Re: (off-HPN) Re: homeless bums ought to work - your reply?

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 08:44:40 PDT

Virginia,

    I agree with you about moving on to the next person if the one you
offer to buy a meal for would rather have the cash. As a former addict,
I was always thankful when someone offered to buy me a meal instead of
giving me money because I knew ddep down inside that my body always
needed the nourishment! For every one person that bought me a meal I
usually ran across 3 or 4 more in a panhandling session that would give
me cash, and of course I'd turn around and give it to the dope man.
However, that would have no bearing on the blessing from above the
people who gave me money would receive for simply having given from
their hearts, as does the bible commands so! Nuff said!

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

_________________________
TEDRICO'S PAGE
http://members.xoom.com/tedrico/?homelessness
<tedrico@hotmail.com>

Virginia Sellner <wch@vcn.com> wrote:

>We dont live in a big city or Mayberry here either.  I do agree with
one
>thing the person wrote - and that is I do not want to support drug or
>alcohol habits either -- and mostly in Cheyenne when people ask for
money
>for food (which, by the way is available 3 times a day or more everyday
of
>the week, so you know that chances are they do not want it for food)
then
>whoever is approached usually offers to take them to a restaurant and
feed
>them -- which is fine if they really want food -- if they do not want
food
>then they turn it down and go on to the next person.  Here most of the
will
>work for food signs are phoney -- just wanting a handout and they do
not
>want it, in most cases, for food.  Offer them a job and see what kind
of
>excuses they come up with as to why they cannot take it -- We have
limited
>facilities as does everyone, but we do have food available -- for
travelers,
>for those staying around, and shelter if they want it -- In Cheyenne if
>people want a job they can get one -- it might not be much, but it can
get
>you off the street if you use your money for food and shelter -- but
there
>are plenty of homeless people who are unable to work because of
>disabilities, mental illness, whatever.  Telling them to get a job
doesnt
>work either.  I hate to say the following, but in Cheyenne, which is on
2
>interstates and 2 main Railroad lines, we see a lot of transients who
will
>be transients and without a regular place to stay forever, even with
the end
>of homelessness -- now lots of people will want to argue with that, but
it
>is true nonetheless, and a lot of these people do not want to do
anything
>but freeload -- they don't go by the old time hobo code or anyother
code
>than the world owes them a living.  BUT they are in the minority -- the
>freeloaders that is, and unfortunately they spoil everything for
everyone
>else by giving a bad name to the entire problem. If there had never
been
>food stamp abuse there would not need to be a cut back in food stams
for
>example.  Those guys who used to travel from state to state doing
nothing
>but collecting stamps for the most part can't do it anymore -- if a few
>people were not abusing the system things would be available for all.
If a
>few people were not just bing bums then the name bum would not be
attached o
>homelessness.  I do somewhat agree with the person below because I know
that
>if someone wants or needs something in this town they can come by it
>without creating problems with pushy panhandling, using phony reasons
to get
>things -- the only persons I have actually given money to however, are
the
>ones who are honest and ask for money for booze -- the others I won't
--  so
>I guess I contradicted myself.
>
>And I might add that for some reason the only place that I really have
given
>'handouts' regularly is in Washington DC and don't ask me why I do not
know
>-- for some reason I like their approach I guess -- I have never found
them
>pushy, and they have always been polite whether I gave them soemthing
or not.

>Another contradicition?
>
>Virginia
> Speak only words of truth.
> Speak only of the good qualities of others.
> Be a confidant and carry no tales.
> Dhyani Ywahoo,"Voices of our Ancestors, Cherokee teachings from the
Wisdom