[Hpn] Re: [homelessness-poverty] America is becoming a Third World country-lack of Civil Rights

Jan LightfoottLane janshouse@yahoo.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:27:35 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2110876516-1205861255=:58225

Band-aids will Not Cure Poverty.
By Jan LightfootLane

 As you may or may not  know, Hospitality House Inc. is a small Maine non-profit  group working with other small national groups to end 100% of poverty.   We have found all homelessness is due to Poverty.  We seek Caring people to assist us in getting out the news on HOW TO END POVERTY FOR ALL.

End 100% of Poverty too 100% of the people is our motto.  $300. for each person is but a band-aid to recession. Recession are caused by faulty ideas.

I have happily devoted 25 years of my life to ending the suffering of others in poverty.  Without effectively pointing out the root causes of poverty my work is far from complete.  With your help Ideas can be improved.
While programs are great when they work, the real cause of human lack are our ideas. The “Conservatives” believes the underpaid, are lazy, and of immoral fiber.-If that were so there would be no working poor. Nationally the working poor comprises 65% of all poor. Here in Maine it’s close to 82% of the underpaid are the working poor.
Even the Progressives who pity us, and treat us like children as well meaning as they are-they keep us silent unable to carry a word of the real barriers ourselves.  We do not need handouts if simply everyone BELIEVED it’s fair to pay all workers the real cost of living. These supplemental aid are aimed at providing partial aid.
In time of state or Federal budget shortfall, when the numbers of the poor increase, handouts or programs are the first to be considered to be cut.
 One can not even aim for wiping out a whopping  50% of poverty, and be aiming at the cause of poverty.  Yes I am radical or basic enough to aim for 100% of all poverty being erased.  We would have to admit it’s the idea that it’s just fine to pay people working as hard as they can, not enough to pay the inflated rent price.
Hospitality House Inc. is focusing on a better format of pay.   It  is calling for a spiritual format of pay.  One where 80% of ones pay to cover the essentials 10% for saving, and 10% of the weekly income for recreation, hobbies, and vacation.
 I believe in the Universal Declaration of Economic stability, created by the United Nations and passed by many counties in 1947.  That everyone who works should earn a decent wage.  And the USA President Carter signed Oct 30th 1977.  That is enough for all the bills, enough to save, and enough for a vacation. That is the religious format of paying workers.
As someone in poverty, as someone working statewide with the homeless, for 25 years, I say costs and profits must remain stable, for this “decent wage” to work.  And we must focus not upon band-aids for some, but upon a real solution for 95% to 100%.
In the past time of Budget Shortfall 1993 the then welfare director, wrote to the Members of Appropriations & Human Resource Committee. For the actual need of $873.00 a month, we pay only $468. In the best case scenario of this household being eligible for 203 in food stamps, and $399.00 in AFDC special needs plus $69.00 in General Assistance –this family falls $202.00 short of their basic survival necessities. This caring person wrote not just as the Officer of Millinocket but as the state of  "Maine Welfare Directors Association. "
The average rent at that point of 1993 was figured at $348.00. Today  in 2008, rents are about $600.00 and more. Only GA and Food stamps remain the same.
As I said in the March Hospitality House meeting, To begin this effective campaign we need  between the $5,000 and $10,000 a month required for getting the word out on how broken is our America aid system.  We start with this informative letter and the hopes that our friends will contribute what-ever they can.
 A workable solution to poverty is:
 1) Have a forum from which the underpaid can speak, and exchange an open debate.  A Free expression forum in newspapers and on Internet. Speaking freely was an aim of Americas founding fathers. NO Censorship of ideas would be the principal of this goal.
2) Have a decent wage. Workers should no longer work for a pay rate of 1/2 of their needs.   When a decent wage is $20. an hour stores and other employers should not pay $8.50.  Decent wage is 80% of pay rate after taxes covers  the essentials . 10% is for saving, and the last 10% is for vacation, or recreation., along with unexpected emergencies.
3) People of all races,  and incomes can enjoy their civil rights, as the right the poor has, to be told the truth about Town relief by trusted officials.
Please past on this request to make people aware of the problem, post this where-ever you can, in churches, schools, clubs, etc. Need Volunteers, web genious,  media to tell our stories, as well as cash to advertise.

Hospitality House Inc. will End Poverty,in Maine, then that model can be carried to other groups.  We need to get out the word how to cure 100% of poverty, both nationally as well as in Maine.

Besides living 50 out of 57 years in poverty , and being homeless as a kid and an adult, I have read many books and empirical articles on poverty, class etc. I have a copy of a 1600 century English law saying the “Deserving poor need help while those who create their own problem deserves jail.”  This indicates the attitudes against the under-paid, have not changed.
It matters little to the hungry if they are called the Poor, the low-income, on the breadline, or the destitute or impoverished.  The name is immaterial when ones belly gnarls with hunger pains.  I was born into the class of the hungry. I feel more comfortable in a soup kitchen being with the clients then the workers. But often I am given a choice.

When I sit with staffers of a soup kitchen, I learn the servers mostly are  for lack of better words “sucking up to god,” while treating the underpaid as either Dumb or Lazy .  Not all but some servers make themselves feel important by handing out scrapes of food to the underpaid.  Many servers pity the poor, and some only blame the poor.  Few see’s the poor as themselves, but for the grace of god. If they or their husband lacked a good job they also might be forced to eat at a soup kitchen.
 I learn from the Soup Kitchen eaters, they have the same dreams as someone who makes $50,000 a year. They want the best for their kids. They want to contribute to the community.  But most of their efforts is placed into survival mode.
It is our Ideas which mires a large percentage of Maine workers in poverty.  In Maine 85% of the Poor are the working poor.   As a nation we must believe that pay rates, TANF, SSI should all reflect the real prices to live.  This is an UNTRIED Idea, which its time has arrived. To try the same solution expecting different results is how some define insanity.  It is time for an UNTRIED Solution. 1) Listen to the voices of the Poor. 2) Pay everyone a decent wage. 3) Make Civil Rights more than an empty promise.

Jan LightfootLane
http://hospitalityhouseofmaine.org/

--0-2110876516-1205861255=:58225

 that were so there would be no working poor. Nationally the working poor comprises 65% of all poor. Here in Maine it’s close to 82% of the underpaid are the working poor.<BR>Even the Progressives who pity us, and treat us like children as well meaning as they are-they keep us silent unable to carry a word of the real barriers ourselves.&nbsp; We do not need handouts if simply everyone BELIEVED it’s fair to pay all workers the real cost of living. These supplemental aid are aimed at providing partial aid.&nbsp; <BR>In time of state or Federal budget shortfall, when the numbers of the poor increase, handouts or programs are the first to be considered to be cut. <BR>&nbsp;One can not even aim for wiping out a whopping&nbsp; 50% of poverty, and be aiming at the cause of poverty.&nbsp; Yes I am radical or basic enough to aim for 100% of all poverty being erased.&nbsp; We would have to admit it’s the idea that it’s just fine to pay people working as hard as they can, not enough
 to pay the inflated rent price.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>Hospitality House Inc. is focusing on a better format of pay.&nbsp;&nbsp; It&nbsp; is calling for a spiritual format of pay.&nbsp; One where 80% of ones pay to cover the essentials 10% for saving, and 10% of the weekly income for recreation, hobbies, and vacation.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>&nbsp;I believe in the Universal Declaration of Economic stability, created by the United Nations and passed by many counties in 1947.&nbsp; That everyone who works should earn a decent wage.&nbsp; And the USA President Carter signed Oct 30th 1977.&nbsp; That is enough for all the bills, enough to save, and enough for a vacation. That is the religious format of paying workers.<BR>As someone in poverty, as someone working statewide with the homeless, for 25 years, I say costs and profits must remain stable, for this “decent wage” to work.&nbsp; And we must focus not upon band-aids for some, but upon a real solution for 95% to 100%.<BR>In the past time
 of Budget Shortfall 1993 the then welfare director, wrote to the Members of Appropriations &amp; Human Resource Committee. For the actual need of $873.00 a month, we pay only $468. In the best case scenario of this household being eligible for 203 in food stamps, and $399.00 in AFDC special needs plus $69.00 in General Assistance –this family falls $202.00 short of their basic survival necessities. This caring person wrote not just as the Officer of Millinocket but as the state of&nbsp; "Maine Welfare Directors Association. " <BR>The average rent at that point of 1993 was figured at $348.00. Today&nbsp; in 2008, rents are about $600.00 and more. Only GA and Food stamps remain the same.<BR>As I said in the March Hospitality House meeting, To begin this effective campaign we need&nbsp; between the $5,000 and $10,000 a month required for getting the word out on how broken is our America aid system.&nbsp; We start with this informative letter and the hopes that our friends
 will contribute what-ever they can.<BR>&nbsp;A workable solution to poverty is:<BR>&nbsp;1) Have a forum from which the underpaid can speak, and exchange an open debate.&nbsp; A Free expression forum in newspapers and on Internet. Speaking freely was an aim of Americas founding fathers. NO Censorship of ideas would be the principal of this goal.<BR>2) Have a decent wage. Workers should no longer work for a pay rate of 1/2 of their needs.&nbsp;&nbsp; When a decent wage is $20. an hour stores and other employers should not pay $8.50.&nbsp; Decent wage is 80% of pay rate after taxes covers&nbsp; the essentials . 10% is for saving, and the last 10% is for vacation, or recreation., along with unexpected emergencies.<BR>3) People of all races,&nbsp; and incomes can enjoy their civil rights, as the right the poor has, to be told the truth about Town relief by trusted officials.<BR>Please past on this request to make people aware of the problem, post this where-ever you can, in
 churches, schools, clubs, etc. Need Volunteers, web genious,&nbsp; media to tell our stories, as well as cash to advertise.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Hospitality House Inc. will End Poverty,in Maine, then that model can be carried to other groups.&nbsp; We need to get out the word how to cure 100% of poverty, both nationally as well as in Maine. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>Besides living 50 out of 57 years in poverty , and being homeless as a kid and an adult, I have read many books and empirical articles on poverty, class etc. I have a copy of a 1600 century English law saying the “Deserving poor need help while those who create their own problem deserves jail.”&nbsp; This indicates the attitudes against the under-paid, have not changed.<BR>It matters little to the hungry if they are called the Poor, the low-income, on the breadline, or the destitute or impoverished.&nbsp; The name is immaterial when ones belly gnarls with hunger pains.&nbsp; I was born into the class of the hungry. I feel more
 comfortable in a soup kitchen being with the clients then the workers. But often I am given a choice.&nbsp; <BR>&nbsp;<BR>When I sit with staffers of a soup kitchen, I learn the servers mostly are&nbsp; for lack of better words “sucking up to god,” while treating the underpaid as either Dumb or Lazy .&nbsp; Not all but some servers make themselves feel important by handing out scrapes of food to the underpaid.&nbsp; Many servers pity the poor, and some only blame the poor.&nbsp; Few see’s the poor as themselves, but for the grace of god. If they or their husband lacked a good job they also might be forced to eat at a soup kitchen. <BR>&nbsp;I learn from the Soup Kitchen eaters, they have the same dreams as someone who makes $50,000 a year. They want the best for their kids. They want to contribute to the community.&nbsp; But most of their efforts is placed into survival mode.<BR>It is our Ideas which mires a large percentage of Maine workers in poverty.&nbsp; In Maine 85%
 of the Poor are the working poor.&nbsp;&nbsp; As a nation we must believe that pay rates, TANF, SSI should all reflect the real prices to live.&nbsp; This is an UNTRIED Idea, which its time has arrived. To try the same solution expecting different results is how some define insanity.&nbsp; It is time for an UNTRIED Solution. 1) Listen to the voices of the Poor. 2) Pay everyone a decent wage. 3) Make Civil Rights more than an empty promise.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Jan LightfootLane<BR><A href="http://hospitalityhouseofmaine.org/">http://hospitalityhouseofmaine.org/</A></div>
--0-2110876516-1205861255=:58225--