the subject of
>homelessness arises for discussion.
>
>This is frankly only one more form of victim-blaming - homelessness
>isn't a disease; its a political/social issue. Citing 'mental ilness'
>(which is more value judgement than scientific fact in any event) as
>causal removes it from that realm and places the blame solely on the
>victim's shoulders, thus providing the system with a convenient 'out.'
>We can't afford to be doing this.
>--
>*******************
>Graeme Bacque
><http://web.arcos.org/gbacque>
>(#2226799 on ICQ)
>++Question and challenge *all* human 'authority'++

 Speak only words of truth.
 Speak only of the good qualities of others.
 Be a confidant and carry no tales.
 Dhyani Ywahoo,"Voices of our Ancestors, Cherokee teachings from the Wisdom
Fire".

Wyoming Coalition for the Homeless
P. O. Box 1232
Cheyenne, WY 82003