Re: homeless bums ought to work - your reply?

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:07:16 PDT

Tom,

   If I hadn't already given you a Voice of the Homeless Award, you'd
certainly deserve one for those powerful, inspiring, yet true, words!  I
still judge everyone, bums, hoodlum, crooks, and normal people, if there
are any! But like you, I do it person, by person! Nuff said!

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

_________________________
TEDRICO'S PAGE
http://members.xoom.com/tedrico/?homelessness
<tedrico@hotmail.com>

Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Virginia, thanks your reply on whether to tell panhandlers to get jobs.
>Your answer seems from the heart and deeply informed.
>
>I sometimes give money to panhandlers I know, when I have a little
extra.
>Ocasionally, I ask street friends for change myself.  These same
>panhandlers give me change when I'm broke.  I don't feel guilty about
>asking, partly because I helped set up an eight year old Sunday meal
>program that feeds a bunch of them, me included.  Sharing's a part of
"bum
>ways".
>
>If people don't want to work paid jobs, I pass no judgment on them.
They
>may be helping their neighbors or themselves in ways I do not witness.
And
>some paid jobs hurt the environment or harm people.  So I know I can't
be
>certain of what's moral or useful for all individuals in all
circumstances.

>Streetpeople I see as the one subgroup of homeless folks that fewest
want
>to help.  Personally, I love many "bums", as Steinbeck loved the "bums"
in
>his novels.  Yet among them are theives I wouldn't let in my squat, and
>assailants whom I avoid.  I still judge, I guess, but I judge person by
>person.--Tom
>
>Virginia wrote:
>>We dont live in a big city or Mayberry here either.  I do agree with
one
>>thing the person wrote = and that is I do not want to support drug or
>>alcohol habits either -- and mostly in Cheyenne when people ask for
money
>>for food (which, by the way is available 3 times a day or more
everyday of
>>the week, so you know that chances are they do not want it for food)
then
>>whoever is approached usually offers to take them to a restaurant and
feed
>>them -- which is fine if they really want food -- if they do not want
food
>>then they turn it down and go on to the next person.  Here most of the
will
>>work for food signs are phoney -- just wanting a handout and they do
not
>>want it, in most cases, for food.  Offer them a job and see what kind
of
>>excuses they come up with as to why they cannot take it -- We have
limited
>>facilities as does everyone, but we do have food available -- for
travelers,
>>for those staying around, and shelter if they want it -- In Cheyenne
if
>>people want a job they can get one -- it might not be much, but it can
get
>>you off the street if you use your money for food and shelter -- but
there
>>are plenty of homeless people who are unable to work because of
>>disabilities, mental illness, whatever.  Telling them to get a job
doesnt
>>work either.  I hate to say the following, but in Cheyenne, which is
on 2
>>interstates and 2 main Railroad lines, we see a lot of transients who
will
>>be transients and without a regular place to stay forever, even with
the end
>>of homelessness -- now lots of people will want to argue with that,
but it
>>is true nonetheless, and a lot of these people do not want to do
anything
>>but freeload -- they don't go by the old time hobo code or any other
code
>>than the world owes them a living.  BUT they are in the minority --
the
>>freeloaders that is, and unfortunately they spoil everything for
everyone
>>else by giving a bad name to the entire problem. If there had never
been
>>food stamp abuse there would not need to be a cut back in food stams
for
>>example.  Those guys who used to travel from state to state doing
nothing
>>but collecting stamps for the most part can't do it anymore -- if a
few
>>people were not abusing the system things would be available for all.
If a