[Hpn] Woman strives to raise awareness of the plight of the poor and homeless

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Tue, 05 Feb 2008 03:07:51 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01C867A4.4B3FF7C0

Woman walks to raise awareness of homelessness, poverty
Woman strives to raise awareness of the plight of the poor and homeless
  By C. Ron Allen=20
  South Florida Sun-Sentinel=20
February 3, 2008=20
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/palmbeach/sfl-flpbdenmark0203p=
sfeb03,0,2000913.story
On Friday and Saturday, motorists and onlookers along State Road A1A may =
see a woman in a well-worn orange running suit waving Old Glory over her =
shoulder and wearing a sign that reads "Kim is walking across America."=20

She is Kim Denmark, a businesswoman from Dayton, Ohio, who is walking to =
the nation's capital on a quest to raise awareness of homelessness and =
poverty in America.=20

Throughout her travels, she has heard the testimonies of thousands of =
welfare recipients, homeless and poor people and promised to take their =
concerns to city and state governments, Congress and, eventually, the =
White House.=20

Her goal is to gather 1 million signatures on a petition that she will =
present to members of Congress - along with her own plan for helping the =
needy - in Washington, D.C., in 2012. The petition asks Congress to =
focus on helping the poor find good jobs, decent wages and health care.=20

She has gathered more than 200,000 signatures and covered 15 states and =
the District of Columbia since leaving her hometown in January 1999. She =
stops in cities and speaks to gatherings where she can.=20

"They laughed at me at the U.N. and at the White House," Denmark, 46, =
said recently, referring to unsuccessful attempts to speak to Congress =
and President Clinton. "I was totally ignored. But I believe that that =
was a test to see if I would go further."

The crusader and her traveling companion, Rebecca Salter, will spend two =
days in Delray Beach where they will attend a rally at 1:30 p.m. =
Saturday. She will continue through Broward County to Miami-Dade County =
and then to New Orleans, along Florida's West Coast.

"It's good that she is doing this," said Shelley Gottsagen, interim =
executive director of the Homeless Coalition of Palm Beach County. =
"Perhaps [this will] increase awareness, which is important. The average =
age of the homeless in Palm Beach County is 9 years old and the need is =
great. I appreciate that she is doing this."

A series of life-transforming events - an undiagnosed illness, a suicide =
plan and a spiritual encounter - triggered Denmark's cross-country walk.

She got a massive stress headache in August 1998 and was sick for 28 =
days. Doctors did not determine the cause of the headache.

The former U.S. Postal Service employee said she then planned to end her =
life, but she fell asleep. Denmark said she had a spiritual experience =
during which God told her to give back to people she had treated poorly =
during her entrepreneurial days as a business owner of a staffing =
company.

"The Lord took me on a journey in my sleep and he let me see where I was =
headed for treating people like dogs. He let me see myself in hell," she =
said, adding that seven years of success had gone to her head. "I became =
very arrogant, self-centered and treated people badly."=20

She said God also showed her that she had never said thank you for what =
she had, and she apologized. The following day, Denmark's headache and =
pain were gone.

On average, Denmark walks 10 to 12 miles each day. Part of her =
visibility comes from her trademark orange outfit, which is covered in =
ink-penned notes of praise by people she's met on her journey. She said =
she often feels too tired and too sore to go on, but encouragement she =
gets along the way helps her continue.

Denmark plans to walk through 49 states - she is not yet sure about =
Hawaii. She said she will meet her 2012 deadline because she will not be =
making many stops in states where the homeless population is small.

So far, she has been through Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, New =
Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Illinois, North =
Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida and the District of =
Columbia.=20

Salter, a businesswoman in Tallahassee, met Denmark at a gathering in =
the state's capital.=20

She follows Denmark in a van, serves as her assistant and makes sure =
Denmark stays well hydrated.While she's received plenty of support along =
the way, Denmark also has encountered rejection.

Government officials have warned her off public housing property. Bigots =
have shouted curses and racist slurs and spit at her.=20

The single mother of four said she is not walking to launch a political =
campaign but to find a safety net for the poor.=20

To reach Denmark, go to www.kimdenmark.org or call 877-546-9255.

C. Ron Allen can be reached at crallen@sun-sentinel.com or 954-385-7917.

William Charles Tinker, Sr.
New Hampshire Homeless
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.
1-603-286-2492
http://www.missingkids.com
http://www.nationalhomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org
newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com

------=_NextPart_000_004E_01C867A4.4B3FF7C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<H1>Woman walks to raise awareness of homelessness, poverty</H1>
<H2>Woman strives to raise awareness of the plight of the poor and =
homeless</H2>
<DIV class=3Dclear></DIV>
<DL class=3Dbyline><SPAN class=3Dstory-byline>By C. Ron =
Allen&nbsp;</SPAN></DL>
<DL class=3Dbyline><SPAN class=3Dstory-byline></SPAN><SPAN=20
  class=3Dstory-titleline>South Florida Sun-Sentinel</SPAN> <SPAN=20
  class=3Dstory-dateline></DL>
<DIV>February 3, 2008</SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV id=3Dmodule-article-tools>
<DIV id=3Dlist-box>
<H4><A=20
href=3D"http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/palmbeach/sfl-flpbdenm=
ark0203psfeb03,0,2000913.story">http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/new=
s/palmbeach/sfl-flpbdenmark0203psfeb03,0,2000913.story</A></H4></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dsponsor-logo-box>
<SCRIPT language=3DJavaScript=20
src=3D"http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/trb.sunsentinel/;ptype=3Ds;slug=3Dsf=
l-flpbdenmark0203psfeb03;rg=3Dur;ref=3Dtopixcom;pos=3D1;sz=3D88x31;tile=3D=
2;ord=3D38707374?"=20
type=3Dtext/javascript></SCRIPT>
On Friday and Saturday, motorists and onlookers along State Road A1A may =
see a=20
woman in a well-worn orange running suit waving Old Glory over her =
shoulder and=20
wearing a sign that reads "Kim is walking across America." <BR><BR>She =
is Kim=20
Denmark, a businesswoman from Dayton, Ohio, who is walking to the =
nation's=20
capital on a quest to raise awareness of homelessness and poverty in =
America.=20
<BR><BR>Throughout her travels, she has heard the testimonies of =
thousands of=20
welfare recipients, homeless and poor people and promised to take their =
concerns=20
to city and state governments, Congress and, eventually, the White =
House.=20
<BR><BR></DIV></DIV>
<DIV class=3Drail><!-- google ads --><!-- END google ads --><!-- topix =
links -->
<DIV class=3Dclearfix></DIV>
<DIV><IFRAME marginWidth=3D0 marginHeight=3D0=20
src=3D"/common/includes/topix.html?pcode=3D6012&amp;url=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fww=
w.sun-sentinel.com%2Fcommunity%2Fnews%2Fpalmbeach%2Fsfl-flpbdenmark0203ps=
feb03%2C0%2C2315912%2Cprint.story%3Flast_modified%3D1%2F31%2F08%206%3A5%3=
A42"=20
frameBorder=3D0 width=3D280 scrolling=3Dno height=3D0 =
allowTransparency></IFRAME></DIV><!-- END topix links --></DIV><!-- END =
rail -->
<P>Her goal is to gather 1 million signatures on a petition that she =
will=20
present to members of Congress =97 along with her own plan for helping =
the needy =97=20
in Washington, D.C., in 2012. The petition asks Congress to focus on =
helping the=20
poor find good jobs, decent wages and health care. <BR><BR>She has =
gathered more=20
than 200,000 signatures and covered 15 states and the District of =
Columbia since=20
leaving her hometown in January 1999. She stops in cities and speaks to=20
gatherings where she can. <BR><BR>"They laughed at me at the U.N. and at =
the=20
White House," Denmark, 46, said recently, referring to unsuccessful =
attempts to=20
speak to Congress and President Clinton. "I was totally ignored. But I =
believe=20
that that was a test to see if I would go further."<BR><BR>The crusader =
and her=20
traveling companion, Rebecca Salter, will spend two days in Delray Beach =
where=20
they will attend a rally at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. She will continue =
through=20
Broward County to Miami-Dade County and then to New Orleans, along =
Florida's=20
West Coast.<BR><BR>"It's good that she is doing this," said Shelley =
Gottsagen,=20
interim executive director of the Homeless Coalition of Palm Beach =
County.=20
"Perhaps [this will] increase awareness, which is important. The average =
age of=20
the homeless in Palm Beach County is 9 years old and the need is great. =
I=20
appreciate that she is doing this."<BR><BR>A series of life-transforming =
events=20
=97 an undiagnosed illness, a suicide plan and a spiritual encounter =97 =
triggered=20
Denmark's cross-country walk.<BR><BR>She got a massive stress headache =
in August=20
1998 and was sick for 28 days. Doctors did not determine the cause of =
the=20
headache.<BR><BR>The former U.S. Postal Service employee said she then =
planned=20
to end her life, but she fell asleep. Denmark said she had a spiritual=20
experience during which God told her to give back to people she had =
treated=20
poorly during her entrepreneurial days as a business owner of a staffing =

company.<BR><BR>"The Lord took me on a journey in my sleep and he let me =
see=20
where I was headed for treating people like dogs. He let me see myself =
in hell,"=20
she said, adding that seven years of success had gone to her head. "I =
became=20
very arrogant, self-centered and treated people badly." <BR><BR>She said =
God=20
also showed her that she had never said thank you for what she had, and =
she=20
apologized. The following day, Denmark's headache and pain were =
gone.<BR><BR>On=20
average, Denmark walks 10 to 12 miles each day. Part of her visibility =
comes=20
from her trademark orange outfit, which is covered in ink-penned notes =
of praise=20
by people she's met on her journey. She said she often feels too tired =
and too=20
sore to go on, but encouragement she gets along the way helps her=20
continue.<BR><BR>Denmark plans to walk through 49 states =97 she is not =
yet sure=20
about Hawaii. She said she will meet her 2012 deadline because she will =
not be=20
making many stops in states where the homeless population is =
small.<BR><BR>So=20
far, she has been through Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, New =
Jersey,=20
Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Illinois, North Carolina, =
South=20
Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida and the District of Columbia.=20
<BR><BR>Salter, a businesswoman in Tallahassee, met Denmark at a =
gathering in=20
the state's capital. <BR><BR>She follows Denmark in a van, serves as her =

assistant and makes sure Denmark stays well hydrated.While she's =
received plenty=20
of support along the way, Denmark also has encountered=20
rejection.<BR><BR>Government officials have warned her off public =
housing=20
property. Bigots have shouted curses and racist slurs and spit at her.=20
<BR><BR><BR><BR>The single mother of four said she is not walking to =
launch a=20
political campaign but to find a safety net for the poor. <BR><BR>To =
reach=20
Denmark, go to <A =
href=3D"http://www.kimdenmark.org/">www.kimdenmark.org</A> or=20
call 877-546-9255.<BR><BR>C. Ron Allen can be reached at <A=20
href=3D"mailto:crallen@sun-sentinel.com">crallen@sun-sentinel.com</A> or =

954-385-7917.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><BR></P>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>William Charles Tinker, Sr.<BR>New =
Hampshire=20
Homeless<BR>Founded 11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street<BR>Northfield,N.H. =
03276-1640=20
USA<BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human=20
rights.<BR>1-603-286-2492<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A><BR><A =

href=3D"http://www.nationalhomeless.org">http://www.nationalhomeless.org<=
/A><BR><A=20