[Hpn] Five sleep out to meet the homeless challenge

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:47:30 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C87AA7.55FE85D0

http://www.eastwoodadvertiser.co.uk/news/Five-sleep-out-to-meet.3826171.j=

Five sleep out to meet the homeless challenge

View Gallery

By Staff Copy

WITH cardboard boxes as their only protection from the cold, members of =
St Andrews Church in Langley Mill prepared for a long night ahead of =
them.
The five friends took on the challenge of spending the night in the =
church porch to raise awareness of homelessness.

Two years ago the church started raising awareness of street children in =
Romania. One of the volunteers, David Fidler said: "It developed from =
that to saying that we didn't know a lot about homeless people around us =
so we started to investigate homelessness in the area.

"We found there was a centre in Eastwood that we didn't know about that =
looked after homeless people or those below the poverty line. They =
provide hot drinks, meals and facilities for washing clothes and =
showering.

"We got in touch and said 'how he can we help? we started by collecting =
food and washing items and taking them up on a regular basis.

"We found out a lot more people were using the centre than we had =
imagined."

The church also began helping another nearby centre for 16-18 year-olds. =
David said: "We wanted to provide some help for them and raise =
awareness. You go round day to day not knowing this is going on around =
you."

The group then came up with the idea of us doing a sleep out to raise =
money to provide materials for the centre so that the youngsters could =
have possessions for their rooms such as new bedding, pots and pans, w=20

hich they get to take with them when they leave.

The church have now set up a fund to help homeless charities. David =
said: "Homelessness a bigger issue than you're aware of. We wanted to =
set up a fund so we can go and help people whenever we can."

Speaking of the night they spent out in the cold he said: "We went into =
it on a high. We did it because we wanted to do it - halfway through the =
night we realised how difficult it would be for people forced into that =
situation.

" We knew the following night we would be in our beds and therefore it =
wasn't a particular hardship to us.

"Doing it draws attention to the people that are there for no fault of =
their own."

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C87AA7.55FE85D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3Dpremiumoff id=3DdivFrozen>
<DIV class=3D"priemiumbox noborder">
<DIV class=3Dpaddingpremium>
<DIV class=3Dleftpremium>
<H3><A=20
href=3D"http://www.eastwoodadvertiser.co.uk/news/Five-sleep-out-to-meet.3=
826171.jp">http://www.eastwoodadvertiser.co.uk/news/Five-sleep-out-to-mee=
t.3826171.jp</A></H3>
<H3>
<DIV class=3Dheadline id=3Dds-headline>
<H1>Five sleep out to meet the homeless challenge</H1></DIV><BR =
clear=3Dall><BR=20
clear=3Dall></H3></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV id=3Dviewarticle>
<DIV class=3Dviewarticlepanel>
<DIV class=3Dmultiimageoff id=3DMainMultiImage>
<DIV class=3D"off noprint" id=3DdivGalleryLink><A=20
href=3D"javascript: ViewGallery();">View Gallery</A></DIV>
<DIV class=3D"off noprint"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dbyline id=3Dds-byline>By Staff Copy</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dbyline>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dds-bylinetext id=3Dds-bylinetext></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dds-keypoints =
id=3Dds-keypoints></DIV><!--google_ad_section_start--><!-- Article Start =
-->
<DIV class=3Dds-firstpara id=3Dds-firstpara>WITH cardboard boxes as =
their only=20
protection from the cold, members of St Andrews Church in Langley Mill =
prepared=20
for a long night ahead of them.</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dva-bodytext id=3Dva-bodytext>The five friends took on the =
challenge of=20
spending the night in the church porch to raise awareness of=20
homelessness.<BR><BR>Two years ago the church started raising awareness =
of=20
street children in Romania. One of the volunteers, David Fidler said: =
"It=20
developed from that to saying that we didn't know a lot about homeless =
people=20
around us so we started to investigate homelessness in the =
area.<BR><BR>"We=20
found there was a centre in Eastwood that we didn't know about that =
looked after=20
homeless people or those below the poverty line. They provide hot =
drinks, meals=20
and facilities for washing clothes and showering.<BR><BR>"We got in =
touch and=20
said 'how he can we help? we started by collecting food and washing =
items and=20
taking them up on a regular basis.<BR><BR>"We found out a lot more =
people were=20
using the centre than we had imagined."<BR><BR>The church also began =
helping=20
another nearby centre for 16-18 year-olds. David said: "We wanted to =
provide=20
some help for them and raise awareness. You go round day to day not =
knowing this=20
is going on around you."<BR><BR>The group then came up with the idea of =
us doing=20
a sleep out to raise money to provide materials for the centre so that =
the=20
youngsters could have possessions for their rooms such as new bedding, =
pots and=20
pans, w=20
<DIV id=3Dds-mpu><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>hich =
they get to take=20
with them when they leave.<BR><BR>The church have now set up a fund to =
help=20
homeless charities. David said: "Homelessness a bigger issue than you're =
aware=20
of. We wanted to set up a fund so we can go and help people whenever we=20
can."<BR><BR>Speaking of the night they spent out in the cold he said: =
"We went=20
into it on a high. We did it because we wanted to do it - halfway =
through the=20
night we realised how difficult it would be for people forced into that=20
situation.<BR><BR>=93 We knew the following night we would be in our =
beds and=20
therefore it wasn't a particular hardship to us.<BR><BR>"Doing it draws=20
attention to the people that are there for no fault of their=20
own."<BR><BR><BR></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C87AA7.55FE85D0--