[Hpn] Members of a church group plan to spend a weekend living as the homeless do

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 03:21:49 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C875CB.3A67C830

Street lesson for church youth
  Members of a church group plan to spend a weekend living as the =
homeless do.
By Michelle Jones, Times Correspondent

Published February 23, 2008

 http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/23/Pasco/Street_lesson_for_chu.shtml

=20

NEW PORT RICHEY - Garrett Pelley hopes to gain a better understanding of =
what it means to be homeless after he spends a weekend experiencing what =
it might be like to have no real roof over his head.=20

"Homeless people need to be helped," said the 13-year-old, who will take =
part in an event called Forty Hours, sponsored by the middle school =
ministry at Calvary Chapel Worship Center. It will take place March 7 =
through March 9 on the grounds of the church in New Port Richey.=20

>From 5 p.m. Friday until 9 a.m. Sunday, 40 middle school students and 10 =
adults will live as the homeless do. Fourteen more youths are on a =
waiting list in case there is an opening to take part.=20

David Avery, church pastor and head of the church's middle school youth =
group, is in charge of the project.=20

"They will live in a shanty town, sleep in cardboard boxes and use =
portable potties," said Avery. "The only time they will leave the church =
grounds is when they will go to church members' homes and work day =
jobs."=20

The project has a three-fold purpose: to raise awareness of homelessness =
in America, to raise funds for local mission trips and outreaches, and =
to help understand the heart and the mind of Jesus Christ.=20

"This age group has so much energy, we want to direct it in the right =
direction," said Avery. "Last Veterans Day they used their day off from =
school to go to a homeless shelter and made 600 peanut butter and jelly =
sandwiches. They are great kids."=20

Since the youngsters will not be bringing any food to their project, =
they will probably get a feel of what it is like to not know where their =
next meal is coming from.=20

Each youngster has a sponsor sheet to help raise funds for the project. =
Part of the money raised will go toward a weeklong mission trip to St. =
Petersburg this summer to work at a homeless shelter.=20

"We are also asking businesses to help," said Avery.=20

Madeline Del Negro, 13, is committed to the project.=20

"We are going to know what it is like, in a small way, to be homeless," =
she said. "I feel sad because they feel sad. I am doing this for Jesus." =

Garrett summed up the reason for the project when he said that the Bible =
says it is good to receive help in troubled times.=20

"We should pick them up and dust them off," he said.

If anyone would like to donate to this project, Avery can be reached at =
(727) 376-7733. The church is at 6825 Trouble Creek Road, New Port =
Richey.

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C875CB.3A67C830

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H1>Street lesson for church youth</H1>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <H3>Members of a church group plan to spend a weekend living as the =
homeless=20
  do.</H3></BLOCKQUOTE>
<P>By Michelle Jones, Times Correspondent</P>
<P><BR>Published February 23, 2008</P>
<P>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/23/Pasco/Street_lesson_for_chu.sht=
ml">http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/23/Pasco/Street_lesson_for_chu.shtml</=
A></FONT></P>
<P> </P><!--BEGIN GR300-->
<P>NEW PORT RICHEY - Garrett Pelley hopes to gain a better understanding =
of what=20
it means to be homeless after he spends a weekend experiencing what it =
might be=20
like to have no real roof over his head. </P>
<P>"Homeless people need to be helped," said the 13-year-old, who will =
take part=20
in an event called Forty Hours, sponsored by the middle school ministry =
at=20
Calvary Chapel Worship Center. It will take place March 7 through March =
9 on the=20
grounds of the church in New Port Richey. </P>
<P>From 5 p.m. Friday until 9 a.m. Sunday, 40 middle school students and =
10=20
adults will live as the homeless do. Fourteen more youths are on a =
waiting list=20
in case there is an opening to take part. </P>
<P>David Avery, church pastor and head of the church's middle school =
youth=20
group, is in charge of the project. </P>
<P>"They will live in a shanty town, sleep in cardboard boxes and use =
portable=20
potties," said Avery. "The only time they will leave the church grounds =
is when=20
they will go to church members' homes and work day jobs." </P>
<P>The project has a three-fold purpose: to raise awareness of =
homelessness in=20
America, to raise funds for local mission trips and outreaches, and to =
help=20
understand the heart and the mind of Jesus Christ. </P>
<P>"This age group has so much energy, we want to direct it in the right =

direction," said Avery. "Last Veterans Day they used their day off from =
school=20
to go to a homeless shelter and made 600 peanut butter and jelly =
sandwiches.=20
They are great kids." </P>
<P>Since the youngsters will not be bringing any food to their project, =
they=20
will probably get a feel of what it is like to not know where their next =
meal is=20
coming from. </P>
<P>Each youngster has a sponsor sheet to help raise funds for the =
project. Part=20
of the money raised will go toward a weeklong mission trip to St. =
Petersburg=20
this summer to work at a homeless shelter. </P>
<P>"We are also asking businesses to help," said Avery. </P>
<P>Madeline Del Negro, 13, is committed to the project. </P>
<P>"We are going to know what it is like, in a small way, to be =
homeless," she=20
said. "I feel sad because they feel sad. I am doing this for Jesus." =
</P>
<P>Garrett summed up the reason for the project when he said that the =
Bible says=20
it is good to receive help in troubled times. </P>
<P>"We should pick them up and dust them off," he said.</P>
<P>If anyone would like to donate to this project, Avery can be reached =
at (727)=20
376-7733. The church is at 6825 Trouble Creek Road, New Port Richey.</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C875CB.3A67C830--