[Hpn] NH: In a state over state of the union?

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:35:23 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00B9_01C86180.577CBD40

NH: In a state over state of the union?
By CLYNTON NAMUO AND GRETA CUYLER
Union Leader Correspondents =20

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=3DNH%3A+In+a+state+over+=
state+of+the+union%3F&articleId=3D8d056013-3186-481c-b972-42730c9caea1

The state of the union is in peril.

At least that's what residents across the state are saying. In =
interviews statewide, the New Hampshire Union Leader found many people =
concerned with an ailing economy hurt by rising fuel prices and the =
sub-prime mortgage meltdown, an ongoing war in Iraq and a health care =
system that leaves large numbers of people without help.

Those same residents said they are looking to a new President for =
solace, no matter who he or she may be.

"The economy is in trouble," said Dennis Lizotte, a small-business owner =
from Northwood. "Everywhere you go you see houses for sale and people =
out of work."

Lizotte, 66, works construction, but business has been slow enough that =
he was recently forced to take a small logging job 150 miles north. He =
can't afford health insurance for himself or his wife and counts himself =
lucky that their five children are covered by the state.=20

"We need a President who pays more attention to us," Lizotte said.

Signs of despair are growing, many residents said.

Heather Haynes, 37, has watched the homeless population in her =
Manchester neighborhood swell. As a manager in a health care management =
company, Haynes said her job, and future, are relatively secure. After =
all, everyone needs health care. But others clearly are not so lucky, =
she said.

"We're supposed to be the leader of the free world and yet our society =
makes it such that you have people who make millions and millions and =
people who are starving and don't have homes," Haynes said while taking =
a break at Slammers Billiards in Bedford.

Younger residents are feeling the economic pinch, too.

Andrew Murphy, 22, and Eric Grenier, 23, are both recent college =
graduates who have returned home to Berlin and are working at their =
first jobs. The times, they said, make it difficult to get started.

Murphy said his view of the state of the union is that it parallels what =
is going on in his hometown.

"I think it's a cross-view look at how it relates to Berlin," he said. =
"There's the housing crisis and the mortgage and real estate situation. =
The economy in general - the budget deficit - it's not on the positive =
side."

David Batten of Derry interrupted his winter pruning of apple trees at =
an orchard in Londonderry to put in his two cents. What is the single =
biggest issue on his mind?

"The economy," he said.

Despite the rising malaise, some hope for a bright future.

"I'm a pretty big optimist; I see good things coming," said University =
of New Hampshire sophomore Douglas Young, 20, of Windham.=20

Other UNH students were "optimists," too. Sophomore Nichole Dinato said =
things can always get worse.

"The economy and politics are all cyclical. It will all eventually get =
better, and it will all eventually get worse," said Dinato, of =
Greenland. "We're not entering the apocalypse or anything."

At 26, Dinato has a different perspective from most UNH students. A =
former executive assistant, she entered college late. She is making do =
with odd jobs and looking for work as a waitress, but with money running =
short, she has considered going back to work as an assistant part time.

"The stuff they were offering me was pathetic," she said of local =
salaries compared with the Boston pay she was used to. "I'm trying to be =
responsible, but I'm also following a dream."

Still, others across the state said that even with jobs uncertain, the =
country for the most part is doing just fine.

"The economy is the only part that needs work," said John Fadden, 24, of =
Bethlehem, who manages Peg's Coffee Shop in North Woodstock

Fadden said that unlike others, he is not depressed about the country's =
present state and sticks with the American edict of freedom for all.

"We're the land of promise," he said. "Everything is what you make of =
it."

William Charles Tinker, Sr.
New Hampshire Homeless
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.
1-603-286-2492
http://www.missingkids.com
http://www.nationalhomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org
newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com

------=_NextPart_000_00B9_01C86180.577CBD40

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H1 id=3D_ctl0_articleShow_hlCont><A id=3DpageTop name=3DpageTop></A>NH: =
In a state=20
over state of the union?</H1>
<P>By CLYNTON NAMUO AND GRETA CUYLER<BR>Union Leader =
Correspondents&nbsp;<!-- Begin -  Site: Union Leader Corporation Zone: =
Wide Skyscraper -->
<SCRIPT language=3Djavascript type=3Dtext/javascript>
<!--
var browName =3D navigator.appName;
var SiteID =3D 1;
var ZoneID =3D 54;
var browDateTime =3D (new Date()).getTime();
if (browName=3D=3D'Netscape')
{
document.write('<s'+'cript lang' + 'uage=3D"jav' + 'ascript" =
src=3D"http://stats.unionleader.com/ad.aspx?ZoneID=3D' + ZoneID + =
'&amp;Task=3DGet&amp;IFR=3DFalse&amp;Browser=3DNETSCAPE4&amp;PageID=3D420=
79&amp;SiteID=3D' + SiteID + '&amp;Random=3D' + browDateTime + '">'); =
document.write('</'+'scr'+'ipt>');
}
if (browName!=3D'Netscape')
{
document.write('<s'+'cript lang' + 'uage=3D"jav' + 'ascript" =
src=3D"http://stats.unionleader.com/ad.aspx?ZoneID=3D' + ZoneID + =
'&amp;Task=3DGet&amp;IFR=3DFalse&amp;PageID=3D42079&amp;SiteID=3D' + =
SiteID + '&amp;Random=3D' + browDateTime + '">'); =
document.write('</'+'scr'+'ipt>');
}
// -->=20
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT language=3Djavascript=20
src=3D"http://stats.unionleader.com/ad.aspx?ZoneID=3D54&amp;Task=3DGet&am=
p;IFR=3DFalse&amp;PageID=3D42079&amp;SiteID=3D1&amp;Random=3D120152360495=
3"></SCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT>&nbsp;</NOSCRIPT></P>
<P><NOSCRIPT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=3DNH%3A+In+a+sta=
te+over+state+of+the+union%3F&amp;articleId=3D8d056013-3186-481c-b972-427=
30c9caea1">http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=3DNH%3A+In+a+=
state+over+state+of+the+union%3F&amp;articleId=3D8d056013-3186-481c-b972-=
42730c9caea1</A></FONT></NOSCRIPT><!-- End -  Site: Union Leader =
Corporation Zone: Wide Skyscraper --></P>
<DIV>
<P>The state of the union is in peril.</P>
<P>At least that's what residents across the state are saying. In =
interviews=20
statewide, the New Hampshire Union Leader found many people concerned =
with an=20
ailing economy hurt by rising fuel prices and the sub-prime mortgage =
meltdown,=20
an ongoing war in Iraq and a health care system that leaves large =
numbers of=20
people without help.</P>
<P>Those same residents said they are looking to a new President for =
solace, no=20
matter who he or she may be.</P>
<P>"The economy is in trouble," said Dennis Lizotte, a small-business =
owner from=20
Northwood. "Everywhere you go you see houses for sale and people out of=20
work."</P>
<P>Lizotte, 66, works construction, but business has been slow enough =
that he=20
was recently forced to take a small logging job 150 miles north. He =
can't afford=20
health insurance for himself or his wife and counts himself lucky that =
their=20
five children are covered by the state. </P>
<P>"We need a President who pays more attention to us," Lizotte =
said.</P>
<P>Signs of despair are growing, many residents said.</P>
<P>Heather Haynes, 37, has watched the homeless population in her =
Manchester=20
neighborhood swell. As a manager in a health care management company, =
Haynes=20
said her job, and future, are relatively secure. After all, everyone =
needs=20
health care. But others clearly are not so lucky, she said.</P>
<P>"We're supposed to be the leader of the free world and yet our =
society makes=20
it such that you have people who make millions and millions and people =
who are=20
starving and don't have homes," Haynes said while taking a break at =
Slammers=20
Billiards in Bedford.</P>
<P>Younger residents are feeling the economic pinch, too.</P>
<P>Andrew Murphy, 22, and Eric Grenier, 23, are both recent college =
graduates=20
who have returned home to Berlin and are working at their first jobs. =
The times,=20
they said, make it difficult to get started.</P>
<P>Murphy said his view of the state of the union is that it parallels =
what is=20
going on in his hometown.</P>
<P>"I think it's a cross-view look at how it relates to Berlin," he =
said.=20
"There's the housing crisis and the mortgage and real estate situation. =
The=20
economy in general - the budget deficit - it's not on the positive =
side."</P>
<P>David Batten of Derry interrupted his winter pruning of apple trees =
at an=20
orchard in Londonderry to put in his two cents. What is the single =
biggest issue=20
on his mind?</P>
<P>"The economy," he said.</P>
<P>Despite the rising malaise, some hope for a bright future.</P>
<P>"I'm a pretty big optimist; I see good things coming," said =
University of New=20
Hampshire sophomore Douglas Young, 20, of Windham. </P>
<P>Other UNH students were "optimists," too. Sophomore Nichole Dinato =
said=20
things can always get worse.</P>
<P>"The economy and politics are all cyclical. It will all eventually =
get=20
better, and it will all eventually get worse," said Dinato, of =
Greenland. "We're=20
not entering the apocalypse or anything."</P>
<P>At 26, Dinato has a different perspective from most UNH students. A =
former=20
executive assistant, she entered college late. She is making do with odd =
jobs=20
and looking for work as a waitress, but with money running short, she =
has=20
considered going back to work as an assistant part time.</P>
<P>"The stuff they were offering me was pathetic," she said of local =
salaries=20
compared with the Boston pay she was used to. "I'm trying to be =
responsible, but=20
I'm also following a dream."</P>
<P>Still, others across the state said that even with jobs uncertain, =
the=20
country for the most part is doing just fine.</P>
<P>"The economy is the only part that needs work," said John Fadden, 24, =
of=20
Bethlehem, who manages Peg's Coffee Shop in North Woodstock</P>
<P>Fadden said that unlike others, he is not depressed about the =
country's=20
present state and sticks with the American edict of freedom for all.</P>
<P>"We're the land of promise," he said. "Everything is what you make of =

it."</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>William Charles Tinker, Sr.<BR>New =
Hampshire=20
Homeless<BR>Founded 11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street<BR>Northfield,N.H. =
03276-1640=20
USA<BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human=20
rights.<BR>1-603-286-2492<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A><BR><A =

href=3D"http://www.nationalhomeless.org">http://www.nationalhomeless.org<=
/A><BR><A=20