[Hpn] cathy crowe news February 2008 Newsletter

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:24:35 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0207_01C86A88.3CFB2E50

Dear Subscribers

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Cathy Crowe News=20

      Newsletter No. 42 , February 2008

      Below is the forty-second edition of Cathy Crowe's monthly =
newsletter. This is a great resource for individuals who care about =
homelessness and housing, health and other social issues.=20

      You can also view Cathy's newsletters at her website at: =
http://tdrc.net/index.php?page=3Dnewsletter
     =20
    =20

      Further information about subscribing to the newsletter is found =
below. I want to hear from you - about the newsletter, about things that =
are happening in the homelessness sector (what a sad term!), and about =
good things which will provide inspiration for all of us=20

    =20

      1. Breaking News!!!=20

      2. "A right delayed is a right denied." Martin Luther King=20

      3. Cross border trafficking=20

      1. Breaking News!!!

      GENEVA (IP) - A team of top scientists from several countries, =
collaborating under an international project, announced today a =
breakthrough in the form of a radical technology that will make great =
strides in solving the problem of global homelessness.

      The audience of mainly journalists fell silent as the device was =
unveiled at the crowded afternoon news conference in this western-most =
Swiss city.

      "What do you call it?" shouted one reporter, as the crowd surged =
forward to overwhelm the stage.

      "An affordable home", the team leader replied.

      2. "A right delayed is a right denied" Martin Luther King

      In January, I attended a provincial budget consultation with =
Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan, attended by a wide variety of =
interests including social agencies, unions, the film industry, =
chartered accountants and truckers. One activist described the event as =
being like serfs coming to beg the king for what each needed. I was =
pleased that so many groups called for funding for housing as a =
cornerstone in the provincial Poverty Reduction Strategy. The following =
was my presentation to the Minister.

      Don't delay! Budget for human rights!

      Today is Martin Luther King Day and people in Canada will join =
Americans to honour and celebrate his life. King once said: "A right =
delayed is a right denied."

      Today, I do not doubt that Martin Luther King would declare =
poverty a human rights violation. I also do not doubt that he would sign =
the Housing Not War declaration that calls for the Canadian federal =
government to redirect its exorbitant military spending to social =
programs like housing and child care.

      "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on =
military defence than on programs of social uplift is approaching =
spiritual doom." (Martin Luther King)

      Poverty, hunger and homelessness.

      What can I tell you that I believe is new this year that you must =
consider, as you develop the budget?

      1. Poverty, hunger and homelessness is now entrenched in every =
community in Ontario. It is recognized as a crisis; an emergency, a =
public health hazard and communities are outraged and feel abandoned by =
senior levels of government. Mayors, such as Mayor Rosen in Kingston =
have created task forces to examine the issue, and reports galore have =
emerged from communities including Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, and =
Kenora.

      2. The United Nations has come to view it. Miloon Kothari, United =
Nations Special Rapporteur on the Right to Adequate Housing, in his =
preliminary observations at the end of his two-week fact-finding mission =
to Canada two months ago stated:

        "Everywhere that I visited in Canada, I met people who are =
homeless and living in inadequate and insecure housing conditions. On =
this mission I heard of hundreds of people who have died as a direct =
result of Canada's nationwide housing crisis. In its most recent =
periodic review of Canada's compliance with the International Covenant =
on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, the United Nations used strong =
language to label housing and homelessness and inadequate housing as a =
`national emergency.'

        "Everything that I witnessed on this mission confirms the deep =
and devastating impact of this national crisis on the lives of women, =
youth, children and men."

        Kothari added: "The federal government needs to commit funding =
and programs to realize a comprehensive national housing strategy and to =
co-ordinate actions among the provinces and territories to meet Canada's =
housing rights obligations. Canada needs to once again embark on a =
large-scale building of social housing units across the country."

      That necessitates provincial participation.

      3. People are protesting the poverty. The largest anti-poverty =
march and demonstration in over ten years took place last September and =
ended at Queen's Park. Over 100 organization and social movements joined =
this coalition calling for specific policies to address poverty. =
Communities are organizing to send you a very big message that they want =
specific measures now, to minimize poverty. Such as a $10 minimum wage =
now, such as money for affordable housing, such as increases to social =
assistance that make a real dent in horrid living circumstances and will =
allow people to not go hungry.

      4. Media are tracking the issue. Unprecedented media interest, =
analysis and persistence ranging from the Toronto Star to the Kingston =
Whig Standard to the recent article on poverty and immigrants in the =
Windsor Star means the issue is being tracked and the work of the =
Cabinet Committee on Poverty Reduction will be scrutinized. I believe =
the media will not let this go.

      5. Volunteers and the faith based charity sector are beginning to =
realize that it should not be their role to provide the main staffing =
energies and funds for endeavours that are life-sustaining such as =
church basement emergency shelters that for the most part, by their very =
nature, cannot even meet the UN Standards for Refugee Camps. They are =
increasingly calling on your government to address the issues.

      6. Last year's budget left many wanting. It is pretty clear that =
last year's budget increases to social assistance rates and minimum wage =
have not made a dent in poverty. Certainly the lack of housing money =
speaks for itself and sadly this past year we have witnessed a further =
deterioration in public housing and older social housing buildings =
including advancing mould, water damage, infestations which have =
included massive bed bug spread and sadly, fires that have taken several =
lives - both in municipal social housing and in empty buildings used as =
squats.

      7. The hidden nature of families with children. This will be the =
year that homeless families and children, and those on the risk of =
homelessness will take charge and speak out. It is no accident that the =
atrocious conditions of homeless families, shoved into scummy motels in =
communities like Sarnia is being exposed. It is no accident that =
communities, driven by homeless crisis management issues, are now =
realizing that they have growing numbers of homeless families, no =
shelters for them and certainly no affordable housing being built for =
them.

      "A right delayed is a right denied." - said Martin Luther King.

      I urge you to not delay making decisions that will respect the =
human rights needs here in Ontario. The right to shelter, housing, =
adequate income and food. Your decisions will involve spending.

      This afternoon you will hear some specifics from Michael Shapcott =
which I support. He will call for you to introduce in the budget:

        . $1.9 billion in new housing funding:

        . $600 million to upload housing back to the provincial level =
where it belongs;

        . $220 million for 45,000 rent supplements;

        . $830 million for capital grants for 8,300 new truly affordable =
homes;

        . $260 million for a social housing rehabilitation fund.

      Recession - can poor people survive a major storm!

      Everyone is now warning of a recession. An economic disaster that =
will hit our communities that are seriously compromised since the 1980s =
- left without adequate social infrastructure! Our message is more =
urgent than ever. Ontarians will be left in a recession without jobs, =
without housing, without income, without adequate shelter. We must =
protect people. It more important than ever before.

      We need a new deal. A new deal that will create construction jobs =
and create housing.

      This is not the time for unnecessary research. It is time to act.

      Make it known that you believe Ontarians have the right to safe, =
affordable housing, the right to food security and to sustain themselves =
and their family.

      3. Cross border trafficking

      Canadian snowbirds are apparently also flying south to learn. I =
recently met several people who told me they were heading to Florida for =
a 'homelessness conference'. (Note - seasonal temperatures are 74-76 =
Fahrenheit or 23-25 Celsius). Washington and New York are other 'hot' =
destinations for 'homeless' conference goers.

      Meanwhile, Philip Mangano, America's so-called 'Homeless Czar' =
crossed north over the US-Canada border this week to help Edmonton, =
Alberta Mayor Stephen Mandel and the Edmonton Committee to End =
Homelessness reach the goal of ending homelessness in 10 years. =
(Edmonton temperatures will range from -20 to -25 Celsius during his =
visit).

      According to the Edmonton SUN, Mr. Mangano is convinced Edmonton =
can wipe out homelessness within a decade. He acknowledges that most =
American cities that have made similar commitments have yet to be =
successful. As I'm writing this I'm thinking I should write a comedy =
script for the Rick Mercer Report. (Note - for my American readers =
imagine Stephen Colbert making fun of a Canada that lets Americans in to =
tell us what to do - create free trade, make deep cuts to social =
services then privatize services, send troops to Afghanistan, end =
homelessness without building affordable housing, etc.)

      I continue to be amazed that Canadians regard the American =
experience as wise, expert or informed when it comes to responses to =
homelessness and the affordable housing crisis. A visit to any major =
American city will illustrate the ongoing crisis. Look at America's =
response to Katrina victims - many remain homeless today. The recent US =
subprime and foreclosure crisis is now lurching thousands more Americans =
into homelessness. My American colleague William Tinker from the New =
Hampshire Homeless Coalition sends me at least three US headlines daily =
that scream social disaster.

      Here are just a few January 2008 examples:

      "Soup kitchen's numbers grow" - Home News Tribune, New Jersey

      "News you can use: number of households on food stamps doubles =
since 2000" - Ap/Chicago Tribune

      "Many homeless die before old age. The average age was 48" - KABC, =
Los Angeles

      "Cities crack down on panhandlers" - United Press International. =
UPI, New York

      "Less aid, less food - MORE NEEDY: Cash-hungry food banks try to =
cope as growing numbers enter the ranks of near homeless" - The Patriot =
Ledger, Boston

      Mr. Mangano's visit to Edmonton ironically comes one month after =
the U.S. Conference of Mayors released its 2007 Hunger and Homelessness =
report in Washington, D.C. The report noted growing food insecurity and =
homelessness across the United States.=20

      Evidence in the U.S. Mayor's report includes: an increase in =
homeless families with children entering emergency shelters and staying =
an average of 5.7 months; the most common cause of families with =
children becoming homeless was the lack of affordable housing; twelve =
cities reported being unable to meet homeless persons shelter needs and =
numerous cities turned people away from shelter some or all of the time. =
Several cities including Des Moines (Iowa), Detroit (Michigan), St. Paul =
(Minnesota), Trenton (New Jersey) all reported growing hunger and =
homelessness despite the introduction of ten-year plans.

      For more background on Mr. Mangano see: =
http://tdrc.net/index.php?page=3D35---spring-2007

      For made in Canada solutions to homelessness, just look around in =
your neighbourhood to see what was built and funded before the federal =
government cancelled our national housing program in 1993. As our team =
of international scientists discovered in "Breaking News" at the top of =
this newsletter and the only way that I know how to end the homeless =
crisis is to build and maintain truly affordable housing. The solution =
to the homeless problem really is that simple and we don't need Mr. =
Mangano to tell us otherwise.=20

      Cathy

      Thanks to Dave Meslin for layout and design, Bob Crocker for =
editing and international correspondent Jon Alexander for 'Breaking =
News'.

      *****

      There is no charge for this newsletter. Please forward it to your =
friends and others who you think may be interested in it. I value your =
feedback and ideas. Please share them with me at ccrowe@sherbourne.on.ca =
 or c/o the Sherbourne Health Centre, 333 Sherbourne Street, Toronto, =
ON, M5A 2S5.
    =20
        =20

------=_NextPart_000_0207_01C86A88.3CFB2E50

<HTML XMLNS=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" XMLNS:V =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" XMLNS:O =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"><HEAD><TITLE>Dear =
Subscribers</TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>style19 {
	FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
}
style20 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 18px
}
style21 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 18px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, =
sans-serif
}
style22 {
	FONT-SIZE: 18px; COLOR: #ff6600
}
BODY {
	BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffefd9
}
style23 {
	FONT-SIZE: 16px
}
style25 {
	FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
}
</STYLE>

<META http-equiv=3DContent-Language content=3Den-ca>
<META content=3DFrontPage.Editor.Document name=3DProgId>
<STYLE>
<!--
 p.MsoNormal
	{
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
 font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
 margin-left:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-top:0cm}
 table.MsoNormalTable
	{
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman"}
style4 {
	font-size: 12px;
}
-->
</STYLE>
<BASE target=3D_blank>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.3243" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#fff0e1>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dcrowenews@sherbourne.on.ca =
href=3D"mailto:crowenews@sherbourne.on.ca">Cathy=20
Crowe News</A> </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<TABLE height=3D1362 cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 width=3D700 =
border=3D0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD vAlign=3Dcenter height=3D290>
      <P style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 14px; TEXT-ALIGN: center" =
align=3Dcenter><B><BR><SPAN=20
      class=3Dstyle23>Newsletter No. 42 , February =
2008<BR></SPAN></B></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle23 align=3Djustify><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle23>Below is the forty-second edition of Cathy =
Crowe's=20
      monthly newsletter. This is a great resource for individuals who =
care=20
      about homelessness and housing, health and other social issues. =
</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle23>You can also view Cathy's newsletters at her =
website at:=20
      <A=20
      =
href=3D"http://tdrc.net/index.php?page=3Dnewsletter">http://tdrc.net/inde=
x.php?page=3Dnewsletter</A></P></TD>
    <TD align=3Dmiddle height=3D290>
      <P>&nbsp;</P></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD vAlign=3Dtop colSpan=3D2 height=3D98>
      <P align=3Djustify><BR>Further information about subscribing to =
the=20
      newsletter is found below. I want to hear from you - about the =
newsletter,=20
      about things that are happening in the homelessness sector (what a =
sad=20
      term!), and about good things which will provide inspiration for =
all of us=20
      </P>
      <P=20
      =
align=3Djustify>*********************************************************=
*****</P></TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD colSpan=3D2 height=3D974>
      <P class=3D"style19 style20"><BR>1. Breaking News!!! </P>
      <P class=3Dstyle21>2. =93A right delayed is a right denied.=94 =
Martin Luther=20
      King </P>
      <P class=3Dstyle21>3. Cross border trafficking </P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>&nbsp;</P>
      <P class=3D"style19 style22"><STRONG>1. Breaking =
News!!!</STRONG></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>GENEVA (IP) - A team of top scientists from =
several=20
      countries, collaborating under an international project, announced =
today a=20
      breakthrough in the form of a radical technology that will make =
great=20
      strides in solving the problem of global homelessness.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>The audience of mainly journalists fell silent =
as the=20
      device was unveiled at the crowded afternoon news conference in =
this=20
      western-most Swiss city.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>"What do you call it?" shouted one reporter, as =
the crowd=20
      surged forward to overwhelm the stage.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>"An affordable home", the team leader =
replied.<BR></P>
      <P class=3D"style19 style22"><STRONG><BR><BR>2. "A right delayed =
is a right=20
      denied" Martin Luther King</STRONG></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>In January, I attended a provincial budget =
consultation=20
      with Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan, attended by a wide =
variety of=20
      interests including social agencies, unions, the film industry, =
chartered=20
      accountants and truckers. One activist described the event as =
being like=20
      serfs coming to beg the king for what each needed. I was pleased =
that so=20
      many groups called for funding for housing as a cornerstone in the =

      provincial Poverty Reduction Strategy. The following was my =
presentation=20
      to the Minister.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><EM><STRONG>Don=92t delay! Budget for human=20
      rights!</STRONG></EM></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Today is Martin Luther King Day and people in =
Canada will=20
      join Americans to honour and celebrate his life. King once said:=20
      <EM><STRONG>=93A right delayed is a right =
denied.=94</STRONG></EM></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Today, I do not doubt that Martin Luther King =
would=20
      declare poverty a human rights violation. I also do not doubt that =
he=20
      would sign the <EM><STRONG>Housing Not War</STRONG></EM> =
declaration that=20
      calls for the Canadian federal government to redirect its =
exorbitant=20
      military spending to social programs like housing and child =
care.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><EM><STRONG>=93A nation that continues year =
after year to=20
      spend more money on military defence than on programs of social =
uplift is=20
      approaching spiritual doom.=94</STRONG></EM> (Martin Luther =
King)</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><EM><STRONG>Poverty, hunger and=20
      homelessness.</STRONG></EM></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>What can I tell you that I believe is =
<EM>new=20
      this year</EM> that you must consider, as you develop the=20
      budget?</STRONG></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>1. Poverty, hunger and homelessness is =
now=20
      entrenched in every community in Ontario.</STRONG> It is =
recognized as a=20
      crisis; an emergency, a public health hazard and communities are =
outraged=20
      and feel abandoned by senior levels of government. Mayors, such as =
Mayor=20
      Rosen in Kingston have created task forces to examine the issue, =
and=20
      reports galore have emerged from communities including Toronto, =
Hamilton,=20
      Ottawa, and Kenora.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>2. The United Nations has come to view =
it.=20
      </STRONG>Miloon Kothari, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the =
Right to=20
      Adequate Housing, in his preliminary observations at the end of =
his=20
      two-week fact-finding mission to Canada two months ago stated:</P>
      <BLOCKQUOTE>
        <P class=3Dstyle19>"Everywhere that I visited in Canada, I met =
people who=20
        are homeless and living in inadequate and insecure housing =
conditions.=20
        On this mission I heard of hundreds of people who have died as a =
direct=20
        result of Canada's nationwide housing crisis. In its most recent =

        periodic review of Canada's compliance with the International =
Covenant=20
        on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, the United Nations used =
strong=20
        language to label housing and homelessness and inadequate =
housing as a=20
        `national emergency.'</P>
        <P class=3Dstyle19>"Everything that I witnessed on this mission =
confirms=20
        the deep and devastating impact of this national crisis on the =
lives of=20
        women, youth, children and men."</P>
        <P class=3Dstyle19>Kothari added: "The federal government needs =
to commit=20
        funding and programs to realize a comprehensive national housing =

        strategy and to co-ordinate actions among the provinces and =
territories=20
        to meet Canada's housing rights obligations. Canada needs to =
once again=20
        embark on a large-scale building of social housing units across =
the=20
        country."</P></BLOCKQUOTE>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>That necessitates provincial participation.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>3. People are protesting the =
poverty.</STRONG>=20
      The largest anti-poverty march and demonstration in over ten years =
took=20
      place last September and ended at Queen=92s Park. Over 100 =
organization and=20
      social movements joined this coalition calling for specific =
policies to=20
      address poverty. Communities are organizing to send you a very big =
message=20
      that they want specific measures now, to minimize poverty. Such as =
a $10=20
      minimum wage now, such as money for affordable housing, such as =
increases=20
      to social assistance that make a real dent in horrid living =
circumstances=20
      and will allow people to not go hungry.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>4. Media are tracking the =
issue.</STRONG>=20
      Unprecedented media interest, analysis and persistence ranging =
from the=20
      Toronto Star to the Kingston Whig Standard to the recent article =
on=20
      poverty and immigrants in the Windsor Star means the issue is =
being=20
      tracked and the work of the Cabinet Committee on Poverty Reduction =
will be=20
      scrutinized. I believe the media will not let this go.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>5. Volunteers and the faith based =
charity=20
      sector</STRONG> are beginning to realize that it should not be =
their role=20
      to provide the main staffing energies and funds for endeavours =
that are=20
      life-sustaining such as church basement emergency shelters that =
for the=20
      most part, by their very nature, cannot even meet the UN Standards =
for=20
      Refugee Camps. They are increasingly calling on your government to =
address=20
      the issues.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>6. Last year=92s budget left many =
wanting.</STRONG>=20
      It is pretty clear that last year=92s budget increases to social =
assistance=20
      rates and minimum wage have not made a dent in poverty. Certainly =
the lack=20
      of housing money speaks for itself and sadly this past year we =
have=20
      witnessed a further deterioration in public housing and older =
social=20
      housing buildings including advancing mould, water damage, =
infestations=20
      which have included massive bed bug spread and sadly, fires that =
have=20
      taken several lives =96 both in municipal social housing and in =
empty=20
      buildings used as squats.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>7. The hidden nature of families with=20
      children.</STRONG> This will be the year that homeless families =
and=20
      children, and those on the risk of homelessness will take charge =
and speak=20
      out. It is no accident that the atrocious conditions of homeless =
families,=20
      shoved into scummy motels in communities like Sarnia is being =
exposed. It=20
      is no accident that communities, driven by homeless crisis =
management=20
      issues, are now realizing that they have growing numbers of =
homeless=20
      families, no shelters for them and certainly no affordable housing =
being=20
      built for them.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>=93A right delayed is a right =
denied.=94 =96 said=20
      Martin Luther King.</STRONG></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>I urge you to not <STRONG>delay</STRONG> making =
decisions=20
      that will respect the human rights needs here in Ontario. The =
right to=20
      shelter, housing, adequate income and food. Your decisions will =
involve=20
      spending.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>This afternoon you will hear some =
specifics from=20
      Michael Shapcott which I support. He will call for you to =
introduce in the=20
      budget:</STRONG></P>
      <BLOCKQUOTE>
        <P class=3Dstyle19>=95 $1.9 billion in new housing funding:</P>
        <P class=3Dstyle19>=95 $600 million to upload housing back to =
the provincial=20
        level where it belongs;</P>
        <P class=3Dstyle19>=95 $220 million for 45,000 rent =
supplements;</P>
        <P class=3Dstyle19>=95 $830 million for capital grants for 8,300 =
new truly=20
        affordable homes;</P>
        <P class=3Dstyle19>=95 $260 million for a social housing =
rehabilitation=20
        fund.</P></BLOCKQUOTE>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>Recession - can poor people survive a =
major=20
      storm!</STRONG></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Everyone is now warning of a recession. An =
economic=20
      disaster that will hit our communities that are seriously =
compromised=20
      since the 1980s =96 left without adequate social infrastructure! =
Our message=20
      is more urgent than ever. Ontarians will be left in a recession =
without=20
      jobs, without housing, without income, without adequate shelter. =
We must=20
      protect people. It more important than ever before.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>We need a new deal. A new deal that will create =

      construction jobs and create housing.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>This is not the time for unnecessary research. =
It is time=20
      to act.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Make it known that you believe Ontarians have =
the right=20
      to safe, affordable housing, the right to food security and to =
sustain=20
      themselves and their family.<BR></P>
      <P class=3D"style19 style22"><STRONG><BR><BR>3. Cross border=20
      trafficking</STRONG></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Canadian snowbirds are apparently also flying =
south to=20
      learn. I recently met several people who told me they were heading =
to=20
      Florida for a =91homelessness conference=92. <EM>(Note - seasonal =
temperatures=20
      are 74-76 Fahrenheit or 23-25 Celsius). Washington and New York =
are other=20
      =91hot=92 destinations for =91homeless=92 conference =
goers.</EM></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Meanwhile, Philip Mangano, America=92s =
so-called =91Homeless=20
      Czar=92 crossed north over the US-Canada border this week to help =
Edmonton,=20
      Alberta Mayor Stephen Mandel and the Edmonton Committee to End=20
      Homelessness reach the goal of ending homelessness in 10 years.=20
      <EM>(Edmonton temperatures will range from -20 to -25 Celsius =
during his=20
      visit).</EM></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>According to the Edmonton SUN, Mr. Mangano is =
convinced=20
      Edmonton can wipe out homelessness within a decade. He =
acknowledges that=20
      most American cities that have made similar commitments have yet =
to be=20
      successful. As I=92m writing this I=92m thinking I should write a =
comedy=20
      script for the Rick Mercer Report. (Note =96 for my American =
readers imagine=20
      Stephen Colbert making fun of a Canada that lets Americans in to =
tell us=20
      what to do =96 create free trade, make deep cuts to social =
services then=20
      privatize services, send troops to Afghanistan, end homelessness =
without=20
      building affordable housing, etc.)</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>I continue to be amazed that Canadians regard =
the=20
      American experience as wise, expert or informed when it comes to =
      to homelessness and the affordable housing crisis. A visit to any =
major=20
      American city will illustrate the ongoing crisis. Look at =
America=92s=20
      response to Katrina victims - many remain homeless today. The =
recent US=20
      subprime and foreclosure crisis is now lurching thousands more =
Americans=20
      into homelessness. My American colleague William Tinker from the =
New=20
      Hampshire Homeless Coalition sends me at least three US headlines =
daily=20
      that scream social disaster.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Here are just a few January 2008 examples:</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19><STRONG>=93Soup kitchen's numbers grow=94 - =
Home News=20
      Tribune, New Jersey</STRONG></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle25>=93News you can use: number of households on =
food stamps=20
      doubles since 2000=94 - Ap/Chicago Tribune</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle25>=93Many homeless die before old age. The =
average age was=20
      48=94 =96 KABC, Los Angeles</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle25>=93Cities crack down on panhandlers=94 - United =
Press=20
      International. UPI, New York</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle25>=93Less aid, less food - MORE NEEDY: =
Cash-hungry food banks=20
      try to cope as growing numbers enter the ranks of near homeless=94 =
- The=20
      Patriot Ledger, Boston</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Mr. Mangano=92s visit to Edmonton ironically =
comes one=20
      month after the U.S. Conference of Mayors released its <A=20
      href=3D"http://usmayors.org/HHSurvey2007/hhsurvey07.pdf">2007 =
Hunger and=20
      Homelessness report </A>in Washington, D.C. The report noted =
growing food=20
      insecurity and homelessness across the United States. </P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Evidence in the U.S. Mayor=92s report includes: =
an increase=20
      in homeless families with children entering emergency shelters and =
staying=20
      an average of 5.7 months; the most common cause of families with =
children=20
      becoming homeless was the lack of affordable housing; twelve =
cities=20
      reported being unable to meet homeless persons shelter needs and =
numerous=20
      cities turned people away from shelter some or all of the time. =
Several=20
      cities including Des Moines (Iowa), Detroit (Michigan), St. Paul=20
      (Minnesota), Trenton (New Jersey) all reported growing hunger and=20
      homelessness despite the introduction of ten-year plans.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>For more background on Mr. Mangano see: <A=20
      =
href=3D"http://tdrc.net/index.php?page=3D35---spring-2007">http://tdrc.ne=
t/index.php?page=3D35---spring-2007</A></P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>For made in Canada solutions to homelessness, =
just look=20
      around in your neighbourhood to see what was built and funded =
before the=20
      federal government cancelled our national housing program in 1993. =
As our=20
      team of international scientists discovered in =93Breaking News=94 =
at the top=20
      of this newsletter and the only way that I know how to end the =
homeless=20
      crisis is to build and maintain truly affordable housing. The =
solution to=20
      the homeless problem really is that simple and we don=92t need Mr. =
Mangano=20
      to tell us otherwise. </P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Cathy</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>Thanks to Dave Meslin for layout and design, =
Bob Crocker=20
      for editing and international correspondent Jon Alexander for =
=91Breaking=20
      News=92.</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19 align=3Djustify>*****</P>
      <P class=3Dstyle19>There is no charge for this newsletter. Please =
forward it=20
      to your friends and others who you think may be interested in it. =
I value=20
      your feedback and ideas. Please share them with me at <A=20
      =
href=3D"mailto:ccrowe@sherbourne.on.ca">ccrowe@sherbourne.on.ca</A> =
&nbsp;or=20
      c/o the Sherbourne Health Centre, 333 Sherbourne Street, Toronto, =
ON, M5A=20
      2S5.</P></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE id=3Dtable1 height=3D38 cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 =
width=3D631 border=3D0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD vAlign=3Dtop height=3D38>&nbsp; =
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0207_01C86A88.3CFB2E50--