[Hpn] 2 Cops Killed in 'Ambush' in Georgia

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:27:06 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C8583B.1B9407A0

2 Cops Killed in 'Ambush' in Georgia
By DANIEL YEE - 1 hour ago=20

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hWMtjjhuDdVOyBqk4xLf2x1N77yQD8U72KTO0

DECATUR, Ga. (AP) - Two off-duty DeKalb County police officers were =
killed early Wednesday in what appeared to be an ambush at an apartment =
complex in what residents described as a high-crime neighborhood, police =
said.

The two officers, working as security guards at the complex, were =
investigating a suspicious person at the complex when shots rang out, =
DeKalb County Police Chief Terrell Bolton told The Associated Press.

Authorities were searching for two males seen running from the scene. =
Police were using dogs and a helicopter to search for the suspects.

"We've got every able body looking for them," Bolton said.

Later, at a news conference, Bolton addressed the gunmen: "If I were =
you, I'd turn myself in. The sun's coming up. Before sundown, we're =
gonna find you."

He told reporters the dead officers were wearing their police uniforms.

Police were called to the scene around 12:40 a.m., Bolton said. One =
officer was dead at the scene. The other was pronounced dead at Grady =
Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, he said.

Bolton said the shooting looked like an ambush.

"It just appeared that they were gunned down without a chance," he said.

Schools were locked down during the investigation in the area about 6 =
miles east of downtown Atlanta.

Patreka Anderson, a resident of the complex, said she was awakened by =
the gunshots but did not think anything of it because the neighborhood =
around the Glenwood Gardens apartment complex is a high-crime area with =
a lot of drug activity and prostitution.

"We always hear shooting," she said. "I didn't think that was any big =
deal."

Teofil Taut, who said he has owned the 176-unit complex for about two =
years and lives in one of the buildings, said he hired police as =
part-time security officers in December to keep homeless people from =
breaking into the apartments.

Another resident, nurse's assistant LaShawn Corbin, said she is =
considering moving, even if it means paying more for an apartment.

"We don't expect the people who try to protect us to be hurt so =
seriously," she said. Corbin said she would fear leaving her children =
there "because the person who did it has no conscience for human life."

The slain officers' names were not immediately released. Bolton said one =
was a two-year veteran and the other had been on the force for four =
years.

"It's a challenging day for us," Bolton said. "However, today's act of =
senseless violence is a display of what we're seeing around the country =
where people will shoot down a police officer without regard to any =
repercussions."

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C8583B.1B9407A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H1>2 Cops Killed in 'Ambush' in Georgia</H1>
<P class=3Dhn-byline>By DANIEL YEE =96 <SPAN class=3Dhn-date>1 hour =
ago</SPAN> </P>
<P class=3Dhn-byline><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hWMtjjhuDdVOyBqk4xLf2x1N77yQD8=
U72KTO0">http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hWMtjjhuDdVOyBqk4xLf2x1N77yQD=
8U72KTO0</A></FONT></P>
<P>DECATUR, Ga. (AP) =97 Two off-duty DeKalb County police officers were =
killed=20
early Wednesday in what appeared to be an ambush at an apartment complex =
in what=20
residents described as a high-crime neighborhood, police said.</P>
<P>The two officers, working as security guards at the complex, were=20
investigating a suspicious person at the complex when shots rang out, =
DeKalb=20
County Police Chief Terrell Bolton told The Associated Press.</P>
<P>Authorities were searching for two males seen running from the scene. =
Police=20
were using dogs and a helicopter to search for the suspects.</P>
<P>"We've got every able body looking for them," Bolton said.</P>
<P>Later, at a news conference, Bolton addressed the gunmen: "If I were =
you, I'd=20
turn myself in. The sun's coming up. Before sundown, we're gonna find =
you."</P>
<P>He told reporters the dead officers were wearing their police =
uniforms.</P>
<P>Police were called to the scene around 12:40 a.m., Bolton said. One =
officer=20
was dead at the scene. The other was pronounced dead at Grady Memorial =
Hospital=20
in Atlanta, he said.</P>
<P>Bolton said the shooting looked like an ambush.</P>
<P>"It just appeared that they were gunned down without a chance," he =
said.</P>
<P>Schools were locked down during the investigation in the area about 6 =
miles=20
east of downtown Atlanta.</P>
<P>Patreka Anderson, a resident of the complex, said she was awakened by =
the=20
gunshots but did not think anything of it because the neighborhood =
around the=20
Glenwood Gardens apartment complex is a high-crime area with a lot of =
drug=20
activity and prostitution.</P>
<P>"We always hear shooting," she said. "I didn't think that was any big =

deal."</P>
<P>Teofil Taut, who said he has owned the 176-unit complex for about two =
years=20
and lives in one of the buildings, said he hired police as part-time =
security=20
officers in December to keep homeless people from breaking into the=20
apartments.</P>
<P>Another resident, nurse's assistant LaShawn Corbin, said she is =
considering=20
moving, even if it means paying more for an apartment.</P>
<P>"We don't expect the people who try to protect us to be hurt so =
seriously,"=20
she said. Corbin said she would fear leaving her children there "because =
the=20
person who did it has no conscience for human life."</P>
<P>The slain officers' names were not immediately released. Bolton said =
one was=20
a two-year veteran and the other had been on the force for four =
years.</P>
<P>"It's a challenging day for us," Bolton said. "However, today's act =
of=20
senseless violence is a display of what we're seeing around the country =
where=20
people will shoot down a police officer without regard to any=20
repercussions."</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C8583B.1B9407A0--