[Hpn] And where were you When it was windy?

Jan LightfoottLane janshouse@yahoo.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:21:09 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2008330899-1206156069=:2628

Dear Bill
  The below is going to an editor or two, I hope it expresses the pain I and others who want to aid the homeless feel.

  Dear Editor:

With the wind howling on this cold winters night which is now spring, and the bright full moon I wonder how many are "sleeping in the rough" that is beneath a tree, or under porch or in a hallway who the owners do not know anyone is there.

  I wonder that because I serve on the Homeless Crisis Hotline informational line in Maine, and nationally. This afternoon had a women who had phone two weeks before. She was told the town would help for a couple nights at a motel.  The motel put up an extra night. She was told not to call what some would call town relief, town welfare or General Assistance for a month.

  This mother phoned me from what we laughingly call the Dept of Health Human Services, who kindly offered to remove her children from her care, but not to make the city follow its general assistance state laws.

  This woman was distraught by my lack of alternatives, and hung up. When I hear the howl of the wind-as today and this evening I wounder how many people are homeless.  And who will die do to homelessness? But there are fates worst then death, its being hopeless.

  When this American system fails to work as it is advertised, when people are overwrought with red tape rather than adequate aid, they are left blowing in the wind.  So where were you when it was windy?  Did you call for the red tape to end and our safety net to work as advertised or like myself were you warm in your home?  Were you like myself not knowing what to do?  I haven't given up. But we need people like you-who care.

  Jabn LightfootLane
  PO Box 62 Hinckley ME 04944
  207/453-2353

--0-2008330899-1206156069=:2628

<DIV>Dear Bill</DIV>  <DIV>The below is going to an editor or two, I hope it expresses the pain I and others who want to aid the homeless feel.</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>Dear Editor:<BR><BR>With the wind howling on this cold winters night which is now spring, and the bright full moon I wonder how many are "sleeping in the rough" that is beneath a tree, or under porch or in a hallway who the owners do not know anyone is there.</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>I wonder that because I serve on the Homeless Crisis Hotline informational line in Maine, and nationally. This afternoon had a women who had phone&nbsp;two weeks&nbsp;before. She was told the town would help for a couple nights at a motel.&nbsp;&nbsp;The motel put up an extra night. She was told not to call what some would call town relief, town welfare or General Assistance for a month.</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>This mother phoned me from what we laughingly call&nbsp;the Dept of Health Human Services, who
 kindly offered to remove her children from her care, but not to make the city follow its general assistance state laws.</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>This woman&nbsp;was distraught by&nbsp;my lack of alternatives, and hung up. When I hear the howl of the wind-as today and this evening I wounder how many people are homeless.&nbsp; And who will die do to homelessness? But there are fates worst then death, its being hopeless. </DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>When this American system fails to work as it is advertised, when people are overwrought with red tape rather than adequate aid, they are left blowing in the wind.&nbsp; So where were you when it was windy?&nbsp; Did you call for the red tape to end and our safety net to work as advertised or like myself were you warm in your home?&nbsp; Were you like myself not knowing what to do?&nbsp; I haven't given up. But we need people like you-who care. </DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>Jabn LightfootLane</DIV>  <DIV>PO Box 62
 Hinckley ME 04944</DIV>  <DIV>207/453-2353&nbsp; </DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
--0-2008330899-1206156069=:2628--