[Hpn] In NH We Question The Counting Of Homeless Heads For What Purpose?

HomesOnWheels@aol.com HomesOnWheels@aol.com
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 17:04:48 EST

-------------------------------1202508288

=20
In a message dated 2/8/2008 9:11:11 AM Pacific Standard Time, =20
wtinker@verizon.net writes:

Counting in the cities
In Oklahoma City, _Dan  Straughan_=20
(http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=3D1&CANONICAL=3DDan+Straughan&CATEGORY=3DPE=
RSON) , director of the Homeless Alliance, used a=20
police helicopter to  find homeless camp sites across the metro areas.=20
_Straughan_=20
(http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=3D1&CANONICAL=3DDan+Straughan&CATEGORY=3DPE=
RSON)   said shelter populations seemed steady the day the survey was taken,=
=20
which was  a cold blustery day.=20

and then:
=20
"I've had people bringing me coats, shoes and clothes,=E2=80=9D he said. "I=20=
have to =20
take it to the organizations every day just to be able to get around in my =20
office. People are starting to be aware. That's our community plan. That's w=
hat =20
we're here for. To be a consortium of care, where people can come together=20
and  bring resources to people in need.=E2=80=9D
****************************************************************************=
**
I respond:
=20
Surveying human beings from helicopters to get a herd count. Hmm...sounds a=20=
=20
lot like counting livestock on a ranch, or hunting wolves from aircraft.  Th=
ey=20
can't get away or hide. Scary stuff...and yet, we just accept this as OK =20
because it's "for their own good".
=20
Yes, how warm and fuzzy that Jervis Jackson runs down to "the  organizations=
"=20
to give them all the things accumulating in his office, as  opposed to=20
putting them in the local free clothes pile or giving them away  himself. Th=
at way,=20
he keeps that "consortium of care" going and helps the  poverty pimps in the=
ir=20
tracking and moneymaking efforts by forcing homeless  people to go to them t=
o=20
beg for a warm coat or decent clothing.Then they can be  forced into a=20
program in order to be allowed to get a coat or a pair of shoes,  or at the=20=
very=20
least, tagged for future focus.=20
=20
Nice touch.
=20
Notice that all these programs have something in common....besides very =20
well-paid people running them?=20
=20
They all have to do a head count in order to have numbers of warm bodies to=20=
=20
present to funding sources at grant-grabbing time, and also to the =20
municipalities to show that they are keeping the human dirt swept up and out=
 of  sight.=20
As long as the local Chamber of Commerce, City Hall, Tourist  Commission, an=
d=20
the Neighborhood Busybodies are happy, all is well and  good.
=20
Another feature is the clever way all other options traditionally available=20=
=20
to the homeless and poor are carefully shut off, so they are herded through=20
the  appropriate chutes into the approved corrals for capture, counting, ear=
=20
tagging  and tracking.=20
=20
Program providers get together with municipal givernments and police  to mak=
e=20
sure nobody is self-sheltering in tents or vehicles (thereby depriving =20
landlords of rent and poverty pimps of income, neither which are acceptable)=
, =20
nobody is allowed to go to the local employment office to look for day labor=
, =20
nobody is allowed to move freely, sit on a sidewalk, lie down on a park benc=
h, =20
panhandle, play music for spare change or any other possible method of =20
self-care.
=20
The goal is to A: get homeless and poor people out of sight and B: find a =20
way to make money from the process.
=20
And these programs, services, continuum-of-care folks, municipal =20
governments, police, neighborhood improvement groups, tourist commissions, =20=
stakeholder=20
and visioning committees, homeless task forces, ad nauseum have  gotten VERY=
=20
VERY good at what they do, and as is mentioned in the article, they  get bet=
ter=20
at it each year.
=20
So that is why the need for the head count.=20
=20
Anyone who thinks it's because these people love homeless and poor people =20
and want to help them to be independent and prosperous had better guess  aga=
in,=20
because nothing could be further from the truth.
=20
Clu
Founding Mother
Homes On Wheels
Santa Babylon, CA.
=20

**************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.    =20
(http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=3Daolcmp00300=
0000025
48)

-------------------------------1202508288

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16587" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 2/8/2008 9:11:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,=20
wtinker@verizon.net writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"><=
FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" face=3DVerdana color=3D#000000 siz=
e=3D2>
  <DIV class=3Dsubhead>Counting in the cities</DIV>In Oklahoma City, <A=20
  title=3Dhttp://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=3D1&amp;CANONICAL=3DDan+Straughan&=
amp;CATEGORY=3DPERSON=20
  href=3D"http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=3D1&amp;CANONICAL=3DDan+Straughan&=
amp;CATEGORY=3DPERSON">Dan=20
  Straughan</A>, director of the Homeless Alliance, used a police helicopter=
 to=20
  find homeless camp sites across the metro areas. <A=20
  title=3Dhttp://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=3D1&amp;CANONICAL=3DDan+Straughan&=
amp;CATEGORY=3DPERSON=20
  href=3D"http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=3D1&amp;CANONICAL=3DDan+Straughan&=
amp;CATEGORY=3DPERSON">Straughan</A>=20
  said shelter populations seemed steady the day the survey was taken, which=
 was=20
  a cold blustery day. </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>and then:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"I've had people bringing me coats, shoes and clothes,=E2=80=9D he said=
. "I have to=20
take it to the organizations every day just to be able to get around in my=20
office. People are starting to be aware. That's our community plan. That's w=
hat=20
we're here for. To be a consortium of care, where people can come together a=
nd=20
bring resources to people in need.=E2=80=9D</DIV>
<DIV>***********************************************************************=
*****************************************************</DIV>
<DIV>I respond:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Surveying human beings from helicopters to get a herd count. Hmm...soun=
ds a=20
lot like counting&nbsp;livestock on a ranch, or hunting wolves from aircraft=
.=20
They can't get away or hide. Scary stuff...and yet, we just accept this as O=
K=20
because it's "for their own good".</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Yes, how warm and fuzzy that Jervis Jackson runs down to "the=20
organizations" to give them all the things accumulating in his office, as=20
opposed to putting them in the local free clothes pile or giving them away=20
himself. That way, he keeps that "consortium of care" going and helps the=20
poverty pimps in their tracking and moneymaking efforts by forcing homeless=20
people to go to them to beg for a warm coat or decent clothing.Then they can=
 be=20
forced into a program in order to be allowed to get a coat or a pair of shoe=
s,=20
or at the very least, tagged for future focus. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Nice touch.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Notice that all these programs have something in common....besides very=
=20
well-paid people running them? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>They all have to do a head count in order to have numbers of warm bodie=
s to=20
present to funding sources at grant-grabbing time, and also to the=20
municipalities to show that they are keeping the human dirt swept up and out=
 of=20
sight. As long as the local Chamber of Commerce, City Hall, Tourist=20
Commission,&nbsp;and the Neighborhood Busybodies are happy, all is well and=20
good.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Another feature is the clever way all other options traditionally avail=
able=20
to the homeless and poor are carefully shut off, so they are herded through=20=
the=20
appropriate chutes into the approved corrals for capture, counting, ear tagg=
ing=20
and tracking. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Program providers&nbsp;get together with municipal givernments and poli=
ce=20
to make sure nobody is self-sheltering in tents or vehicles (thereby deprivi=
ng=20
landlords of rent and poverty pimps of income, neither which are acceptable)=
,=20
nobody is allowed to go to the local employment office to look for day labor=
,=20
nobody is allowed to move freely, sit on a sidewalk, lie down on a park benc=
h,=20
panhandle, play music for spare change or any other possible method of=20
self-care.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The goal is to A: get homeless and poor people out of sight and B: find=
 a=20
way to make money from the process.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And these programs, services, continuum-of-care folks, municipal=20
governments, police, neighborhood improvement groups, tourist commissions,=20
stakeholder and visioning committees, homeless task forces, ad nauseum have=20
gotten VERY VERY good at what they do, and as is mentioned in the article, t=
hey=20
get better at it each year.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So that is why the need for the head count. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Anyone who thinks it's because these people love homeless and poor peop=
le=20
and want to help them to be independent and prosperous&nbsp;had better guess=
=20
again, because nothing could be further from the truth.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Clu</DIV>
<DIV>Founding Mother</DIV>
<DIV>Homes On Wheels</DIV>
<DIV>Santa Babylon, CA.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT><BR><BR><BR><DIV><FONT style=3D"color: black; font:=20=
normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><HR style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 10px">Who's never wo=
n?  <A title=3D"http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCI=
D=3Daolcmp00300000002548" href=3D"http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/neve=
r-won-a-grammy?NCID=3Daolcmp00300000002548" target=3D"_blank">Biggest Grammy=
 Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>