[Hpn] New border rules, few problems

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sat, 02 Feb 2008 04:03:54 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C86550.A0626090

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=3D166380&ac=3DPHnws

New border rules, few problems=20

Despite tighter rules on documents to come into the U.S. from Canada, =
traffic flows smoothly.=20

>From staff and news services February 1, 2008=20

New rules? No problem.

Travelers crossing from Canada into Maine and Vermont on Thursday had =
the documents they needed, making for smooth sailing as new border entry =
requirements took effect.=20

In Calais, where the wait can reach 90 minutes in the summer, City =
Manager Diane Barnes said she was worried about the potential for even =
greater delays as motorists search for two forms of identification.

"Some areas are going to be affected more than others. This is a very =
busy border crossing," Barnes said Thursday.

Problems didn't surface, however.

Pat Kelley said there was no delay when she crossed the border between =
Calais and St. Stephen, New Brunswick, to get to her job at Hardwick =
Country Store.

"It was fine. It wasn't any different than any other day," said Kelley, =
who said it took her less than 15 minutes to get across.

In Jackman, Maine, things were running smoothly as well. "This is a slow =
time of the year, so this is a good thing for us," Port Director Francis =
Lacasse said.

"We haven't really noticed a difference yet," said Jean Ouellette, at =
Martin's Motel in Madawaska. "We have an international snowmobile =
festival here this weekend. That's what's going to tell us a little bit =
more."

Ouellette said she doesn't worry about forgetting her birth certificate =
at home and getting stuck in Canada. "I'm sure they're going to be a =
little more lenient in the beginning. It's a process of getting used to =
it."

The annoyance of needing extra paperwork to cross the border is offset =
by having a more secure border, she said.

Customs and Border Protection spokesman Ted Woo said things were moving =
smoothly at the Pittsburg, N.H., port as well.

"Most people seem to have their passports. There are no delays, no =
problems," Woo said.

There were no visible backups at the Highgate Springs, Vt., port of =
entry, at the top of Interstate 89.

A Montreal couple headed to Boston had their Canadian passports and a =
birth certificate for their 6-month-old baby boy who was strapped in to =
the back seat of their car.

"We knew we needed the passports and all that regulation, which is OK. I =
find that no problem at all," Roger Roy said.

Roy said he always traveled to the United States with his passport.

"I just find it more safe. I have no problem with that at all."

Business leaders and elected officials in Vermont and other border =
states have worried that the new rules would discourage Canadians from =
crossing the border to shop, ski or visit.

Under the new rules, people no longer will be allowed simply to declare =
they are citizens, said Jayson Ahern, deputy commissioner with U.S. =
Customs and Border Protection.

Instead, those 19 and older will have to show proof of citizenship -- a =
passport, a trusted traveler card or a birth certificate and a =
government-issued ID such as a driver's license.

Businesses near the border are worried the new rules -- and the cost of =
getting a passport -- will keep customers away.

"We are right on the border and 50 percent of our guests are Canadian, =
so it's an enormous part of our business," said Bill Stenger, president =
of Jay Peak ski resort, in Jay, Vt.

"I think the concern that most of the business community has, from =
Washington state to the state of Maine, is that the preparedness for =
this was not thorough, that thought was not given to the economic impact =
before implementation and that cost effective alternatives were not in =
place," he said.

William Charles Tinker, Sr.
New Hampshire Homeless
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.
1-603-286-2492
http://www.missingkids.com
http://www.nationalhomeless.org
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org
newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C86550.A0626090

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dhed><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=3D166380&amp;ac=3D=
PHnws">http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=3D166380&amp;ac=3DP=
Hnws</A></FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dhed></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dhed>New border rules, few problems </SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dhed></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Despite tighter rules on documents to come into the U.S. from =
Canada,=20
traffic flows smoothly. </DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV id=3Dstory>
<DIV id=3Dstoryinfo=20
style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; =
BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px"><SPAN=20
class=3Dauthor>From staff and news services</SPAN> <!-- <span =
class=3D"apcredit">&copy; Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights =
reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or =
redistributed.</span>  :ap --><SPAN=20
class=3Ddate>February 1, 2008</SPAN> </DIV><BR clear=3Dall><!-- =
Multimedia nugget --><!-- end Multimedia nugget --><BR clear=3Dall><!-- =
STORY -->
<P>
<P>New rules? No problem.</P>
<P>Travelers crossing from Canada into Maine and Vermont on Thursday had =
the=20
documents they needed, making for smooth sailing as new border entry=20
requirements took effect. </P>
<P>In Calais, where the wait can reach 90 minutes in the summer, City =
Manager=20
Diane Barnes said she was worried about the potential for even greater =
delays as=20
motorists search for two forms of identification.</P>
<P>"Some areas are going to be affected more than others. This is a very =
busy=20
border crossing," Barnes said Thursday.</P>
<P>Problems didn't surface, however.</P>
<P>Pat Kelley said there was no delay when she crossed the border =
between Calais=20
and St. Stephen, New Brunswick, to get to her job at Hardwick Country =
Store.</P>
<P>"It was fine. It wasn't any different than any other day," said =
Kelley, who=20
said it took her less than 15 minutes to get across.</P>
<P>In Jackman, Maine, things were running smoothly as well. "This is a =
slow time=20
of the year, so this is a good thing for us," Port Director Francis =
Lacasse=20
said.</P>
<P>"We haven't really noticed a difference yet," said Jean Ouellette, at =

Martin's Motel in Madawaska. "We have an international snowmobile =
festival here=20
this weekend. That's what's going to tell us a little bit more."</P>
<P>Ouellette said she doesn't worry about forgetting her birth =
certificate at=20
home and getting stuck in Canada. "I'm sure they're going to be a little =
more=20
lenient in the beginning. It's a process of getting used to it."</P>
<P>The annoyance of needing extra paperwork to cross the border is =
offset by=20
having a more secure border, she said.</P>
<P>Customs and Border Protection spokesman Ted Woo said things were =
moving=20
smoothly at the Pittsburg, N.H., port as well.</P>
<P>"Most people seem to have their passports. There are no delays, no =
problems,"=20
Woo said.</P>
<P>There were no visible backups at the Highgate Springs, Vt., port of =
entry, at=20
the top of Interstate 89.</P>
<P>A Montreal couple headed to Boston had their Canadian passports and a =
birth=20
certificate for their 6-month-old baby boy who was strapped in to the =
back seat=20
of their car.</P>
<P>"We knew we needed the passports and all that regulation, which is =
OK. I find=20
that no problem at all," Roger Roy said.</P>
<P>Roy said he always traveled to the United States with his =
passport.</P>
<P>"I just find it more safe. I have no problem with that at all."</P>
<P>Business leaders and elected officials in Vermont and other border =
states=20
have worried that the new rules would discourage Canadians from crossing =
the=20
border to shop, ski or visit.</P>
<P>Under the new rules, people no longer will be allowed simply to =
declare they=20
are citizens, said Jayson Ahern, deputy commissioner with U.S. Customs =
and=20
Border Protection.</P>
<P>Instead, those 19 and older will have to show proof of citizenship -- =
a=20
passport, a trusted traveler card or a birth certificate and a =
government-issued=20
ID such as a driver's license.</P>
<P>Businesses near the border are worried the new rules -- and the cost =
of=20
getting a passport -- will keep customers away.</P>
<P>"We are right on the border and 50 percent of our guests are =
Canadian, so=20
it's an enormous part of our business," said Bill Stenger, president of =
Jay Peak=20
ski resort, in Jay, Vt.</P>
<P>"I think the concern that most of the business community has, from =
Washington=20
state to the state of Maine, is that the preparedness for this was not =
thorough,=20
that thought was not given to the economic impact before implementation =
and that=20
cost effective alternatives were not in place," he said.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>William Charles Tinker, Sr.<BR>New =
Hampshire=20
Homeless<BR>Founded 11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street<BR>Northfield,N.H. =
03276-1640=20
USA<BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human=20
rights.<BR>1-603-286-2492<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A><BR><A =

href=3D"http://www.nationalhomeless.org">http://www.nationalhomeless.org<=
/A><BR><A=20