[Hpn] And where were you When it was windy?

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sat, 22 Mar 2008 03:29:26 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C88BCC.EE0EB670

From: Jan LightfoottLane=20

Dear Editor:

With the wind howling on this cold winters night which is now spring, =
and the bright full moon I wonder how many are "sleeping in the rough" =
that is beneath a tree, or under porch or in a hallway who the owners do =
not know anyone is there.

I wonder that because I serve on the Homeless Crisis Hotline =
informational line in Maine, and nationally. This afternoon had a women =
who had phone two weeks before. She was told the town would help for a =
couple nights at a motel.  The motel put up an extra night. She was told =
not to call what some would call town relief, town welfare or General =
Assistance for a month.

This mother phoned me from what we laughingly call the Dept of Health =
Human Services, who kindly offered to remove her children from her care, =
but not to make the city follow its general assistance state laws.

This woman was distraught by my lack of alternatives, and hung up. When =
I hear the howl of the wind-as today and this evening I wounder how many =
people are homeless.  And who will die do to homelessness? But there are =
fates worst then death, its being hopeless.=20

When this American system fails to work as it is advertised, when people =
are overwrought with red tape rather than adequate aid, they are left =
blowing in the wind.  So where were you when it was windy?  Did you call =
for the red tape to end and our safety net to work as advertised or like =
myself were you warm in your home?  Were you like myself not knowing =
what to do?  I haven't given up. But we need people like you-who care.=20

Jabn LightfootLane
PO Box 62 Hinckley ME 04944
207/453-2353 =20

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C88BCC.EE0EB670

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>#ygrp-mkp {
	BORDER-RIGHT: #d8d8d8 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 14px; BORDER-TOP: =
#d8d8d8 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 14px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 14px =
0px; BORDER-LEFT: #d8d8d8 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: =
#d8d8d8 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial
}
#ygrp-mkp HR {
	BORDER-RIGHT: #d8d8d8 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d8d8d8 1px solid; =
BORDER-LEFT: #d8d8d8 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d8d8d8 1px solid
}
#ygrp-mkp #hd {
	FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 85%; MARGIN: 10px 0px; COLOR: #628c2a; =
LINE-HEIGHT: 122%
}
#ygrp-mkp #ads {
	MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px
}
#ygrp-mkp .ad {
	PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; =
PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
#ygrp-mkp .ad A {
	COLOR: #0000ff; TEXT-DECORATION: none
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.3268" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><B>From:</B> <A title=3Djanshouse@yahoo.com=20
href=3D"mailto:janshouse@yahoo.com">Jan LightfoottLane</A> </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dear Editor:<BR><BR>With the wind howling on this cold winters =
night which=20
is now spring, and the bright full moon I wonder how many are "sleeping =
in the=20
rough" that is beneath a tree, or under porch or in a hallway who the =
owners do=20
not know anyone is there.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I wonder that because I serve on the Homeless Crisis Hotline =
informational=20
line in Maine, and nationally. This afternoon had a women who had =
phone&nbsp;two=20
weeks&nbsp;before. She was told the town would help for a couple nights =
at a=20
motel.&nbsp;&nbsp;The motel put up an extra night. She was told not to =
call what=20
some would call town relief, town welfare or General Assistance for a=20
month.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This mother phoned me from what we laughingly call&nbsp;the Dept of =
Health=20
Human Services, who kindly offered to remove her children from her care, =
but not=20
to make the city follow its general assistance state laws.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This woman&nbsp;was distraught by&nbsp;my lack of alternatives, and =
hung=20
up. When I hear the howl of the wind-as today and this evening I wounder =
how=20
many people are homeless.&nbsp; And who will die do to homelessness? But =
there=20
are fates worst then death, its being hopeless. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>When this American system fails to work as it is advertised, when =
people=20
are overwrought with red tape rather than adequate aid, they are left =
blowing in=20
the wind.&nbsp; So where were you when it was windy?&nbsp; Did you call =
for the=20
red tape to end and our safety net to work as advertised or like myself =
were you=20
warm in your home?&nbsp; Were you like myself not knowing what to =
do?&nbsp; I=20
haven't given up. But we need people like you-who care. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jabn LightfootLane</DIV>
<DIV>PO Box 62 Hinckley ME 04944</DIV>
<DIV>207/453-2353&nbsp; </DIV>