[Hpn] This man died because he was homeless

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:56:03 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_014D_01C8555D.8B6A2D10

Saturday, January 12, 2008
This man died because he was homeless
On the front lines, an emergency room doctor sees people who would live =
instead of die -- if they had a place to live

http://www.streamsofjustice.org:80/2008/01/must-read-this-man-died-becaus=
e-he-was.html

Michael Goodwin, Special to the Sun

Published: Wednesday, January 09, 2008

It was 3 a.m on a winter Saturday night and the emergency department was =
bustling at Vancouver's downtown hospital.

As a resident on call I was attending to a stabbing victim in the trauma =
bay, someone in the Downtown Eastside who had been stabbed in the back =
near a pub after closing time. His was not an uncommon story.

Suddenly shouts emanated from the nursing station: "Clear out! Clear the =
trauma bay! We've got another stabbing! They lost his pulse. ETA five =
minutes!"

Our first stabbed patient was whisked out of the trauma bay to the only =
place available for him -- the hallway. We then busied ourselves =
preparing for the new arrival.

Intravenous bags and lines were opened and primed. Resuscitation =
equipment was connected and readied. We started to don gowns, gloves and =
masks in preparation for what would likely be a bloody encounter.

Usually in these situations there is a lull before the patient arrives. =
Everyone gets ready, and then waits silently for the emergency bay doors =
to open. Sometimes that waiting seems like forever. This time things =
happened quickly.

Before we could organize ourselves, the bay doors were suddenly bursting =
open and the paramedics were wheeling our victim towards us on a =
stretcher.

One paramedic was "bagging" the patient -- providing breaths via a bag =
and mask attached to an oxygen canister. A second paramedic was steadily =
compressing the victim's chest to try to maintain circulation of blood. =
A third was pushing and steering the stretcher while simultaneously =
barking out a summary of the story.

Like one of the street performers at Granville Island, he shouted his =
oration to all of us: "Homeless man stabbed in the anterior mid-chest. =
Vital signs were lost at the scene. CPR was begun immediately." In other =
words, this man had died out on the street right in front of them only =
moments ago and now we were all fighting to get him back.

I couldn't help but look down at the man and his unsightly appearance =
with pity. His ragged plaid shirts, worn in layers to keep out the =
winter cold, were now completely soaked in blood. His long unkempt hair, =
his tattered pants, worn-out shoes and his calloused, dirt-filled hands =
all confirmed the orator's broadcast that he was homeless.

------=_NextPart_000_014D_01C8555D.8B6A2D10

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H2 class=3Ddate-header>Saturday, January 12, 2008</H2>
<DIV class=3Dpost><A name=3D848048285890518311></A>
<H3 class=3Dpost-title>This man died because he was homeless<A=20
href=3D"http://www.streamsofjustice.org/2008/01/must-read-this-man-died-b=
ecause-he-was.html"></A></H3>
<DIV class=3Dpost-header-line-1></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dpost-body>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-STYLE: italic">On the front lines, an emergency =
room doctor=20
sees people who would live instead of die -- if they had a place to=20
live</SPAN></P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-STYLE: italic"></SPAN>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.streamsofjustice.org:80/2008/01/must-read-this-man-die=
d-because-he-was.html">http://www.streamsofjustice.org:80/2008/01/must-re=
ad-this-man-died-because-he-was.html</A></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><BR><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 85%">Michael Goodwin, Special to the =
Sun</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 85%">Published: Wednesday, =
January 09,=20
2008</SPAN><BR><BR></FONT>It was 3 a.m on a winter Saturday night and =
the=20
emergency department was bustling at Vancouver's downtown =
hospital.<BR><BR>As a=20
resident on call I was attending to a stabbing victim in the trauma bay, =
someone=20
in the Downtown Eastside who had been stabbed in the back near a pub =
after=20
closing time. His was not an uncommon story.<BR><BR>Suddenly shouts =
emanated=20
from the nursing station: "Clear out! Clear the trauma bay! We've got =
another=20
stabbing! They lost his pulse. ETA five minutes!"<BR><BR>Our first =
stabbed=20
patient was whisked out of the trauma bay to the only place available =
for him --=20
the hallway. We then busied ourselves preparing for the new=20
arrival.<BR><BR>Intravenous bags and lines were opened and primed. =
Resuscitation=20
equipment was connected and readied. We started to don gowns, gloves and =
masks=20
in preparation for what would likely be a bloody =
encounter.<BR><BR>Usually in=20
these situations there is a lull before the patient arrives. Everyone =
gets=20
ready, and then waits silently for the emergency bay doors to open. =
Sometimes=20
that waiting seems like forever. This time things happened=20
quickly.<BR><BR>Before we could organize ourselves, the bay doors were =
suddenly=20
bursting open and the paramedics were wheeling our victim towards us on =
a=20
stretcher.<BR><BR>One paramedic was "bagging" the patient -- providing =
breaths=20
via a bag and mask attached to an oxygen canister. A second paramedic =
was=20
steadily compressing the victim's chest to try to maintain circulation =
of blood.=20
A third was pushing and steering the stretcher while simultaneously =
barking out=20
a summary of the story.<BR><BR>Like one of the street performers at =
Granville=20
Island, he shouted his oration to all of us: "Homeless man stabbed in =
the=20
anterior mid-chest. Vital signs were lost at the scene. CPR was begun=20
immediately." In other words, this man had died out on the street right =
in front=20
of them only moments ago and now we were all fighting to get him =
back.<BR><BR>I=20
couldn't help but look down at the man and his unsightly appearance with =
pity.=20
His ragged plaid shirts, worn in layers to keep out the winter cold, =
were now=20
completely soaked in blood. His long unkempt hair, his tattered pants, =
worn-out=20
shoes and his calloused, dirt-filled hands all confirmed the orator's =
broadcast=20
that he was homeless.<BR></P></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_014D_01C8555D.8B6A2D10--