[Hpn] Spouse sharing detailed

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Tue, 04 Mar 2008 16:17:25 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C87E13.3C02E440

      Spouse sharing detailed=20

      =
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/CityandRegion/2008/03/04/4899716-sun.html

      Tue, March 4, 2008=20

      One woman says pastor Roy Wood promoted what he called the =
"affection program."=20
     =20
       =20
      By JANE SIMS, SUN MEDIA=20
    =20

The request came from a friend and fellow church member, the woman said, =
asking she allow her husband to be shared for their church's =
communication program.=20

The woman said she wasn't the jealous type and agreed to allow her =
friend to share physical affection, coffee and dates with her spouse.=20

Her pastor, Royden Wood of the now-defunct Ambassador Baptist Church, =
was encouraging what was known as the "affection program."=20

But as the program went on, the two friends' relationship deteriorated =
and the woman's friend's husband left and wouldn't return unless the =
program stopped.=20

Yesterday brought another day of unusual revelations at the Superior =
Court trial of Wood, 57, who has pleaded not guilty to 13 charges -- 10 =
of assault involving the disciplining of three boys who attended the =
London church's alternative school from 1985 to 1987 and three =
sex-related charges involving two females.=20

      Your Ad Here
    =20

After a week-long break, the case returned with the testimony of the =
woman, her identity protected by court order.=20

She was a member for almost two decades before the church folded last =
Oct. 4.=20

She gave a police statement in December. By testifying, she said she's =
lost friends and her husband didn't approve, "but it's increased my =
faith and put me closer to God."=20

The woman spoke of the affection program and said she received unwanted =
affection from men in church, but "I was expected to go along with the =
program."=20

"I was not pleased that there were no spousal limitations set," the =
woman said, adding there were no restrictions on other women kissing her =
husband on the mouth or sitting on his lap or holding hands.=20

Even Wood, she said, preached from the pulpit that some members should =
be getting "speeding tickets" for going too fast.=20

In church there was hand-holding, back massages, teasing and tickling.=20

Wood also taught an unusual view on adultery -- and said it wasn't that =
serious of a sin. The most harmed, he said was the person who committed =
the adultery.=20

Women had little status and were taught to submit to their husbands, she =
said.=20

Makeup and jewelry was discouraged. So were pants.=20

At swimming parties, people swam in their clothes.=20

When the woman asked about makeup and jewelry, Wood would speak about it =
"severely." Her husband asked her not to ask questions. "Just go along =
and don't make waves."=20

The woman recalled that at one point, every woman would come to church =
in long denim skirts, running shoes and sweatshirts.=20

Wood said latest fashion was "ungodly" and by dressing down the homeless =
and addicts would feel comfortable sitting in the church.=20

"We did that to look separate from what we called 'the world,' " she =
said.=20

Wood told the congregation women "should be treated like princesses" and =
a woman's body was "a thing of beauty."=20

The woman said Wood taught it was acceptable for men to look at other =
women. Not doing so might result in erectile problems that would cause a =
man to lose his relationship with his wife.=20

Birth control was also discouraged, she said.=20

The woman said Wood would raise "negative innuendos" about all the =
families that left the church. He called them "thumb-sucking Christians" =
and spoke of them in a poor light.=20

Members were discouraged from speaking to people who left.=20

"God's quitter department was full," was something Wood would say.=20

"We were in fear of bringing anything to him because we would be =
negatively spoken of by him," she said.=20

The woman said Wood was in control of all aspects of the church and =
warned he would veto any decisions he didn't agree with.=20

After charges were laid, there was a "hands-off" policy at the church, =
which she said was a "complete change for Wood."=20

He told the congregation he was "being persecuted by people because he =
was doing God's work."=20

"He was getting rewards in heaven because he was being persecuted and he =
was happy because of it," she said.=20

She said about one-third of the congregation "still sides with Roy."=20

The trial continues today.

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C87E13.3C02E440

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 width=3D448 border=3D0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD>
      <DIV class=3Darticle_headline><B>Spouse sharing detailed =
</B></DIV>
      <DIV class=3Darticle_headline><BR><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
      =
href=3D"http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/CityandRegion/2008/03/04/4899716-sun.=
html">http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/CityandRegion/2008/03/04/4899716-sun.ht=
ml</A></FONT></DIV>
      <DIV class=3Darticle_headline><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV class=3Darticle_body>Tue, March 4, 2008 </DIV>
      <DIV class=3Darticle_body><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV class=3Darticle_overtitle><FONT color=3D#3277a2><B>One woman =
says pastor=20
      Roy Wood promoted what he called the "affection program."=20
      </B></FONT><BR></DIV></TD>
    <TD vAlign=3Dtop align=3Dright width=3D230>
      <DIV class=3DarticleControls>&nbsp;</DIV> </TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD colSpan=3D2>
      <DIV class=3Darticle_credit><B>By <A =
href=3D"mailto:jsims@lfpress.com">JANE=20
      SIMS</A>, SUN MEDIA </B><BR></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<SCRIPT language=3Djavascript>checkCookie();</SCRIPT>

<DIV>
<DIV id=3DtextResize>
<P>The request came from a friend and fellow church member, the woman =
said,=20
asking she allow her husband to be shared for their church's =
communication=20
program.=20
<P>The woman said she wasn't the jealous type and agreed to allow her =
friend to=20
share physical affection, coffee and dates with her spouse.=20
<P>Her pastor, Royden Wood of the now-defunct Ambassador Baptist Church, =
was=20
encouraging what was known as the "affection program."=20
<P>But as the program went on, the two friends' relationship =
deteriorated and=20
the woman's friend's husband left and wouldn't return unless the program =

stopped.=20
<P>Yesterday brought another day of unusual revelations at the Superior =
Court=20
trial of Wood, 57, who has pleaded not guilty to 13 charges -- 10 of =
assault=20
involving the disciplining of three boys who attended the London =
church's=20
alternative school from 1985 to 1987 and three sex-related charges =
involving two=20
females. <BR clear=3Dright><BR clear=3Dright><BR clear=3Dright>
<TABLE cellPadding=3D2 align=3Dright border=3D0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD><!-- BIG BOX HERE -->
      <SCRIPT type=3Dtext/javascript>
     fctAdTag("bigbox",MyGenericTagVar,1);
</SCRIPT>

      <SCRIPT=20
      =
src=3D"http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/can.en.smc.londonfreepress/cityandre=
gion;tile=3D2;sz=3D300x250;pos=3D1;hp=3D0;ord=3D5473815443?"=20
      type=3Dtext/javascript></SCRIPT>

      <SCRIPT=20
      =
src=3D"http://ads.adbrite.com/mb/text_group.php?sid=3D587523&amp;zs=3D333=
0305f323530"=20
      type=3Dtext/javascript></SCRIPT>

      <DIV><A style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial"=20
      =
href=3D"http://www.adbrite.com/mb/commerce/purchase_form.php?opid=3D58752=
3&amp;afsid=3D1"=20
      target=3D_top>Your Ad Here</A></DIV><IFRAME=20
      =
src=3D"http://ads.adbrite.com/adserver/display_iab_ads.php?sid=3D587523&a=
mp;title_color=3D0000FF&amp;text_color=3D000000&amp;background_color=3DFF=
FFFF&amp;border_color=3DFFFFFF&amp;newwin=3D&amp;zs=3D&amp;width=3D300&am=
p;height=3D250&amp;url=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Flfpress.ca%2Fnewsstand%2FCityandReg=
ion%2F2008%2F03%2F04%2F4899716-sun.html"=20
      frameBorder=3D0 width=3D300 scrolling=3Dno =
height=3D250></IFRAME><!-- <SCRIPT =
language=3D'JavaScript1.1'SRC=3D"http://ads5.canoe.ca/js.ng/site=3Dsun_me=
dia&VChannel=3Dlondonfreepress&SubChannel=3Dnews&position=3Dbigbox&HChann=
el=3Dnews">
</SCRIPT>
 --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<P>After a week-long break, the case returned with the testimony of the =
woman,=20
her identity protected by court order.=20
<P>She was a member for almost two decades before the church folded last =
Oct. 4.=20

<P>She gave a police statement in December. By testifying, she said =
she's lost=20
friends and her husband didn't approve, "but it's increased my faith and =
put me=20
closer to God."=20
<P>The woman spoke of the affection program and said she received =
unwanted=20
affection from men in church, but "I was expected to go along with the =
program."=20

<P>"I was not pleased that there were no spousal limitations set," the =
woman=20
said, adding there were no restrictions on other women kissing her =
husband on=20
the mouth or sitting on his lap or holding hands.=20
<P>Even Wood, she said, preached from the pulpit that some members =
should be=20
getting "speeding tickets" for going too fast.=20
<P>In church there was hand-holding, back massages, teasing and =
tickling.=20
<P>Wood also taught an unusual view on adultery -- and said it wasn't =
that=20
serious of a sin. The most harmed, he said was the person who committed =
the=20
adultery.=20
<P>Women had little status and were taught to submit to their husbands, =
she=20
said.=20
<P>Makeup and jewelry was discouraged. So were pants.=20
<P>At swimming parties, people swam in their clothes.=20
<P>When the woman asked about makeup and jewelry, Wood would speak about =
it=20
"severely." Her husband asked her not to ask questions. "Just go along =
and don't=20
make waves."=20
<P>The woman recalled that at one point, every woman would come to =
church in=20
long denim skirts, running shoes and sweatshirts.=20
<P>Wood said latest fashion was "ungodly" and by dressing down the =
homeless and=20
addicts would feel comfortable sitting in the church.=20
<P>"We did that to look separate from what we called 'the world,' " she =
said.=20
<P>Wood told the congregation women "should be treated like princesses" =
and a=20
woman's body was "a thing of beauty."=20
<P>The woman said Wood taught it was acceptable for men to look at other =
women.=20
Not doing so might result in erectile problems that would cause a man to =
lose=20
his relationship with his wife.=20
<P>Birth control was also discouraged, she said.=20
<P>The woman said Wood would raise "negative innuendos" about all the =
families=20
that left the church. He called them "thumb-sucking Christians" and =
spoke of=20
them in a poor light.=20
<P>Members were discouraged from speaking to people who left.=20
<P>"God's quitter department was full," was something Wood would say.=20
<P>"We were in fear of bringing anything to him because we would be =
negatively=20
spoken of by him," she said.=20
<P>The woman said Wood was in control of all aspects of the church and =
warned he=20
would veto any decisions he didn't agree with.=20
<P>After charges were laid, there was a "hands-off" policy at the =
church, which=20
she said was a "complete change for Wood."=20
<P>He told the congregation he was "being persecuted by people because =
he was=20
doing God's work."=20
<P>"He was getting rewards in heaven because he was being persecuted and =
he was=20
happy because of it," she said.=20
<P>She said about one-third of the congregation "still sides with Roy."=20
<P>The trial continues today.</P></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C87E13.3C02E440--