[Hpn] Protestant minister shot dead in Leyte

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:17:13 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00C6_01C85F6D.BE9A0CE0

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/regions/view/20080126-1148=
87/Protestant-minister-shot-dead-in-Leyte

Protestant minister shot dead in Leyte=20

By Joey A. Gabieta
Philippine Daily Inquirer

01/26/2008

TACLOBAN CITY, Philippines--A man on a motorcycle shot dead a Protestant =
pastor in Leyte, the second member of the Philippine clergy to die =
violently in nine days, police said Friday.

Felicisimo Catambis, 60, who belonged to the United Church of Christ in =
the Philippines (UCCP), was himself riding on a motorcyle when he was =
shot in Abuyog town on Wednesday morning.

Pastor Noel Balo, chief of UCCP-Leyte, expressed shock at the death of =
Catambis, the third member from his church to be murdered in the last =
three years.

Catambis sustained nine gunshot wounds in the back, Abuyog town police =
chief Senior Insp. Ismael Lantajo said.

The motive for the killing was not immediately clear.

Another member of the clergy, Roman Catholic priest Rey Roda, was killed =
in Tawi-Tawi on Jan. 15 by gunmen believed to be Abu Sayyaf terrorists, =
who had tried to kidnap him.

Catambis, assigned to the UCCP church in Abuyog, was on his way to the =
town proper when one of two motorcycle-riding men shot him in Barangay =
Balucawe at 7:30 a.m., Lantajo said.

The police recovered nine empty shells of a 9mm pistol from the scene.

A good man
"We are still conducting our investigation as to the motive of the =
killing ... We just hope that those who witnessed the incident would =
come out so they can help us solve the crime," Lantajo said in a =
telephone interview.

"He was a good man. We just hope that our authorities solve the =
killing," Balo said.
In 2005, unidentified armed men shot dead church members Alfred Davis =
and Edison Lapuz. The killings remain unsolved up to today.

22 church workers killed
Catambis is survived by his wife Linda and six children.

Lantajo said that Catambis was not known to be a member of or involved =
with any militant group, based on initial investigation.

"This really puzzles us. Based on our initial talk with the family, they =
don't know of any enemy of Pastor Catambis," he said.

At least 22 church workers were among the nearly 900 victims of =
extrajudicial killings in the Philippines since President Gloria =
Macapagal-Arroyo took office in 2001, according to a list compiled by =
the human rights group Karapatan.

The Inquirer's total number of victims of extrajudicial killings during =
the same period stands at 300.

Sorsogon killing
In Sorsogon City, a court ordered the arrest of an Army intelligence =
agent tagged by the police as behind the killing of peasant leader Willy =
Jeruz.

Judge Boanerges Candolea of Regional Trial Court Branch 53 issued the =
arrest warrant against Randy Ogad, an enlisted personnel of the =
Philippine Army from Daet, Camarines Norte.

The warrant was based on a complaint filed by the Criminal Investigation =
and Detection Group, which identified Ogad as the alleged killer of =
Jeruz, a leader of the Samahang Magsasaka ng Sorsogon-Kilusang =
Magbubukid ng Pilipinas (Samasor-KMP).

Motorcycle owner
The police claim was based on the testimony of two eyewitnesses and on =
Land Transportation Office records showing that a motorcycle used as =
getaway vehicle in the killing was registered in Ogad's name.

Jeruz was shot dead in April 2007 near his house, a week after an Army =
intelligence officer and his driver were ambushed by suspected New =
People's Army rebels.

Jeruz was among 52 members of militant groups killed in Sorsogon who =
have yet to get justice, according to Karapatan.

------=_NextPart_000_00C6_01C85F6D.BE9A0CE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dfontheadline><SPAN class=3Dfontheadline><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/regions/view/20080=
126-114887/Protestant-minister-shot-dead-in-Leyte">http://newsinfo.inquir=
er.net/inquirerheadlines/regions/view/20080126-114887/Protestant-minister=
-shot-dead-in-Leyte</A></FONT></SPAN></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dfontheadline><SPAN=20
class=3Dfontheadline></SPAN></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dfontheadline><SPAN class=3Dfontheadline>Protestant =
minister shot=20
dead in Leyte </SPAN><BR></DIV>
<P class=3Dfontsubheadline></P>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dfontbyline>By Joey A. Gabieta</SPAN><BR><SPAN=20
class=3Dfontbyline>Philippine Daily Inquirer</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dfontbyline></SPAN><BR><SPAN=20
class=3Dfonttimestamp>01/26/2008</SPAN><BR></DIV>
<P class=3Dfonteditor></P>
<P>TACLOBAN CITY, Philippines--A man on a motorcycle shot dead a =
Protestant=20
pastor in Leyte, the second member of the Philippine clergy to die =
violently in=20
nine days, police said Friday.</P>
<P>Felicisimo Catambis, 60, who belonged to the United Church of Christ =
in the=20
Philippines (UCCP), was himself riding on a motorcyle when he was shot =
in Abuyog=20
town on Wednesday morning.</P>
<P>Pastor Noel Balo, chief of UCCP-Leyte, expressed shock at the death =
of=20
Catambis, the third member from his church to be murdered in the last =
three=20
years.</P>
<P>Catambis sustained nine gunshot wounds in the back, Abuyog town =
police chief=20
Senior Insp. Ismael Lantajo said.</P>
<P>The motive for the killing was not immediately clear.</P>
<P>Another member of the clergy, Roman Catholic priest Rey Roda, was =
killed in=20
Tawi-Tawi on Jan. 15 by gunmen believed to be Abu Sayyaf terrorists, who =
had=20
tried to kidnap him.</P>
<P>Catambis, assigned to the UCCP church in Abuyog, was on his way to =
the town=20
proper when one of two motorcycle-riding men shot him in Barangay =
Balucawe at=20
7:30 a.m., Lantajo said.</P>
<P>The police recovered nine empty shells of a 9mm pistol from the =
scene.</P>
<P><STRONG>A good man</STRONG><BR>"We are still conducting our =
investigation as=20
to the motive of the killing ... We just hope that those who witnessed =
the=20
incident would come out so they can help us solve the crime," Lantajo =
said in a=20
telephone interview.</P>
<P>"He was a good man. We just hope that our authorities solve the =
killing,"=20
Balo said.<BR>In 2005, unidentified armed men shot dead church members =
Alfred=20
Davis and Edison Lapuz. The killings remain unsolved up to today.</P>
<P><STRONG>22 church workers killed</STRONG><BR>Catambis is survived by =
his wife=20
Linda and six children.</P>
<P>Lantajo said that Catambis was not known to be a member of or =
involved with=20
any militant group, based on initial investigation.</P>
<P>"This really puzzles us. Based on our initial talk with the family, =
they=20
don't know of any enemy of Pastor Catambis," he said.</P>
<P>At least 22 church workers were among the nearly 900 victims of =
extrajudicial=20
killings in the Philippines since President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo took =
office=20
in 2001, according to a list compiled by the human rights group =
Karapatan.</P>
<P>The Inquirer's total number of victims of extrajudicial killings =
during the=20
same period stands at 300.</P>
<P><STRONG>Sorsogon killing</STRONG><BR>In Sorsogon City, a court =
ordered the=20
arrest of an Army intelligence agent tagged by the police as behind the =
killing=20
of peasant leader Willy Jeruz.</P>
<P>Judge Boanerges Candolea of Regional Trial Court Branch 53 issued the =
arrest=20
warrant against Randy Ogad, an enlisted personnel of the Philippine Army =
from=20
Daet, Camarines Norte.</P>
<P>The warrant was based on a complaint filed by the Criminal =
Investigation and=20
Detection Group, which identified Ogad as the alleged killer of Jeruz, a =
leader=20
of the Samahang Magsasaka ng Sorsogon-Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas=20
(Samasor-KMP).</P>
<P><STRONG>Motorcycle owner</STRONG><BR>The police claim was based on =
the=20
testimony of two eyewitnesses and on Land Transportation Office records =
showing=20
that a motorcycle used as getaway vehicle in the killing was registered =
in=20
Ogad's name.</P>
<P>Jeruz was shot dead in April 2007 near his house, a week after an =
Army=20
intelligence officer and his driver were ambushed by suspected New =
People's Army=20
rebels.</P>
<P>Jeruz was among 52 members of militant groups killed in Sorsogon who =
have yet=20
to get justice, according to Karapatan.</P></SPAN></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00C6_01C85F6D.BE9A0CE0--