Re: Making use of volunteers

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 00:46:36 -0800 (PST)

"How do you make use of volunteers?" who want to help homeless people, asks
Anitra.  She's been faced with the question repeatedly, as I have.

Here's the gist of some advice I give when asked about volunteering:

1)  Taylor your work toward homeless people's own aims, not your agenda
"for" them

2)  Know your motives for wanting to help - what you want for yourself.

3)  Treat homeless people as peers, not "charges"

4) Get to know people - homeless and nonhomeless - before you spend time
alone with them.

5)  Make sure any money you give goes - as directly as possible - to
homeless and poor people who help their neighbors.

Along with Anitra, I invite others to comment, amend and expand on our tips
for volunteers.

Thanks for writing, Anitra.--Tom

TO JOIN  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom <wgcp@earthlink.net>