[Hpn] Salvation Army staff abusive, accusers say

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:42:53 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0080_01C854DD.F9B8E9D0

Salvation Army staff abusive, accusers say
By DONNA WRIGHT
dwright@bradenton.com=20
http://www.bradenton.com:80/local/story/323393.html

BRADENTON --
Sixty-six people who claim they recently stayed at the Salvation Army =
shelters in Bradenton have signed a petition charging staff with =
drunkeness and abuse.=20

"These charges of abuse and alcohol use are not true," said Maj. Tony =
Barrington, commander of the Bradenton Salvation Army. "Our =
investigation showed that none of this is true, but we are checking into =
any possibility that any of our employees were drunk. If that is the =
case, they will be immediately fired."

The petition drive is led by Joe Lima, who says a staff member was =
abusive and kicked him out of the men's shelter early last Saturday =
morning.

Lima is asking that Salvation Army staff undergo an alcohol test, just =
as the homeless are required to do before they are allowed to step into =
the men's shelter.

Barrington confirmed Lima was asked to leave the shelter because of =
behavior problems.

Lima, who said he was a paid bell ringer during the holidays, claims the =
problems began when he was late paying for his stays at the shelter.

"That's not true," said Barrington. "There were other issues. No one has =
ever been kicked out because they were unable to pay."

Current shelter policy states that if a man has a job, he can eat meals =
and stay at the shelter for $8 a night. There is no charge at the family =
lodge, which houses women and children.

Lima and eight other regulars at the shelter were hired to be bell =
ringers during the holiday. They were paid the minimum wage.

"You get paid every two weeks, I was behind," Lima said. "A lot of =
people who were working as bell ringers up and left and didn't pay," to =
stay in the shelter.

Lima claims a staff member took his anger out on him.

"He called me in the office and he was drunk. He was going off on me and =
kicked me out."

"We do hire some people as bell ringers so we can cover all of the =
locations," said Barrington. "We try to give these guys a job to give =
them a break. They help us raise money and it also gives them money for =
the Christmas season. We see that as a service. To my knowledge, eight =
of the nine bell ringers we hired worked out fine."

Complaints from shelter residents are not unusual, said Barrington.

"From time to time a man who breaks our rules and mistreats staff will =
try to turn the tables. Most of the time it is unfounded."

William Charles Tinker=20
New Hampshire Homeless=20
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street=20
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA=20
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.=20
1-603-286-2492=20
http://www.missingkids.com=20
http://www.nationalhomeless.org=20
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org=20
http://www.newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com
------=_NextPart_000_0080_01C854DD.F9B8E9D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H1>Salvation Army staff abusive, accusers say</H1>
<H4 class=3Dbyline>By DONNA WRIGHT</H4>
<H5 class=3Dstory_credit><A href=3D"mailto:dwright@bradenton.com"><FONT=20
color=3D#003399>dwright@bradenton.com</FONT></A> </H5>
<DIV class=3Dstory_credit><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.bradenton.com:80/local/story/323393.html">http://www.b=
radenton.com:80/local/story/323393.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dstory_credit>&nbsp;</DIV><BR>
<P>
<H3 class=3Ddateline>BRADENTON --</H3>Sixty-six people who claim they =
recently=20
stayed at the Salvation Army shelters in Bradenton have signed a =
petition=20
charging staff with drunkeness and abuse.=20
<P></P>
<P>"These charges of abuse and alcohol use are not true," said Maj. Tony =

Barrington, commander of the Bradenton Salvation Army. "Our =
investigation showed=20
that none of this is true, but we are checking into any possibility that =
any of=20
our employees were drunk. If that is the case, they will be immediately=20
fired."</P>
<P>The petition drive is led by Joe Lima, who says a staff member was =
abusive=20
and kicked him out of the men's shelter early last Saturday morning.</P>
<P>Lima is asking that Salvation Army staff undergo an alcohol test, =
just as the=20
homeless are required to do before they are allowed to step into the =
men's=20
shelter.</P>
<P>Barrington confirmed Lima was asked to leave the shelter because of =
behavior=20
problems.</P>
<P>Lima, who said he was a paid bell ringer during the holidays, claims =
the=20
problems began when he was late paying for his stays at the shelter.</P>
<P>"That's not true," said Barrington. "There were other issues. No one =
has ever=20
been kicked out because they were unable to pay."</P>
<P>Current shelter policy states that if a man has a job, he can eat =
meals and=20
stay at the shelter for $8 a night. There is no charge at the family =
lodge,=20
which houses women and children.</P>
<P>Lima and eight other regulars at the shelter were hired to be bell =
ringers=20
during the holiday. They were paid the minimum wage.</P>
<P>"You get paid every two weeks, I was behind," Lima said. "A lot of =
people who=20
were working as bell ringers up and left and didn't pay," to stay in the =

shelter.</P>
<P>Lima claims a staff member took his anger out on him.</P>
<P>"He called me in the office and he was drunk. He was going off on me =
and=20
kicked me out."</P>
<P>"We do hire some people as bell ringers so we can cover all of the=20
locations," said Barrington. "We try to give these guys a job to give =
them a=20
break. They help us raise money and it also gives them money for the =
Christmas=20
season. We see that as a service. To my knowledge, eight of the nine =
bell=20
ringers we hired worked out fine."</P>
<P>Complaints from shelter residents are not unusual, said =
Barrington.</P>
<P>"From time to time a man who breaks our rules and mistreats staff =
will try to=20
turn the tables. Most of the time it is unfounded."</P><!-- Begin This =
might need formating --></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR>William Charles Tinker <BR>New Hampshire Homeless <BR>Founded=20
11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street <BR>Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA=20
<BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights. =
<BR>1-603-286-2492=20
<BR><A =
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A> =
<BR><A=20