[Hpn] Jail me please says desperate, lonely man

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:51:26 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_005E_01C85907.ABD16890

Jail me please says desperate, lonely man
Jan 17 2008 by Claire Rees, Rhymney Valley Express=20

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/rhymney-valley/2008/=
01/17/jail-me-please-says-desperate-lonely-man-91466-20358452/

A HOMELESS man has been sent to prison for breaking a window - after his =
solicitor pleaded for a jail sentence.

The unusual request was made by Llyr Williams at Caerphilly Magistrates' =
Court last week in a last-ditch attempt to get help for Paul Woodsford, =
aged 23, who has a mental age much less than his biological age.

Mr Williams described the "sad" case of his client, who had been let =
down by a system that was supposed to help the most vulnerable people in =
the community.

Woodsford, who previously lived in Cefn Fforest with his mother, became =
homeless after being thrown out of a shelter in Pontypridd, where he'd =
been staying because she had died while he was in prison.

With no family to take him in and no help from the authorities, =
Woodsford found himself on the street with no money, food or shelter =
and, in desperation, threw a brick through the window of a solicitors' =
office in order to get himself arrested.

Mr Williams said: "It's a very, very sad and difficult state of affairs.

"He is in need of support and that support is not there for him.

"This man has committed this offence so that he can have a hot meal and =
somewhere to sleep.

"It's absolutely crazy.

"I don't normally stand up and ask for a client to be sent to prison and =
I feel very uncomfortable about it."

Mr Williams said he intended to take proceedings against the authorities =
with the aim of getting Woodsford somewhere to live on his release, and =
said Woodsford is only one of thousands in the prison system in the same =
situation.

Magistrates chairman Barrie Owen said: "We are not happy about sending =
people to prison.

"It's not a holiday camp but the system is failing here somewhere."

After sentencing Woodsford to four months in jail, Mr Owen added: "You =
are a very sad case and feel that you are being let down by the system.

"We are disappointed with our system, that this gentleman has to go into =
custody because we don't feel there is any other way we can deal with =
him."

William Charles Tinker, Sr.
New Hampshire Homeless=20
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street=20
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA=20
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.=20
1-603-286-2492=20
http://www.missingkids.com=20
http://www.nationalhomeless.org=20
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org=20
http://www.newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com
------=_NextPart_000_005E_01C85907.ABD16890

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV id=3Dthree-col>
<H1>Jail me please says desperate, lonely man</H1>
<P class=3Darticle-date><A=20
title=3D"Find all articles published on Jan 17 2008 to the Rhymney =
Valley section"=20
href=3D"http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/rhymney-vall=
ey/2008/01/17/">Jan=20
17 2008</A> by Claire Rees, Rhymney Valley Express </P>
<P class=3Darticle-date><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/rhymney-vall=
ey/2008/01/17/jail-me-please-says-desperate-lonely-man-91466-20358452/">h=
ttp://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/rhymney-valley/2008/0=
1/17/jail-me-please-says-desperate-lonely-man-91466-20358452/</A></FONT><=
/P>
<P>A HOMELESS man has been sent to prison for breaking a window =96 =
after his=20
solicitor pleaded for a jail sentence.</P>
<P>The unusual request was made by Llyr Williams at Caerphilly =
Magistrates=92=20
Court last week in a last-ditch attempt to get help for Paul Woodsford, =
aged 23,=20
who has a mental age much less than his biological age.</P>
<P>Mr Williams described the =93sad=94 case of his client, who had been =
let down by=20
a system that was supposed to help the most vulnerable people in the=20
community.</P>
<P>Woodsford, who previously lived in Cefn Fforest with his mother, =
became=20
homeless after being thrown out of a shelter in Pontypridd, where he=92d =
been=20
staying because she had died while he was in prison.</P>
<P>With no family to take him in and no help from the authorities, =
Woodsford=20
found himself on the street with no money, food or shelter and, in =
desperation,=20
threw a brick through the window of a solicitors=92 office in order to =
get himself=20
arrested.</P>
<P>Mr Williams said: =93It=92s a very, very sad and difficult state of =
affairs.</P>
<P>=93He is in need of support and that support is not there for =
him.</P>
<P>=93This man has committed this offence so that he can have a hot meal =
and=20
somewhere to sleep.</P>
<P>=93It=92s absolutely crazy.</P>
<P>=93I don=92t normally stand up and ask for a client to be sent to =
prison and I=20
feel very uncomfortable about it.=94</P>
<P>Mr Williams said he intended to take proceedings against the =
authorities with=20
the aim of getting Woodsford somewhere to live on his release, and said=20
Woodsford is only one of thousands in the prison system in the same=20
situation.</P>
<P>Magistrates chairman Barrie Owen said: =93We are not happy about =
sending people=20
to prison.</P>
<P>=93It=92s not a holiday camp but the system is failing here =
somewhere.=94</P>
<P>After sentencing Woodsford to four months in jail, Mr Owen added: =
=93You are a=20
very sad case and feel that you are being let down by the system.</P>
<P>=93We are disappointed with our system, that this gentleman has to go =
into=20
custody because we don=92t feel there is any other way we can deal with=20
him.=94</P></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>William Charles Tinker, Sr.<BR>New =
Hampshire=20
Homeless <BR>Founded 11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street <BR>Northfield,N.H.=20
03276-1640 USA <BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human =
rights.=20
<BR>1-603-286-2492 <BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A> =
<BR><A=20