Re: Making use of volunteers

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Fri, 03 Apr 1998 22:44:07 PST

Anitra,

    I've been asked this question time and time again. The questions
began pooring in around the end of January so after gving out the same
Tedrico's Page entitled "Help for the homeless - Helping the homeless
involves donations and volunteering by YOU!" which can be accessed at:

http://members.xoom.com/tedrico/help.html

The results from creating & uploading such a targeted page lessened the
frequency of emails I was receiving concerning this question and
statistically speaking, this particular segment of Tedrico's Page
happens to me my th most requested page for the entire site!

I delight in reading your postings Anitra. You hit it dead on the nose
when you said (and I quote), "I talked about the need for community, and
the importance of relating with live homeless people, one-on-one -- not
just tossing a check to United Way." If you speak as well as you write,
then I'm sure your luncheon speech was effective and motivated some one
in your audience to do something positive for homelessness. Also I
finally got around to checking out your Effective Activism page, so I
took the liberty to help you promote it more, by adding a link to that
page under What's New at Tedrico's Page's:

http://members.xoom.com/tedrico/index.html#new

Keep up the good work and continue to "Write On" :)  NUFF SAID!

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

_________________________
TEDRICO'S PAGE
http://members.xoom.com/tedrico/?homelessness
<tedrico@hotmail.com>

Anitra Freeman <anitra@speakeasy.org> wrote:

>Subject: Making use of volunteers

>I don't know how many of you have gotten to the point where this is an
issue; how do you make use of volunteers?

>Actually, the trigger for my bringing up the subject is that twice in
>twenty-four hours I was asked the same question: "I want to donate some
time and money to helping the homeless; where would my help be the most
effective?"  One was a young man asking by email; the other was an
entire conference room of people at a downtown business that had me in
to give a speech over lunch.

>In both cases I responded that 1) you will be most effective doing
something that excites and enthuses *you*; 2) some needed assistance
requires additional training -- don't expect to walk in off the street
and be greeted with open arms, you will have to make major commitments
and prove yourself before you are able to actually work with children,
abused women, several other populations in need; then 3) I listed some
needs and what individuals can do about them.

>I talked about the need for shelter, of all kinds, and some of the ways
that community members can work with homeless organizations to open up
new shelter in abandoned or under-utilized buildings.  I talked about
the need for community,and the importance of relating with live homeless
people, one-on-one -- not just tossing a check to United Way.  And I
talked about the effectiveness of self-managed, grassroots projects over
bureaucratically-applied "solutions", and urged the folks I talked to to
send any of their donations to programs that the homeless themselves are
involved in running.

>Has anyone else fielded such questions?  What response did you give?
What kind of results came of it?