[Hpn] Cathy Crowe's January 2008 Newsletter

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 03:00:10 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C85334.E992DCA0

=20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Crowe News=20
Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:25 AM

      Newsletter # 41 ~ January 2008

      Below is the forty-first edition of Cathy Crowe's monthly =
newsletter. This is a great resource for individuals who care about =
homelessness and housing, health and other social issues.=20

      You can also view Cathy's newsletters at her website at: =
http://tdrc.net/index.php?page=3Dnewsletter.=20

      =20
    =20
    =20

      Further information about subscribing to the newsletter is found =
below. I want to hear from you - about the newsletter, about things that =
are happening in the homelessness sector (what a sad term!), and about =
good things which will provide inspiration for all of us.=20

    =20
      1. Shock Doctrine - Book Review

      2. Peace on earth?

      I'm sure that many of you use the holiday season and the New Year =
as an opportunity to contemplate life, relationships, the past and the =
future.  For me, this particular New Year marks just another year in a =
worsening homeless crisis here in Canada.=20

      Ten years ago, with close and trusting colleagues, I helped found =
the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee.  We wrote the State of Emergency =
Declaration calling homelessness a national disaster.

      Ten years later, it is astonishing to me that these words from our =
disaster declaration remain truer than ever:

        The homeless situation is worsening daily at an alarming rate, =
as the factors creating it remain unchecked.  Any delay in firmly and =
massively responding will only contribute to compounding the present =
crisis of suffering and death which is already an epidemic which no =
civilized society can tolerate.=20

      I have had a difficult time understanding why Ottawa hasn't done =
something. With homeless numbers growing in every community across the =
country and refugee camp conditions (think illness, disease and death), =
with repeated condemnations from the United Nations and hard evidence =
that the single most important solution is a national housing program, =
why has Ottawa only responded with band aids?

      Then a book came along that was like a final piece to the puzzle.  =
I think it's the most important book to read - period.  That book is The =
Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism, written by Naomi Klein. =
 I asked my good friend and mentor Beric German to write a review of the =
book for this newsletter.

      1. Shock Doctrine - the new world order undressed - by Beric =
German

      A book review - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster =
Capitalism by Naomi Klein (Alfred A. Knopf Canada, 2007).

      Cathy Crowe gave me The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein just prior =
to the holiday season.  It has been instructive to me.  Klein takes the =
reader on a journey with the handmaidens of modern capitalism and shows =
how 'shock therapies' are being unraveled throughout Canada and the =
world.

      Ms. Klein outlines how the CIA shock therapies share the same =
ideological foundations as the modern maps for success of right wing =
economic policies.  The shock therapies are meant to erase any =
recollection of the past and leave a clean slate, or a brain without =
memory, with which to create a new blueprint.  In the case of shock =
therapies in use by the CIA and psychiatrists, the more often outcome =
was severe damage to the brain.  Similarly, shock therapy to economies =
have lead to not only the loss of social safety nets but wide spread =
deprivation and death.  The book is an examination of oft forgotten or =
the deliberately hidden ravages of the new global order.

      We are introduced to Milton Friedman, the University of Chicago's =
economics department in the 1950's, and the whole school of thought for =
those referred to as 'the Chicago boys'.  We are shown how the =
indoctrination from this origin is now spreading throughout the world.  =
This approach was behind the scenes that transformed Chile from the =
policies of Allende to those of Pinochet.  The apologists and the =
Chicago boys believed that all the torture and death lead to a great new =
Chile and they are proud of their creation. Chile is now one of their =
main banners.  The philosophy of the idea of a pure capitalism, devoid =
of the hindrances of social services and restrictions on the movement of =
capital, is not only poised to but is taking over the world, many =
countries at a time.

      While reading Klein's expos=E9 people will learn of major =
historical and political events and their outcomes, such as what =
happened in the nations that were formerly part of the Soviet Union and =
the country of South Africa.  You may be 'shocked' by what the =
mainstream media didn't and doesn't tell us.

      At home, Cathy Crowe and the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee had =
homelessness declared a national disaster in 1998.  The homeless =
disaster was a direct outcome of the shock doctrine working in Canada.  =
The demise of a national housing program being the primary policy =
'reconstruction' that lead to this man made disaster.  The Shock =
Doctrine helps us to understand how national housing programs, state =
medical care, employment insurance and all social assistance are enigmas =
in the new world order - programs that should be privatized if they =
should exist at all.  At best some should be dealt with by private =
charity - some more soup cans in the food bank.

      Is this the way the world has to run?  One of the new order's ways =
of survival is to employ open violence, and while there is little for =
the poor, military budgets expand.  In Canada, the Harper government =
will spend $18.2 billion in 2007-2008 on the military and only $2 =
billion on existing, not new social housing. The Toronto Disaster Relief =
Committee is responding with a Housing Not War campaign.

      Klein's refreshing book may be able to help others construct a =
humane response to the Chicago boys' painful shock therapy.=20

      Beric German is co-founder of TDRC and a long-time front line =
worker and advocate on homeless issues.

      To view a short film by Alfonso Cuar=F3n and Naomi Klein, directed =
by Jon=E1s Cuar=F3n click here.

      2. Peace on earth?

      On New Year's Eve, my friend Rick Archbold and I were planning to =
go to a movie the next day - as long as he made his writing deadline.  =
When I asked him what he was working on he said he was writing a new =
final chapter to 'the flag book'.  I Stand for Canada: The Story of The =
Maple Leaf Flag was published in 2002 and it is both an outstanding =
historical record and a pictorial overview of the history of how Canada =
got its maple leaf flag.
      =20
      Another friend asked him: "What kind of new material are you =
adding?"  I blurted out - Afghanistan!  "Well yes," Rick replied, "As a =
matter of fact, think of it, this is the first war Canada has fought =
since the Maple Leaf became our flag."

      Yes, Canada is at war in Afghanistan.  Since 2001, Canadian Forces =
have been fighting a war that has now lasted longer than World War II.  =
Not since the Korean War have so many Canadian soldiers been deployed to =
combat.  76 Canadian soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan (at the =
time of this writing).  75 young men and one woman have died violent =
deaths ranging from suicide bombings, roadside bombs, landmine =
explosions and death by suicide and friendly fire - all returning home =
in a maple leaf flag-draped coffin.=20

      Six years after the invasion began, the Afghanistan situation is =
no better than before the war.  Few Afghanis have access to clean water =
and electricity; poverty and unemployment are severe; hundreds of =
millions of aid dollars have gone missing; reconstruction projects have =
been abandoned; opium production is at record levels; women have little =
safety.  Thousands of Afghanis have died.

      Yet on New Year's Day Governor General Micha=EBlle Jean referred =
to our "multinational reconstruction efforts in Afghanistan" as part of =
our solidarity efforts in the world.  Reconstruction?  Reconstruction is =
not happening abroad in Afghanistan or at home, but a lot of money is =
being spent pretending.

      Our military spending will reach $18.2 billion in 2007-08, the =
highest annual amount since World War II.  Much of this is being spent =
on military equipment intended for the war in Afghanistan, like the $3.4 =
billion for four military transport planes and $1.3 billion for 100 =
battle tanks.  That $4.7 billion for arms could have provided at least =
30,000 affordable homes for homeless families.  The military budget now =
represents 8.5% of all Federal spending.  The Toronto Star reports that =
Prime Minister Harper intends to boost the Canadian Forces' budget to =
$20 billion by 2010.  This flies in the face of housing activists' =
long-time demand that an additional 1% of the Federal budget, =
approximately $2 billion, be put towards a new national affordable =
housing program.  Homelessness and hunger are well documented and the =
most painful expressions of the poverty here in Canada.  Surely, we =
should be demanding that our federal government put an end to it.  After =
all, as Gandhi stated "Poverty is the worst form of violence."

      If there is such a thing as a moral war, I don't think this is it.

      To sign the Housing Not War declaration or to learn more - go to =
www.housingnotwar.ca

      Cathy

      Thanks to Bob Crocker for editing and Dave Meslin for design.

       =20

      *****

      You have been subscribed to this list that is specifically for =
this monthly newsletter. We will not share this list with any other =
party. If you do not wish to receive any future editions, simply Reply =
to this email with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line and you =
will be removed from the list. Also, if you have any questions about the =
list or any feedback for the newsletter send an email to: =
crowenews@sherbourne.on.ca .

      Subscribe to this newsletter

      I plan to publish this newsletter regularly. If you receive this =
newsletter directly, then your address is already on our mailing list; =
otherwise, to subscribe or unsubscribe, send a note to =
crowenews@sherbourne.on.ca . For more information on my work including =
this and other editions of my newsletter please visit my web page at =
www.tdrc.net/cathycrowe.htm.=20

      There is no charge for this newsletter. Please forward it to your =
friends and others who you think may be interested in it. I value your =
feedback and ideas. Please share them with me at ccrowe@sherbourne.on.ca =
or c/o the Sherbourne Health Centre, 333 Sherbourne Street, Toronto, ON, =
M5A 2S5.
      =20
    =20
       =20

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C85334.E992DCA0

<HTML xmlns:o =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE>P.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; =
mso-style-parent: ""
}
TABLE.MsoNormalTable {
	FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-style-parent: ""
}
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#fff0e1 background=3D"">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dcrowenews@tdrc.net href=3D"mailto:crowenews@tdrc.net">Crowe =
News</A> </DIV>
<DIV>Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:25 AM</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<TABLE class=3DMsoNormalTable style=3D"BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" =
height=3D1362=20
cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 width=3D675 border=3D0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 5.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 5.75pt; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; PADDING-TOP: 0cm"=20
    vAlign=3Dtop width=3D340 height=3D290>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" =
align=3Dcenter><B><SPAN=20
      style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Book Antiqua"><BR></SPAN><FONT =
face=3DArial>Newsletter=20
      #<SPAN lang=3Den-us> </SPAN>41&nbsp;<SPAN lang=3Den-us>~ January=20
      2008</SPAN></FONT></B></P>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
      style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Book Antiqua"></SPAN>&nbsp;</P>
      <P class=3Dlisttx style4><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</P><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
      size=3D3>Below is the forty-first edition of Cathy Crowe's monthly =

      newsletter. This is a great resource for individuals who care =
about=20
      homelessness and housing, health and other social =
issues.&nbsp;<BR><BR>You=20
      can also view Cathy's newsletters at her website at: <A=20
      href=3D"http://tdrc.net/index.php?page=3Dnewsletter."=20
      =
target=3D_blank>http://tdrc.net/index.php?page=3Dnewsletter.</A></FONT>=20
      <P class=3DMsoNormal align=3Djustify><SPAN=20
      style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Book Antiqua"><BR>&nbsp;</SPAN></P></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 5.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 5.75pt; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; PADDING-TOP: 0cm"=20
    align=3Dmiddle width=3D310 height=3D290>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT></P></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 5.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 5.75pt; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; PADDING-TOP: 0cm"=20
    vAlign=3Dtop width=3D668 colSpan=3D2 height=3D98>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal align=3Djustify><SPAN=20
      style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Book Antiqua"><FONT color=3D#333333 =
size=3D2><BR>Further=20
      information about subscribing to the newsletter is found below. I =
want to=20
      hear from you - about the newsletter, about things that are =
happening in=20
      the homelessness sector (what a sad term!), and about good<SPAN=20
      lang=3Den-us> </SPAN>things which will provide inspiration for all =
of=20
      us.</FONT></SPAN>=20
      <P class=3DMsoNormal align=3Djustify><SPAN lang=3Den-us=20
      style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Book =
Antiqua">*************************************************************</S=
PAN></P></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 5.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 5.75pt; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; PADDING-TOP: 0cm"=20
    width=3D668 colSpan=3D2 height=3D974>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT =
color=3D#000000><SPAN=20
      style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><FONT size=3D4><STRONG>1. Shock =
Doctrine =96 Book=20
      Review<BR><BR>2. Peace on =
earth?<BR></STRONG></FONT></SPAN></FONT></P>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN=20
      style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><O:P><FONT size=3D3><BR>I=92m sure =
that many of you=20
      use the holiday season and the New Year as an opportunity to =
contemplate=20
      life, relationships, the past and the future.&nbsp; For me, this=20
      particular New Year marks just another year in a worsening =
homeless crisis=20
      here in Canada.&nbsp;<BR><BR>Ten years ago, with close and =
trusting=20
      colleagues, I helped found the Toronto Disaster Relief =
Committee.&nbsp; We=20
      wrote the <A =
href=3D"http://tdrc.net/resources/public/Report-98-TDRC.htm"=20
      target=3D_blank>State of Emergency Declaration</A> calling =
homelessness a=20
      <STRONG>national disaster</STRONG>.<BR><BR>Ten years later, it is=20
      astonishing to me that these words from our disaster declaration =
remain=20
      truer than ever:<BR><BR></FONT></O:P></SPAN></P>
      <BLOCKQUOTE>
        <P><STRONG><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><O:P><FONT =
size=3D3>The=20
        homeless situation is worsening daily at an alarming rate, as =
the=20
        factors creating it remain unchecked.&nbsp; Any delay in firmly =
and=20
        massively responding will only contribute to compounding the =
present=20
        crisis of suffering and death which is already an epidemic which =
no=20
        civilized society can tolerate.</FONT></O:P> =
</SPAN></STRONG></P><SPAN=20
        style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><O:P></O:P></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN=20
      style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><O:P><FONT size=3D3><BR>I have had a =
difficult=20
      time understanding why Ottawa hasn=92t done something. With =
homeless numbers=20
      growing in every community across the country and refugee camp =
conditions=20
      (think illness, disease and death), with repeated condemnations =
from the=20
      United Nations and hard evidence that the single most important =
solution=20
      is a national housing program, why has Ottawa only responded with =
band=20
      aids?<BR><BR>Then a book came along that was like a final piece to =
the=20
      puzzle.&nbsp; I think it=92s the most important book to read =96 =
period.&nbsp;=20
      That book is <STRONG>The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster=20
      Capitalism</STRONG>, written by Naomi Klein.&nbsp; I asked my good =
friend=20
      and mentor Beric German to write a review of the book for this=20
      newsletter.<BR><BR><BR><FONT color=3D#ff6600 size=3D4><STRONG>1. =
Shock=20
      Doctrine =96 the new world order undressed =96 by Beric=20
      German</STRONG></FONT><BR><BR>A book review - <STRONG>The Shock =
Doctrine:=20
      The Rise of Disaster Capitalism</STRONG> by Naomi Klein (Alfred A. =
Knopf=20
      Canada, 2007).<BR><BR>Cathy Crowe gave me <STRONG>The Shock=20
      Doctrine</STRONG> by Naomi Klein just prior to the holiday =
season.&nbsp;=20
      It has been instructive to me.&nbsp; Klein takes the reader on a =
journey=20
      with the handmaidens of modern capitalism and shows how =91shock =
therapies=92=20
      are being unraveled throughout Canada and the world.<BR><BR>Ms. =
Klein=20
      outlines how the CIA shock therapies share the same ideological=20
      foundations as the modern maps for success of right wing economic=20
      policies.&nbsp; The shock therapies are meant to erase any =
recollection of=20
      the past and leave a clean slate, or a brain without memory, with =
which to=20
      create a new blueprint.&nbsp; In the case of shock therapies in =
use by the=20
      CIA and psychiatrists, the more often outcome was severe damage to =
the=20
      brain.&nbsp; Similarly, shock therapy to economies have lead to =
not only=20
      the loss of social safety nets but wide spread deprivation and=20
      death.&nbsp; The book is an examination of oft forgotten or the=20
      deliberately hidden ravages of the new global order.<BR><BR>We are =

      introduced to Milton Friedman, the University of Chicago=92s =
economics=20
      department in the 1950=92s, and the whole school of thought for =
those=20
      referred to as =91the Chicago boys=92.&nbsp; We are shown how the=20
      indoctrination from this origin is now spreading throughout the=20
      world.&nbsp; This approach was behind the scenes that transformed =
Chile=20
      from the policies of Allende to those of Pinochet.&nbsp; The =
apologists=20
      and the Chicago boys believed that all the torture and death lead =
to a=20
      great new Chile and they are proud of their creation. Chile is now =
one of=20
      their main banners.&nbsp; The philosophy of the idea of a pure =
capitalism,=20
      devoid of the hindrances of social services and restrictions on =
the=20
      movement of capital, is not only poised to but is taking over the =
world,=20
      many countries at a time.<BR><BR>While reading Klein=92s expos=E9 =
people will=20
      learn of major historical and political events and their outcomes, =
such as=20
      what happened in the nations that were formerly part of the Soviet =
Union=20
      and the country of South Africa.&nbsp; You may be =91shocked=92 by =
what the=20
      mainstream media didn=92t and doesn=92t tell us.<BR><BR>At home, =
Cathy Crowe=20
      and the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee had homelessness =
declared a=20
      national disaster in 1998.&nbsp; The homeless disaster was a =
direct=20
      outcome of the shock doctrine working in Canada.&nbsp; The demise =
of a=20
      national housing program being the primary policy =
=91reconstruction=92 that=20
      lead to this man made disaster.&nbsp; The Shock Doctrine helps us =
to=20
      understand how national housing programs, state medical care, =
employment=20
      insurance and all social assistance are enigmas in the new world =
order -=20
      programs that should be privatized if they should exist at =
all.&nbsp; At=20
      best some should be dealt with by private charity - some more soup =
cans in=20
      the food bank.<BR><BR>Is this the way the world has to run?&nbsp; =
One of=20
      the new order=92s ways of survival is to employ open violence, and =
while=20
      there is little for the poor, military budgets expand.&nbsp; In =
Canada,=20
      the Harper government will spend $18.2 billion in 2007-2008 on the =

      military and only $2 billion on existing, not new social housing. =
The=20
      Toronto Disaster Relief Committee is responding with a <A=20
      href=3D"http://www.housingnotwar.ca" target=3D_blank>Housing Not =
War</A>=20
      campaign.<BR><BR>Klein=92s refreshing book may be able to help =
others=20
      construct a humane response to the Chicago boys=92 painful shock=20
      therapy.&nbsp;<BR><BR>Beric German is co-founder of TDRC and a =
long-time=20
      front line worker and advocate on homeless issues.<BR><BR><FONT=20
      size=3D4><STRONG>To view a short film by Alfonso Cuar=F3n and =
Naomi Klein,=20
      directed by Jon=E1s Cuar=F3n <A=20
      href=3D"http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine/short-film"=20
      target=3D_blank>click here</A>.</STRONG></FONT><BR><BR><BR><FONT=20
      color=3D#ff6600 size=3D4><STRONG>2. Peace on =
earth?</STRONG></FONT><BR><BR>On=20
      New Year=92s Eve, my friend Rick Archbold and I were planning to =
go to a=20
      movie the next day =96 as long as he made his writing =
deadline.&nbsp; When I=20
      asked him what he was working on he said he was writing a new =
final=20
      chapter to =91the flag book=92.&nbsp; <STRONG><A=20
      href=3D"http://s-a-d-publishers.ca/i_stand_for_canada/" =
target=3D_blank>I=20
      Stand for Canada: The Story of The Maple Leaf Flag</A> =
</STRONG>was=20
      published in 2002 and it is both an outstanding historical record =
and a=20
      pictorial overview of the history of how Canada got its maple leaf =

      flag.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Another friend asked him: =93What kind of new =
material=20
      are you adding?=94&nbsp; I blurted out =96 Afghanistan!&nbsp; =
=93Well yes,=94 Rick=20
      replied, =93As a matter of fact, think of it, this is the first =
war Canada=20
      has fought since the Maple Leaf became our flag.=94<BR><BR>Yes, =
Canada is at=20
      war in Afghanistan.&nbsp; Since 2001, Canadian Forces have been =
fighting a=20
      war that has now lasted longer than World War II.&nbsp; Not since =
the=20
      Korean War have so many Canadian soldiers been deployed to =
combat.&nbsp;=20
      76 Canadian soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan (at the time =
of this=20
      writing).&nbsp; 75 young men and one woman have died violent =
deaths=20
      ranging from suicide bombings, roadside bombs, landmine explosions =
and=20
      death by suicide and friendly fire =96 all returning home in a =
maple leaf=20
      flag-draped coffin.&nbsp;<BR><BR>Six years after the invasion =
began, the=20
      Afghanistan situation is no better than before the war.&nbsp; Few =
Afghanis=20
      have access to clean water and electricity; poverty and =
unemployment are=20
      severe; hundreds of millions of aid dollars have gone missing;=20
      reconstruction projects have been abandoned; opium production is =
at record=20
      levels; women have little safety.&nbsp; Thousands of Afghanis have =

      died.<BR><BR>Yet on New Year=92s Day Governor General Micha=EBlle =
Jean=20
      referred to our =93multinational reconstruction efforts in =
Afghanistan=94 as=20
      part of our solidarity efforts in the world.&nbsp; =
Reconstruction?&nbsp;=20
      Reconstruction is not happening abroad in Afghanistan or at home, =
but a=20
      lot of money is being spent pretending.<BR><BR>Our military =
spending will=20
      reach $18.2 billion in 2007-08, the highest annual amount since =
World War=20
      II.&nbsp; Much of this is being spent on military equipment =
intended for=20
      the war in Afghanistan, like the $3.4 billion for four military =
transport=20
      planes and $1.3 billion for 100 battle tanks.&nbsp; That $4.7 =
billion for=20
      arms could have provided at least 30,000 affordable homes for =
homeless=20
      families.&nbsp; The military budget now represents 8.5% of all =
Federal=20
      spending.&nbsp; The Toronto Star reports that Prime Minister =
Harper=20
      intends to boost the Canadian Forces=92 budget to $20 billion by =
2010.&nbsp;=20
      This flies in the face of housing activists=92 long-time demand =
that an=20
      additional 1% of the Federal budget, approximately $2 billion, be =
put=20
      towards a new national affordable housing program.&nbsp; =
Homelessness and=20
      hunger are well documented and the most painful expressions of the =
poverty=20
      here in Canada.&nbsp; Surely, we should be demanding that our =
federal=20
      government put an end to it.&nbsp; After all, as Gandhi stated =
=93Poverty is=20
      the worst form of violence.=94<BR><BR>If there is such a thing as =
a moral=20
      war, I don=92t think this is it.<BR><BR>To sign the Housing Not =
War=20
      declaration or to learn more - go to <A =
href=3D"http://www.housingnotwar.ca"=20
      =
target=3D_blank>www.housingnotwar.ca</A><BR><BR><BR>Cathy<BR><BR><FONT=20
      size=3D2>Thanks to Bob Crocker for editing and Dave Meslin for=20
      design.</FONT><BR></FONT></SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial"><FONT=20
      size=3D3><BR><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp; =
</FONT></FONT><O:P></SPAN><BR></O:P><FONT=20
      size=3D3><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: =
windowtext"></O:P></SPAN></FONT></P>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal align=3Dright><B><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#ff9a63 size=3D2><A=20
      style=3D"COLOR: #ff9a63" href=3D"mhtml:mid://00000129/#Back to =
Top"=20
      target=3D_self></A></FONT></B>&nbsp;</P>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal align=3Djustify>&nbsp;</P>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal align=3Djustify><FONT=20
face=3D"Book Antiqua">*****</FONT></P>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal align=3Djustify>&nbsp;</P>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">You =
have been=20
      subscribed to this list that is specifically for this monthly =
newsletter.=20
      We will not share this list with any other party. If you do not =
wish to=20
      receive any future editions, simply Reply to this email with the =
word=20
      "unsubscribe" in the subject line and you will be removed from the =
list.=20
      Also, if you have any questions about the list or any feedback for =
the=20
      newsletter send an email to: <A=20
      =
href=3D"mailto:crowenews@sherbourne.on.ca">crowenews@sherbourne.on.ca=20
      </A>.</FONT></P>
      <P class=3DMsoNormal align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Book =
Antiqua"><BR><B>Subscribe=20
      to this newsletter</B><BR><BR>I plan to publish this newsletter =
regularly.=20
      If you receive this newsletter directly, then your address is =
already on=20
      our mailing list; otherwise, to subscribe or unsubscribe, send a =
note to=20
      <A=20
      =
href=3D"mailto:crowenews@sherbourne.on.ca">crowenews@sherbourne.on.ca</A>=
<SPAN=20
      lang=3Den-us> </SPAN>. For more information on my work including =
this and=20
      other editions of my newsletter please visit my web page at <A=20
      =
href=3D"http://www.tdrc.net/cathycrowe.htm">www.tdrc.net/cathycrowe.htm</=
A>.=20
      <BR><BR>There is no charge for this newsletter.&nbsp;Please =
forward it to=20
      your friends and others who you think may be interested in it. I =
value=20
      your feedback and ideas. Please share them with me at <A=20
      =
href=3D"mailto:ccrowe@sherbourne.on.ca">ccrowe@sherbourne.on.ca</A> or =
c/o=20
      the Sherbourne Health Centre, 333 Sherbourne Street, Toronto, ON, =
M5A=20
      2S5.<BR>&nbsp;</FONT></P></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=3DMsoNormalTable id=3Dtable1 style=3D"BORDER-COLLAPSE: =
collapse"=20
height=3D38 cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 width=3D631 border=3D0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 5.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 5.75pt; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; WIDTH: 607px; PADDING-TOP: 0cm"=20
    vAlign=3Dtop =
height=3D38>&nbsp;</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C85334.E992DCA0--