[Hpn] More must be done for Spokane's homeless

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:06:21 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C85F8D.C0E3EF50

More must be done for Spokane's homeless
Jake Quinton
http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2008/01/=
25/Opinion/More-Must.Be.Done.For.Spokanes.Homeless-3167893.shtml
Issue date: 1/25/08 Section: Opinion

This isn't an opinion, really. It's not really debatable. Nobody is =
going to write in next week saying that these three people I knew and =
respected are actually alive and well.=20
No one is going to say that the three of them didn't die this last =
month. Nobody is going to opine next issue that a man who I had more =
inside jokes with than many of my friends here on campus wasn't beaten =
to death about a mile from Gonzaga University last week.
Nobody is going to say that a woman I knew, just old enough to be a =
senior here, wasn't strangled in her apartment two weeks ago.
It might be debatable that the third individual froze to death three =
weeks back. I don't believe anyone really knows for sure. His sister =
seemed to think that's what did it.
My state work-study job is down at the House of Charity, a 104-bed =
shelter downtown staffed in large part by Gonzaga University alumni. =
We're part of Catholic Charities here in Spokane, and have been in =
operation for almost half a century.
Out of respect for those who've died, I'm keeping their names private.=20
They didn't really have much in common with each other, as far as I =
could see (I've only been working since September), but they shared a =
memorial service this Wednesday in the House of Charity chapel. They =
share that at least.
They also share the stinging injustice that their deaths will go =
unnoticed by nearly everyone in the Spokane area. Hillary Clinton =
choking up in a coffee shop was plastered all over the national media =
for days, but the choking of a woman only a year older than I am barely =
made the local paper.
But that's fine. Nobody is interested in hearing about one more =
senseless murder on the news. One more lost life. None of you knew her =
anyway.=20
I did. I knew all three of them, and I want you to know that you can =
stop this from happening. Maybe not directly, you might not be destined =
for law enforcement or social work, but let's look at the big picture.=20
We can take our old clothes that are no longer hip enough, and donate =
them. The old coat we'll never wear? It might mean that someone survives =
the night. Sock drawer too full? Extra socks prevent frostbite. Don't =
have any clothes to donate? There are always volunteer opportunities =
available.=20
No time? Simply acknowledging the existence of a person on the street =
may be kindness enough to keep them going.=20
I haven't even mentioned political action.
Working with the homeless population of Spokane has taught me quite a =
bit, but most of it has been about dignity, honor and integrity. Honor =
these people in your own way.=20
I would love to talk further if anyone is interested, but take it from =
me, there are people literally dying in the streets less than two miles =
from the COG. That much isn't just my opinion.=20
Jake Quinton is a senior at Gonzaga.

William Charles Tinker, Sr.
New Hampshire Homeless
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.
1-603-286-2492
http://www.missingkids.com
http://www.nationalhomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org
newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C85F8D.C0E3EF50

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H2>More must be done for Spokane's homeless</H2>
<H3></H3>
<H4>Jake Quinton</H4>
<H4><A=20
href=3D"http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/=
2008/01/25/Opinion/More-Must.Be.Done.For.Spokanes.Homeless-3167893.shtml"=
>http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2008/01=
/25/Opinion/More-Must.Be.Done.For.Spokanes.Homeless-3167893.shtml</A></A>=
</H4>
<DIV id=3Dmeta><STRONG>Issue date:</STRONG> 1/25/08 =
<STRONG>Section:</STRONG> <A=20
title=3DOpinion=20
href=3D"http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/news/2008/01/25/Opinion/">Opinion<=
/A></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dcp_article_clear></DIV>
<SCRIPT language=3DJavascript>=0A=
		function goPage(newindex) {=0A=
			currentLocation =3D getThisPage();=0A=
			cleanedLocation =3D '';=0A=
			// If this is an SHTML request.=0A=
			if (currentLocation.indexOf(".shtml") > -1) {=0A=
				// Detect if this is a request that already has a page specification.=0A=
				if (currentLocation.indexOf("-page") > -1) {=0A=
					cleanedLocation =3D currentLocation.substring(0, =
currentLocation.indexOf("-page")) + '.shtml';=0A=
				} else {=0A=
					cleanedLocation =3D currentLocation;=0A=
				}=0A=
				// Only add the "-pageX" suffix when the page index is higher than 1.=0A=
				if (newindex !=3D 1) {=0A=
					cleanedLocation =3D cleanedLocation.substring(0, =
cleanedLocation.indexOf(".shtml")) + '-page' + newindex + '.shtml';=0A=
				}=0A=
			} else {=0A=
				// Only add the "-pageX" suffix when the page index is higher than 1.=0A=
				if (newindex !=3D 1) {=0A=
					cleanedLocation =3D currentLocation + '&page=3D' + newindex;=0A=
				} else {=0A=
					cleanedLocation =3D currentLocation;=0A=
				}=0A=
			}=0A=
			document.location =3D cleanedLocation;=0A=
		}=0A=
		function getThisPage() {=0A=
			currentURL =3D '' + window.document.location;=0A=
			thispageresult =3D '';=0A=
			if (currentURL.indexOf("?page=3D") > -1) {=0A=
				currentURL =3D currentURL.substring(0, =
currentURL.indexOf('?page=3D'));=0A=
				thispageresult =3D currentURL;=0A=
			} else if (currentURL.indexOf("&page=3D") > -1) {=0A=
				currentURL =3D currentURL.substring(0, =
currentURL.indexOf('&page=3D'));=0A=
				thispageresult =3D currentURL;=0A=
			} else {=0A=
				thispageresult =3D currentURL;=0A=
			}=0A=
			// Make sure the URL generated by this fuctnion is compatible with =
mirror image.=0A=
			thispageresult =3D thispageresult.substring(7, thispageresult.length);=0A=
			thispageresult =3D =
thispageresult.substring(thispageresult.indexOf('/')+1, =
thispageresult.length);=0A=
			thispageresult =3D basehref + thispageresult;=0A=
			if (thispageresult.indexOf('sourcedomain') > -1) {=0A=
				thispageresult =3D thispageresult.substring(0, =
thispageresult.indexOf('?'));=0A=
			}=0A=
			return thispageresult;=0A=
		}=0A=
		</SCRIPT>

<DIV>This isn't an opinion, really. It's not really debatable. Nobody is =
going=20
to write in next week saying that these three people I knew and =
respected are=20
actually alive and well. <BR>No one is going to say that the three of =
them=20
didn't die this last month. Nobody is going to opine next issue that a =
man who I=20
had more inside jokes with than many of my friends here on campus wasn't =
beaten=20
to death about a mile from Gonzaga University last week.<BR>Nobody is =
going to=20
say that a woman I knew, just old enough to be a senior here, wasn't =
strangled=20
in her apartment two weeks ago.<BR>It might be debatable that the third=20
individual froze to death three weeks back. I don't believe anyone =
really knows=20
for sure. His sister seemed to think that's what did it.<BR>My state =
work-study=20
job is down at the House of Charity, a 104-bed shelter downtown staffed =
in large=20
part by Gonzaga University alumni. We're part of Catholic Charities here =
in=20
Spokane, and have been in operation for almost half a century.<BR>Out of =
respect=20
for those who've died, I'm keeping their names private. <BR>They didn't =
really=20
have much in common with each other, as far as I could see (I've only =
been=20
working since September), but they shared a memorial service this =
Wednesday in=20
the House of Charity chapel. They share that at least.<BR>They also =
share the=20
stinging injustice that their deaths will go unnoticed by nearly =
everyone in the=20
Spokane area. Hillary Clinton choking up in a coffee shop was plastered =
all over=20
the national media for days, but the choking of a woman only a year =
older than I=20
am barely made the local paper.<BR>But that's fine. Nobody is interested =
in=20
hearing about one more senseless murder on the news. One more lost life. =
None of=20
you knew her anyway. <BR>I did. I knew all three of them, and I want you =
to know=20
that you can stop this from happening. Maybe not directly, you might not =
be=20
destined for law enforcement or social work, but let's look at the big =
picture.=20
<BR>We can take our old clothes that are no longer hip enough, and =
donate them.=20
The old coat we'll never wear? It might mean that someone survives the =
night.=20
Sock drawer too full? Extra socks prevent frostbite. Don't have any =
clothes to=20
donate? There are always volunteer opportunities available. <BR>No time? =
Simply=20
acknowledging the existence of a person on the street may be kindness =
enough to=20
keep them going. <BR>I haven't even mentioned political =
action.<BR>Working with=20
the homeless population of Spokane has taught me quite a bit, but most =
of it has=20
been about dignity, honor and integrity. Honor these people in your own =
way.=20
<BR>I would love to talk further if anyone is interested, but take it =
from me,=20
there are people literally dying in the streets less than two miles from =
the=20
COG. That much isn't just my opinion. <BR>Jake Quinton is a senior at=20
Gonzaga.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dcp_article_clear><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>William Charles Tinker, Sr.<BR>New =
Hampshire=20
Homeless<BR>Founded 11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street<BR>Northfield,N.H. =
03276-1640=20
USA<BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human=20
rights.<BR>1-603-286-2492<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A><BR><A =

href=3D"http://www.nationalhomeless.org">http://www.nationalhomeless.org<=
/A><BR><A=20