[Hpn] More beds needed for homeless women

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:21:59 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C85E0E.5ED464F0

http://officialmissionaustralia.blogspot.com/2008/01/more-beds-needed-for=
-homeless-women.html

Wednesday, January 23, 2008
More beds needed for homeless women=20
It may seem surprising that there are around 42,000 homeless women in =
Australia (2001 Census). However, just because we can't see them, =
doesn't mean they aren't there.

Homeless women are exceptionally harder to count than men. Because of =
the risk factors associated with women sleeping on the streets, those =
that are homeless stay out of sight.=20
For the same security reasons, women are more likely than males to come =
to a homeless shelter for help.

Between 2005 and 2006, over 62,000 women sought help from Supported =
Accommodation Assistance Programs (SAAP). Of those women, the majority =
were aged between 15 to 19 years old.

With more and more women turning to homeless shelters for help, our =
capital cities are experiencing a chronic shortage of beds for homeless =
women.

In Sydney alone, there are only about 150 crisis accommodation beds for =
homeless single women in the Greater Sydney metro area. There are no =
services available west of Parramatta.

In the past 12 months, Mission Australia's 23-bed inner-Sydney crisis =
accommodation service for women, A Woman's Place, helped around 600 =
homeless women, but had to turn away more than 1,000 because of a lack =
of beds and resources.

It was the same story over the Christmas-New Year break with our women's =
drop-in centre in Sydney's Kings Cross, Lou's Place, having to turn =
women away because of the lack of space and resources.

If we can't place homeless women in stable accommodation, it's extremely =
difficult to help them through whatever other issues they may be facing, =
including family conflict, mental illness, drugs or alcohol addiction =
and domestic violence.

The main reasons women in Australia seek housing support are because of =
financial difficulty and relationship or family breakdown or conflict.

>From our experience, the number of homeless women is growing because =
women are less likely to stay in domestic violence situations and there =
is a lack of affordable housing. Additionally, women from rural areas =
and other states are coming to major cities in greater numbers looking =
for job and life opportunities. Without any local support network, if =
things don't work out, sometimes organisations like Mission Australia =
are the only places to turn.

So how do we address this growing issue?

Mission Australia would like to see more resources for homeless women, =
particularly single women, across the country.

Looking at the bigger picture, we need a national housing strategy which =
will help increase affordable housing. Affordable housing acts as both =
an important exit point from homeless services and also as a =
preventative measure against falling into homelessness.

Over the past five years, the number of clients assisted by SAAP =
programs increased by an average of 2% every year, which is a clear =
indicator that the problem is only getting worse. We need to start =
looking at solutions now.

William Charles Tinker, Sr.
New Hampshire Homeless
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.
1-603-286-2492
http://www.missingkids.com
http://www.nationalhomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C85E0E.5ED464F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://officialmissionaustralia.blogspot.com/2008/01/more-beds-ne=
eded-for-homeless-women.html">http://officialmissionaustralia.blogspot.co=
m/2008/01/more-beds-needed-for-homeless-women.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Wednesday, January 23, 2008
<DIV class=3D"post hentry uncustomized-post-template"><A=20
name=3D4767750140136656459></A>
<H3 class=3D"post-title entry-title"><A=20
href=3D"http://officialmissionaustralia.blogspot.com/2008/01/more-beds-ne=
eded-for-homeless-women.html">More=20
beds needed for homeless women</A> </H3>
<DIV class=3Dpost-header-line-1></DIV>
<DIV class=3D"post-body entry-content">
<P>It may seem surprising that there are around 42,000 homeless women in =

Australia (2001 Census). However, just because we can=92t see them, =
doesn=92t mean=20
they aren=92t there.<BR><BR>Homeless women are exceptionally harder to =
count than=20
men. Because of the risk factors associated with women sleeping on the =
streets,=20
those that are homeless stay out of sight. <BR>For the same security =
reasons,=20
women are more likely than males to come to a homeless shelter for=20
help.<BR><BR>Between 2005 and 2006, over 62,000 women sought help from =
Supported=20
Accommodation Assistance Programs (SAAP). Of those women, the majority =
were aged=20
between 15 to 19 years old.<BR><BR>With more and more women turning to =
homeless=20
shelters for help, our capital cities are experiencing a chronic =
shortage of=20
beds for homeless women.<BR><BR>In Sydney alone, there are only about =
150 crisis=20
accommodation beds for homeless single women in the Greater Sydney metro =
area.=20
There are no services available west of Parramatta.<BR><BR>In the past =
12=20
months, Mission Australia=92s 23-bed inner-Sydney crisis accommodation =
service for=20
women, A Woman=92s Place, helped around 600 homeless women, but had to =
turn away=20
more than 1,000 because of a lack of beds and resources.<BR><BR>It was =
the same=20
story over the Christmas-New Year break with our women=92s drop-in =
centre in=20
Sydney=92s Kings Cross, Lou=92s Place, having to turn women away because =
of the lack=20
of space and resources.<BR><BR>If we can=92t place homeless women in =
stable=20
accommodation, it=92s extremely difficult to help them through whatever =
other=20
issues they may be facing, including family conflict, mental illness, =
drugs or=20
alcohol addiction and domestic violence.<BR><BR>The main reasons women =
in=20
Australia seek housing support are because of financial difficulty and=20
relationship or family breakdown or conflict.<BR><BR>From our =
experience, the=20
number of homeless women is growing because women are less likely to =
stay in=20
domestic violence situations and there is a lack of affordable housing.=20
Additionally, women from rural areas and other states are coming to =
major cities=20
in greater numbers looking for job and life opportunities. Without any =
local=20
support network, if things don=92t work out, sometimes organisations =
like Mission=20
Australia are the only places to turn.<BR><BR>So how do we address this =
growing=20
issue?<BR><BR>Mission Australia would like to see more resources for =
homeless=20
women, particularly single women, across the country.<BR><BR>Looking at =
the=20
bigger picture, we need a national housing strategy which will help =
increase=20
affordable housing. Affordable housing acts as both an important exit =
point from=20
homeless services and also as a preventative measure against falling =
into=20
homelessness.<BR><BR>Over the past five years, the number of clients =
assisted by=20
SAAP programs increased by an average of 2% every year, which is a clear =

indicator that the problem is only getting worse. We need to start =
looking at=20
solutions now.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>William Charles Tinker, Sr.<BR>New =
Hampshire=20
Homeless<BR>Founded 11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street<BR>Northfield,N.H. =
03276-1640=20
USA<BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human=20
rights.<BR>1-603-286-2492<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A><BR><A =

href=3D"http://www.nationalhomeless.org">http://www.nationalhomeless.org<=
/A><BR><A=20