[Hpn] Man's body found in front of Fargo bishop's home

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:40:00 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C856D4.7C7D6FB0

Man's body found in front of Fargo bishop's home=20

The Associated Press -=20
http://www.thedickinsonpress.com:80/ap/index.cfm?page=3Dview&id=3DD8U5R0F=
G0
Monday, January 14, 2008
    =20
FARGO, N.D.

The body of a homeless man was found on the sidewalk in front of the =
home of the bishop of the Fargo Roman Catholic Diocese early Monday, =
police said.

A newspaper carrier found the body of Vernon Weigand, 43, about 7 a.m., =
and flagged down a police officer.

Police said Weigand's address was a Fargo homeless shelter and he had =
sometimes come to the church for food.

He appeared to have been dead for several hours, wearing a jacket and a =
hooded undershirt, but no hat or gloves, Police Sgt. Jeff Skuza said. =
The temperature in the Fargo area overnight ranged from 10 degrees below =
zero to 15 below. It was 14 below zero shortly before 7 a.m., Skuza =
said.

The body showed some signs of trauma, which may have been the result of =
a fall, Skuza said. An autopsy was planned.

"It's not unusual with exposure deaths to have some hemorrhage, and so =
there is some sign of trauma in the face," Skuza said. "But it also =
appears he may have taken a tumble down the stairs from the prints in =
the snow and everything else. So, it's really hard to speculate right =
now whether or not he passed away on his own, or if someone assaulted =
him, and that's something we're going to have to investigate and =
determine."

Bishop Samuel Aquila was in Grand Forks for meetings and no one was =
staying at his home Sunday night, diocese spokeswoman Tanya Watterud =
said. Nearby, St. Mary's church was locked from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., she =
said.

In an interview on Catholic radio station KWTL in Grand Forks, the =
bishop issued a statement saying he received word of Weigand's death =
"with great sadness" and asked for prayers for Weigand and his family.

"The details of his death have not been fully communicated to me yet," =
the bishop's statement said. "I know that he was a homeless man with =
family in the area and that he was known to authorities. I ask all of =
the faithful of the diocese to pray for the repose of his soul and also =
for his family and those who were near to him."

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C856D4.7C7D6FB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H1>Man's body found in front of Fargo bishop's home </H1>
<H2><BR><SPAN class=3Dten><FONT size=3D1>The Associated Press - =
</FONT></SPAN></H2>
<H2><SPAN class=3Dten><FONT size=3D1><A=20
href=3D"http://www.thedickinsonpress.com:80/ap/index.cfm?page=3Dview&amp;=
id=3DD8U5R0FG0">http://www.thedickinsonpress.com:80/ap/index.cfm?page=3Dv=
iew&amp;id=3DD8U5R0FG0</A></FONT></SPAN></H2>
<H2><SPAN class=3Dten><FONT size=3D1>Monday, January 14, =
2008</FONT></SPAN></H2>
<DIV style=3D"FLOAT: right; WIDTH: 310px">
<TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 align=3Dright>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-BOTTOM: =
10px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><FONT=20
      size=3D1></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>FARGO, N.D.<BR>
<P>The body of a homeless man was found on the sidewalk in front of the =
home of=20
the bishop of the Fargo Roman Catholic Diocese early Monday, police =
said.</P>
<P>A newspaper carrier found the body of Vernon Weigand, 43, about 7 =
a.m., and=20
flagged down a police officer.</P>
<P>Police said Weigand's address was a Fargo homeless shelter and he had =

sometimes come to the church for food.</P>
<P>He appeared to have been dead for several hours, wearing a jacket and =
a=20
hooded undershirt, but no hat or gloves, Police Sgt. Jeff Skuza said. =
The=20
temperature in the Fargo area overnight ranged from 10 degrees below =
zero to 15=20
below. It was 14 below zero shortly before 7 a.m., Skuza said.</P>
<P>The body showed some signs of trauma, which may have been the result =
of a=20
fall, Skuza said. An autopsy was planned.</P>
<P>"It's not unusual with exposure deaths to have some hemorrhage, and =
so there=20
is some sign of trauma in the face," Skuza said. "But it also appears he =
may=20
have taken a tumble down the stairs from the prints in the snow and =
everything=20
else. So, it's really hard to speculate right now whether or not he =
passed away=20
on his own, or if someone assaulted him, and that's something we're =
going to=20
have to investigate and determine."</P>
<P>Bishop Samuel Aquila was in Grand Forks for meetings and no one was =
staying=20
at his home Sunday night, diocese spokeswoman Tanya Watterud said. =
Nearby, St.=20
Mary's church was locked from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., she said.</P>
<P>In an interview on Catholic radio station KWTL in Grand Forks, the =
bishop=20
issued a statement saying he received word of Weigand's death "with =
great=20
sadness" and asked for prayers for Weigand and his family.</P>
<P>"The details of his death have not been fully communicated to me =
yet," the=20
bishop's statement said. "I know that he was a homeless man with family =
in the=20
area and that he was known to authorities. I ask all of the faithful of =
the=20
diocese to pray for the repose of his soul and also for his family and =
those who=20
were near to him."</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C856D4.7C7D6FB0--