[Hpn] Homeless man's death brings attention to problem

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:41:06 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_008A_01C858F5.76DD8540

Homeless man's death brings attention to problem=20

http://publicbroadcasting.net/kwmu/news.newsmain?action=3Darticle&ARTICLE=
_ID=3D1212806&sectionID=3D1

Maria Hickey, KWMU=20

ST. LOUIS, MO. (2008-01-16) Homeless advocates placed a wreath under the =
Arsenal Street overpass at=20
I-55 in St. Louis Wednesday morning the place Randy Pullen called home =
and where he died.

Pullen was killed last Friday when he fell from the overpass into =
traffic. A few blankets and gloves remain to mark where he spent his =
nights.

The Reverend Larry Rice, who runs the shelter the New Life Evangelistic =
Center, says Pullen was one of four homeless people who've died in St. =
Louis over the past month.

Rice says the city should set aside space for the homeless.

"Randy represents hundreds of people that we meet out on the streets and =
many of these people come into shelter, then go out of shelter," Rice =
said. "We need the city of St. Louis to set up one acre ground that they =
can have a place that's safe. This is working at Dignity Village in =
Portland, Oregon. It will work here in St. Louis."

The city's human services director, Bill Siedhoff, says he does not see =
how a vacant lot will help.

He says the city provides more than 1,900 transitional beds and that =
there are some vacancies.

------=_NextPart_000_008A_01C858F5.76DD8540

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<P><SPAN class=3Dheadline-large>Homeless man's death brings attention to =

problem</SPAN> </P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://publicbroadcasting.net/kwmu/news.newsmain?action=3Darticle=
&amp;ARTICLE_ID=3D1212806&amp;sectionID=3D1">http://publicbroadcasting.ne=
t/kwmu/news.newsmain?action=3Darticle&amp;ARTICLE_ID=3D1212806&amp;sectio=
nID=3D1</A></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><BR><SPAN class=3Dbyline>Maria =
Hickey,=20
KWMU</SPAN> </P>
<P><!--table for audio buttons--><!--end table for audio buttons-->ST. =
LOUIS,=20
MO. (2008-01-16) Homeless advocates placed a wreath under the Arsenal =
Street=20
overpass at <BR>I-55 in St. Louis Wednesday morning the place Randy =
Pullen=20
called home and where he died.<BR><BR>Pullen was killed last Friday when =
he fell=20
from the overpass into traffic. A few blankets and gloves remain to mark =
where=20
he spent his nights.<BR><BR>The Reverend Larry Rice, who runs the =
shelter the=20
New Life Evangelistic Center, says Pullen was one of four homeless =
people who've=20
died in St. Louis over the past month.<BR><BR>Rice says the city should =
set=20
aside space for the homeless.<BR><BR>"Randy represents hundreds of =
people that=20
we meet out on the streets and many of these people come into shelter, =
then go=20
out of shelter," Rice said. "We need the city of St. Louis to set up one =
acre=20
ground that they can have a place that's safe. This is working at =
Dignity=20
Village in Portland, Oregon. It will work here in St. Louis."<BR><BR>The =
city's=20
human services director, Bill Siedhoff, says he does not see how a =
vacant lot=20
will help.<BR><BR>He says the city provides more than 1,900 transitional =
beds=20
and that there are some vacancies.<BR></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_008A_01C858F5.76DD8540--