[Hpn] Kittery homeless get lessons in cooking, everyday life

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:43:37 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00D8_01C87548.29417570

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=3D/20080222/NEWS/=
802220442/-1/rss01

Kittery homeless get lessons in cooking, everyday life

By Jeann=E9 McCartin
news@seacoastonline.com
February 22, 2008
KITTERY, Maine - Fair Tide Transitional Housing in Kittery, Maine, =
differs from many programs dealing with homelessness because it =
addresses core reasons a person or family struggles and fails to keep a =
roof over its head, according to executive director Joe Galli.

To address fundamental issues Fair Tide's Mary Oplinger, program =
director, offers one-on-one life- coaching to residents. But another =
important element is workshops offered by community members, who share =
an expertise that supports a family's move forward.

ONLINE
To learn more about Fair Tide Transitional Housing or the Fair Tide =
Thrift Shop, visit=20

www.fairtide.org.

"I totally agree this is what a neighborhood should do. But I'll push =
that one further and say this is what a local business can do," says =
Susan Tuveson, owner of Cacao Chocolates in Kittery.

Tuveson recently offered a workshop at the Fair Tide on cooking on a =
budget while saving time. She had approached the organization about =
giving a class without realizing it already had a neighbor-to-neighbor =
program in place. The chocolatier/chef regularly gives time to Operation =
Frontline, a nutrition education program, part of Save our Strength, a =
nonprofit hunger relief organization. She decided rather than travel to =
give a hand she'd do something close to home.

She turned to Fair Tide after recalling a friend decorated a bedroom =
just before the grand opening of its five-unit residential house.

"I thought, this is my way to jump in, it's the best way for me," =
Tuveson said. "My business doesn't advertise. We're about doing =
community service and charitable donations. It's a mission for our =
business. And we, I, believe food is powerful; it's a family, group =
activity. I thought personally I've got to have a way to keep a hand in =
helping out, it's a commitment to community service, to teaching people =
how to cook and eat healthy food, and to show them if you cook from =
scratch it's cheaper."

The workshop taught how to make one dinner into three, starting with a =
baked chicken "so easy," carrots roasted in the same pan, and rice. The =
trio later morphed into chicken tortillas and later still into soup - =
and "nutritional, tasty rice pudding. ... So basically it's how to get =
three meals out of one $4.30 chicken," Tuveson said.

Fair Tide, which runs a thrift store by the same name to help run the =
program, has already lined up other neighbors to drop by and share. =
Steven Kosacz, from the Foreign Auto Works in Kittery, will show =
residents a few do-it-yourself car maintenance tips. "He'll come in the =
summer so we can be outside and look at the engine," Oplinger said. "We =
also have Morey Stettner coming for a communication skills workshop." =
Stettner will stress job interviews.

Additional guests will address horticultural therapy, both flowers and =
garden. "In April we'll be planning our gardens. We already have raised =
beds," Oplinger said. "(Residents) choose what they want to plant. A lot =
of the people are interested in planting foods." The program is in the =
process of lining up someone to teach the basics of balancing a check =
book and managing household finances.

Fair Tide history is steeped in community support, Galli said. It was =
founded in 1998 by concerned, community members, led by Debby Ronnquist.

"It's a platform to deal with one-on-one support for each family," says =
Galli. "There are some people that can't keep their permanent housing =
without support in place. ...; This is the holistic approach to the =
family."

New Hampshire Homeless
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.
1-603-286-2492
http://www.missingkids.com
http://www.nationalhomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org
newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com

------=_NextPart_000_00D8_01C87548.29417570

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3DbylineContainer>
<DIV class=3DbylineText><SPAN class=3Dby><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=3D/200802=
22/NEWS/802220442/-1/rss01">http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a=
rticle?AID=3D/20080222/NEWS/802220442/-1/rss01</A></FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV class=3DbylineText><SPAN class=3Dby></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3DbylineText><SPAN class=3Dby>Kittery homeless get lessons in =
cooking,=20
everyday life</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV class=3DbylineText><SPAN class=3Dby></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3DbylineText><SPAN class=3Dby>By </SPAN><SPAN class=3Dbyline=20
style=3D"COLOR: #982d01">Jeann=E9 McCartin</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV class=3DbylineExtra>news@seacoastonline.com</DIV></DIV>
<DIV class=3DbylineDate><SPAN>February 22, 2008<SPAN></DIV>
<SCRIPT language=3Djavascript type=3Dtext/javascript>			imgCounter +=3D =
1;			aryImgs[imgCounter] =3D =
"http://images.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=3DSO&Date=3D2=
0080222&Category=3DNEWS&ArtNo=3D802220442&Ref=3DV1&MaxW=3D200&MaxH=3D180&=
title=3D1&border=3D0";			aryCaps[imgCounter] =3D "<div =
class=3D\"caption\">Susan%20Tuveson%2C%20owner%20of%20Cacao%20Chocolates%=
20in%20Kittery%2C%20Maine%2C%20shows%20Barbara%20Kelleher%20of%20Kittery%=
2C%20center%2C%20and%20Anne%20Hunter%2C%20the%20manager%20of%20Fair%20Tid=
e%20Thrift%20Store%2C%20how%20to%20cook%20three%20meals%20from%20one%20fo=
ur-pound%20chicken%20and%20vegetables. <br /><span =
class=3D\"photoCredit\">Scott Yates/syates@seacoastonlin</span></div>";		=
	aryZooms[imgCounter] =3D "javascript: =
NewWindow(870,625,window.document.location+'&Template=3Dphotos&img=3D"+im=
gCounter+"')";		</SCRIPT>

<P class=3DarticleGraf>KITTERY, Maine =97 Fair Tide Transitional Housing =
in Kittery,=20
Maine, differs from many programs dealing with homelessness because it =
addresses=20
core reasons a person or family struggles and fails to keep a roof over =
its=20
head, according to executive director Joe Galli.</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>To address fundamental issues Fair Tide's Mary =
Oplinger,=20
program director, offers one-on-one life- coaching to residents. But =
another=20
important element is workshops offered by community members, who share =
an=20
expertise that supports a family's move forward.</P>
<DIV id=3DfactBox>
<H2 class=3DbdyTitle>ONLINE</H2>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>To learn more about Fair Tide Transitional =
Housing or the=20
Fair Tide Thrift Shop, visit </P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>www.fairtide.org.</P></DIV>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>"I totally agree this is what a neighborhood =
should do. But=20
I'll push that one further and say this is what a local business can =
do," says=20
Susan Tuveson, owner of Cacao Chocolates in Kittery.</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>Tuveson recently offered a workshop at the Fair =
Tide on=20
cooking on a budget while saving time. She had approached the =
organization about=20
giving a class without realizing it already had a neighbor-to-neighbor =
program=20
in place. The chocolatier/chef regularly gives time to Operation =
Frontline, a=20
nutrition education program, part of Save our Strength, a nonprofit =
hunger=20
relief organization. She decided rather than travel to give a hand she'd =
do=20
something close to home.</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>She turned to Fair Tide after recalling a friend =
decorated=20
a bedroom just before the grand opening of its five-unit residential =
house.</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>"I thought, this is my way to jump in, it's the =
best way=20
for me," Tuveson said. "My business doesn't advertise. We're about doing =

community service and charitable donations. It's a mission for our =
business. And=20
we, I, believe food is powerful; it's a family, group activity. I =
thought=20
personally I've got to have a way to keep a hand in helping out, it's a=20
commitment to community service, to teaching people how to cook and eat =
healthy=20
food, and to show them if you cook from scratch it's cheaper."</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>The workshop taught how to make one dinner into =
three,=20
starting with a baked chicken "so easy," carrots roasted in the same =
pan, and=20
rice. The trio later morphed into chicken tortillas and later still into =
soup =97=20
and "nutritional, tasty rice pudding. ... So basically it's how to get =
three=20
meals out of one $4.30 chicken," Tuveson said.</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>Fair Tide, which runs a thrift store by the same =
name to=20
help run the program, has already lined up other neighbors to drop by =
and share.=20
Steven Kosacz, from the Foreign Auto Works in Kittery, will show =
residents a few=20
do-it-yourself car maintenance tips. "He'll come in the summer so we can =
be=20
outside and look at the engine," Oplinger said. "We also have Morey =
Stettner=20
coming for a communication skills workshop." Stettner will stress job=20
interviews.</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>Additional guests will address horticultural =
therapy, both=20
flowers and garden. "In April we'll be planning our gardens. We already =
have=20
raised beds," Oplinger said. "(Residents) choose what they want to =
plant. A lot=20
of the people are interested in planting foods." The program is in the =
process=20
of lining up someone to teach the basics of balancing a check book and =
managing=20
household finances.</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>Fair Tide history is steeped in community =
support, Galli=20
said. It was founded in 1998 by concerned, community members, led by =
Debby=20
Ronnquist.</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>"It's a platform to deal with one-on-one support =
for each=20
family," says Galli. "There are some people that can't keep their =
permanent=20
housing without support in place. ...; This is the holistic approach to =
the=20
family."</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>&nbsp;</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P class=3DarticleGraf>&nbsp;</P></SPAN></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>New Hampshire Homeless<BR>Founded=20
11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street<BR>Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640=20
USA<BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human=20
rights.<BR>1-603-286-2492<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A><BR><A =

href=3D"http://www.nationalhomeless.org">http://www.nationalhomeless.org<=
/A><BR><A=20