Re: Washington state (fwd)

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:35:33 PDT

John,

    This is the best I can do for now! Hope this gets the ball rolling
on the search! I'll try later on this weekend to locate the exact links
you need!

State Funded SafeFutures program in Seattle will include:

High-Risk Youth and Juvenile Offenders Seattle's Department of Youth
Services (DYS) is challenged with an increased population and fewer
resources; yet it must address new problems of racial and ethnic
disproportionality, younger age at onset of crime, rising recidivism
rates, increased severity of youth crimes, and increased youth violence
and gang activity. Programs directed toward at-risk youth and juvenile
offenders include an expansion of the king County DYS Work Crew, an
intermediate sanction for juvenile offenders; Sisters in Common
Support/Education Group and Adolescent Female Gang Prevention  Project,
a volunteer mentoring program; and Cambodian Girls Group/Community
Advisor Program, and outreach program focusing on health care for
refugees and their children, which also employs     local youth as teen
life/Cambodian culture "consultants" to address problems with gang
activity and family conflict.

Enhancing Protective Factors: Opportunities/Role Models Seattle
currently needs more memtoring, parental education, and mental health
services to meet its population's needs. Programs that do exist are
coping with increased demand and decreased funding. In addition, the
difficulty of providing services has increased due to the diversity of
cultural and ethnic backgrounds. Sister to Sister, an afterschool
program, provides middle school girls with esteem-building, mentoring,
and recreational activities. The expansion of mentoring programs will
target 120 youth. Family strengthening programming will include the
creation of a resource guide with multiple access points to facilitate
the location of services and the expansion of ethnically specific parent
education programs. Mental health services will be strengthened
through the sibling support program, which will provide up to 30
families of offenders with individual and family counseling, and funding
support for therapists for Cambodian girls, which will help to address
mental health issues within families of at-risk girls.

Preventing Delinquency and Promoting Gang-Free Schools and Communities
At present, Seattle Public Schools require additional resources to
provide indepth case management to at-risk and gang-involved youth, in
addition to before- and afterschool and summer programs. Through
SafeFutures, existing programs will receive funding to provide
recreational and cultural activities for project youth. Seattle Team For
Youth and the Minority Outreach Program will promote positive attachment
of youth with their school, family, and peers; reduce contact with gang
members; and increase decisionmaking and conflict resolution skills.
Safe Schools will revise current school policies and implement
strategies to redirect 100 youth who would normally be expelled to
alternative schools.

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

TEDRICO'S PAGE