[Hpn] Chelsea fire leaves 15 homeless

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 07:39:34 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C85A6E.6FC960B0

Chelsea fire leaves 15 homeless
No serious injuries in 3-alarm blaze
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/01/19/chelsea_fire_leaves_=
15_homeless/

By John R. Ellement=20

Globe Staff / January 19, 2008=20
CHELSEA - There was no humor in the little laugh Jorge Caraballo let out =
as firefighters smashed axes into the roof of his family's home =
yesterday.

He was among 15 people left homeless as a three-alarm fire destroyed =
adjoining apartment buildings on Chestnut Street, including one owned by =
Caraballo.

Although driven from their homes by heavy smoke and fire before 10 a.m. =
- some were alerted to the danger by a passerby, Shawn Kraft - no one =
was injured, officials said.

Holding his son and namesake in a parking lot across from his =
still-burning home, Caraballo chuckled sadly when asked by a reporter =
what he was going to do next.

"Be alive, that's the only thing," he said. "I will say, 'Thank you, =
God,' because I've got my family. It's the only way to keep you going."

Caraballo said that he is also undergoing chemotherapy for liver cancer =
and that his extended family lived in two floors of the building. As he =
spoke, his mother, Luz Caraballo, stood next to him holding her =
parakeet, Cutey Boy.

Chelsea Fire Chief Chuck Fothergill said the fire was difficult to fight =
because of the age of the buildings. No fire breaks were installed, and =
the fire spread up the side and into the roof.

He said neither firefighters nor civilians suffered serious injuries. He =
estimated damage at more than $400,000.

The apartment buildings are located at the intersection of Chestnut and =
William streets. The fire sent a pall of smoke pouring over downtown =
Chelsea and led to the closure of the Beacon Street ramp off the Tobin =
Bridge for several hours.

Kraft, who said he is a retired firefighter from Groton, was driving =
past when he smelled smoke. He parked his car, and, with the help of a =
nearby construction crew, he ran inside the burning building, alerting =
residents to the dangers they faced.

Kraft said he told some people to call 911 on their cellphones and then =
instructed the construction workers to stand at the doorway, block =
anyone from entering, and guide those he found to safety outside.

"He had no fear whatsoever," said construction worker Kevin Connolly of =
Falmouth. "He went in there on walls and banging on doors trying to get =
people out."

Kraft downplayed his contributions. He said he went into one burning =
building several times and was able to steer at least five people to =
safety.

"I just did what I was trained to do," he said.

"It's just what [firefighters] do every day. If you see something wrong, =
you correct it.

William Charles Tinker, Sr.
New Hampshire Homeless=20
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street=20
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA=20
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.=20
1-603-286-2492=20
http://www.missingkids.com=20
http://www.nationalhomeless.org=20
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org=20
http://www.newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com
------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C85A6E.6FC960B0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H1>Chelsea fire leaves 15 homeless</H1>
<H2>No serious injuries in 3-alarm blaze</H2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/01/19/chelsea_fire=
_leaves_15_homeless/">http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/01/1=
9/chelsea_fire_leaves_15_homeless/</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dutility><SPAN id=3Dbyline>By John R. Ellement </SPAN></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dutility><SPAN></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dcf></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dutility><SPAN id=3Ddateline>Globe Staff <SPAN =
class=3DlistPipe><FONT=20
size=3D1>/</FONT></SPAN> January 19, 2008 </SPAN></DIV>
<DIV id=3DarticleGraphs>
<DIV id=3Dpage1>
<P>CHELSEA - There was no humor in the little laugh Jorge Caraballo let =
out as=20
firefighters smashed axes into the roof of his family's home =
yesterday.</P>
<DIV id=3DarticleEmbed>
<DIV class=3Dembed id=3DrelatedContent>
<DIV class=3DrelatedBox id=3DinformBox>
<H3>&nbsp;</H3>
<UL class=3Dlinklist id=3DinformLinks></UL></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<P>He was among 15 people left homeless as a three-alarm fire destroyed=20
adjoining apartment buildings on Chestnut Street, including one owned by =

Caraballo.</P>
<P>Although driven from their homes by heavy smoke and fire before 10 =
a.m. -=20
some were alerted to the danger by a passerby, Shawn Kraft - no one was =
injured,=20
officials said.</P>
<P>Holding his son and namesake in a parking lot across from his =
still-burning=20
home, Caraballo chuckled sadly when asked by a reporter what he was =
going to do=20
next.</P>
<P>"Be alive, that's the only thing," he said. "I will say, 'Thank you, =
God,'=20
because I've got my family. It's the only way to keep you going."</P>
<P>Caraballo said that he is also undergoing chemotherapy for liver =
cancer and=20
that his extended family lived in two floors of the building. As he =
spoke, his=20
mother, Luz Caraballo, stood next to him holding her parakeet, Cutey =
Boy.</P>
<P>Chelsea Fire Chief Chuck Fothergill said the fire was difficult to =
fight=20
because of the age of the buildings. No fire breaks were installed, and =
the fire=20
spread up the side and into the roof.</P>
<P>He said neither firefighters nor civilians suffered serious injuries. =
He=20
estimated damage at more than $400,000.</P>
<P>The apartment buildings are located at the intersection of Chestnut =
and=20
William streets. The fire sent a pall of smoke pouring over downtown =
Chelsea and=20
led to the closure of the Beacon Street ramp off the Tobin Bridge for =
several=20
hours.</P>
<P>Kraft, who said he is a retired firefighter from Groton, was driving =
past=20
when he smelled smoke. He parked his car, and, with the help of a nearby =

construction crew, he ran inside the burning building, alerting =
residents to the=20
dangers they faced.</P>
<P>Kraft said he told some people to call 911 on their cellphones and =
then=20
instructed the construction workers to stand at the doorway, block =
anyone from=20
entering, and guide those he found to safety outside.</P>
<P>"He had no fear whatsoever," said construction worker Kevin Connolly =
of=20
Falmouth. "He went in there on walls and banging on doors trying to get =
people=20
out."</P>
<P>Kraft downplayed his contributions. He said he went into one burning =
building=20
several times and was able to steer at least five people to safety.</P>
<P>"I just did what I was trained to do," he said.</P>
<P>"It's just what [firefighters] do every day. If you see something =
wrong, you=20
correct it.</P></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR>William Charles Tinker, Sr.<BR>New Hampshire Homeless =
<BR>Founded=20
11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street <BR>Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA=20
<BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights. =
<BR>1-603-286-2492=20
<BR><A =
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A> =
<BR><A=20