Seattle Plans "Jungle" Evictions - Stop the Homeless Sweeps FWD

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 05:15:36 -0700 (PDT)

FWD *excerpts from:
Subject:      peace & justice events calendar 4/8/98 Seattle
From:         Jean Buskin <buskin@u.washington.edu>
Date:         1998/04/08
Newsgroups:   seattle.general,alt.activism,pnw.general

SEATILE - CITY PLANS ANOTHER HOMELESS SWEEP

  SOON, City Plans Another Homeless Sweep (Bulldozer
Enforced Evictions) of "the Jungle", an encampment of
homeless people on West Beacon Hill, you are urged to call
the Tom Byers in the Mayor's Office, 206-684-4000, Ken
Bounds, Director of the Parks Department, 206-684-8021, and
City Council Parks Committee Chairperson Nick Licata, 206-
684-8803;  demand a guarantee of shelter beds for all, and a
tolerance policy until we get them.  If they want to take
action at the jungle, bring in porta-potties, provide jobs,
counseling, and other services;  urge them to STOP THE
JUNGLE EVICTIONS; info John Fox, Seattle Displacement
Coalition, 206-523-2569 or <jvf4119@zipcon.net>

  ONGOING, call the City Council 684-8888;  ask them to fund
the TOILETS, SINKS, SHOWERS AND LAUNDRY FOR HOMELESS PEOPLE
and all members of the public at dispursed centrally located
downtown sites (as they promised months ago!) immediately!

  ONGOING SUNDAYS, 1:30 p.m., cook, Green Tortoise Hostel,
1525 2nd Ave;  5:30 serve dinner at Occidental Park, FOOD
NOT BOMBS cooks & serves vegetarian meals to the homeless
each week, we need your help!  info, volunteer or donate
cooking utensils or food, Marcia 206-789-9800, Jenny 206-
402-1857, Chris 206-860-3922 or email bd259@scn.org

END FORWARD

TO JOIN  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom <wgcp@earthlink.net>