[Hpn] State Legislators in Budget Negotiations A CALL TO ACTION

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:42:43 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_01D8_01C8A3CE.B8CC8220

FROM THE DESK OF.......................
John Young
Hunger and Homeless Coalition of Citrus County, Inc.
Phone:  1 - 352 - 628 - H E L P

REF:  A CALL TO ACTION

      =20
        State Legislators in Budget Negotiations=20
            Legislators Thursday began negotiations to balance the =
state's anemic budget after the House and Senate announced appointments =
to joint budget conference committees. Budget chairs have reached early =
agreement on a few key elements of the final budget. Lawmakers agreed to =
a seven-day sales tax holiday for the coming year, but it will be for =
clothes only and not books. They also will suspend the hurricane sales =
tax break holiday for the coming year. The Senate agreed not to raise =
school property taxes next year. Additionally, the Senate has agreed to =
divert $270 million from the Department of Transportation (DOT) trust =
fund, and $330 million from a DOT fund generated by taxes on real estate =
transactions. Despite pleas from Gov. Crist, lawmakers have not agreed =
to tap into the Lawton Chiles Endowment to soften the blow of deep cuts =
to health care. The Senate wants to spend $159 million from the fund. =
Legislators also say they do not plan to increase the cigarette tax or =
add a penny sales tax.

            Conference negotiations began with $7.1 billion in general =
revenue appropriated for Health and Human Services. In the House, that =
amount translated into $83 million less than originally proposed. In the =
Senate, it meant a little more. Conference committees are expected to =
meet through Tuesday, April 22, to iron out differences. At that time, =
any unresolved issues will be bumped to House and Senate leadership for =
final negotiation. The legislature is required to pass a balanced state =
budget before session's end on May 2. An extended session is highly =
unlikely.

            TAKE ACTION: Contact legislators and members of the budget =
conference committees now and urge them to protect critical programs for =
children.
            > House Conferees List - House Contacts
            > Senate Conferees List - Senate Contacts

              a.. School Readiness - Thank members and ask them to =
continue to restore funding. A cut larger then $3.7 million will result =
in the forfeiture of federal funds. (TED/Econ. Expansion)=20
              b.. Healthy Start - Support the Senate's lower proposed =
cut. (Health & Human Services/Health Care)=20
              c.. Healthy Families - Restore funding to Healthy =
Families. (Health & Human Services/Health Care)=20
              d.. KidCare - Protect the additional KidCare slots in both =
the House and Senate. (Health & Human Services/Health Care)=20
              e.. VPK provider rates - Hold the House position of $2,677 =
per child (same as this year). (TED/Econ. Expansion)=20
              f.. Community Based Care - Restore funding for foster =
care/children abused and neglected (Health & Human Services/Health Care) =

              g.. Independent Living - Accept the Senate position (no =
cuts) (Health & Human Services/Health Care).=20
              h.. Juvenile Assessment Centers (JACs) - Support the =
Senate's position, which holds most JACs harmless. (Criminal & Civil =
Justice/Safety & Security)=20

            A more complete list of cuts that need to be restored is =
found in the table below.=20

                  ISSUE SENATE HOUSE COMMENT=20
                  School Readiness -$14.5 M -$11 M  =20
                  Healthy Start -$.7 M -$5 M Reduction in Family Health =
(DOH).=20
                  Healthy Families -$3.8 M -$3.9 M 12.5% reduction.=20
                  Early Steps -$3.8 M -$1 M Reduced federal funding =
authority.=20
                  Children's Medical Services -$7.8 M -$11.7 17% =
reduction in GR in House; 11% reduction in GR in Senate.=20
                  Community Based Care -$18.9 M -$18.9 M 4.4% reduction =
plus admin. cuts $5.3M (House/Senate) which will also impact services.=20
                  CW Prepaid Mental Health Plan -$4 M -$4 M  =20
                  Child Protection Investigation -$7 M -$7 M Includes 5% =
reduction to Sheriff's ($2.4 M) and $4 M reduction (71 positions) in =
DCF.=20
                  Independent Living ----- -$7 M 25% reduction in House. =

                  Adoption Maintenance Subsidies -$16.6 M -$16.6 M =
Program is funded at same amount as last year. However, it is running at =
a deficit. With current adoption goals, FCF predicts the program will =
run at a $16.6 M deficit by next year.=20
                  JACS -$3.4 M -$7 M House cuts $3.65 M from high-volume =
JACs in Palm Beach, Pinellas, Broward, Miami-Dade, Hillsborough, and =
Orange counties in addition to low volume JACs. In the Senate only =
low-volume JACs are cut (by $3.4 M) =20
                  CINS/FINS -$1.8 M -$1.8 M  =20
                  Gender Specific -$0.69 M -$0.35 M Reduction in PACE; =
GAP (4 additional locations)=20

          =20
      =20
        Taxation and Budget Reform Commission to Meet Again=20
            With the defeat of the Taxpayer Bill of Rights (TABOR) =
proposal (CP 45) in Monday's Taxation and Budget Reform Commission =
(TBRC) meeting, attention has shifted back to the TBRC's approved "tax =
swap" proposal (CP 02), which eliminates an estimated $9 billion in =
property taxes for schools, and requires the legislature to find other =
ways to replace the revenue by increasing the state sales tax and/or =
repealing many sales tax exemptions. Sen. Mike Haridopolos (R- Brevard) =
has criticized the constitutional amendment proposal, saying it would =
lead to the largest tax increase in state history.=20

            This morning, Sen. Haridopolos held a three-hour public =
hearing on the proposal. School board members, the tourism industry, =
accountants, printers, manufacturers, the agricultural industry, and =
several major business groups testified in opposition to the proposal =
saying it would create uncertainty in the marketplace, and could lead to =
an even more complex and burdensome tax structure for Florida. Sen. =
Haridopolos emphasized that the proposal, if passed, would place Florida =
at a tremendous disadvantage.=20

            The TBRC is scheduled to meet again April 24 and 25 in =
Tallahassee. While the TABOR proposal is not listed on the agenda for =
either day, mounting pressure to "do something" on property taxes, =
combined with waning support for CP 02, could tempt commissioners to =
take another look at passing some form of TABOR. The FCSC will continue =
to monitor this closely.
          =20
      =20
        House Considering Hybrid of Senate Health Plan=20
            Without debate, the Senate unanimously passed Gov. Crist's =
affordable health insurance plan this week. The measure (SB 2534), by =
Sen. Durell Peaden (R- Okaloosa), was referred to the House, which has =
been working on a different proposal -- HB 7081 by the Healthcare =
Council and Rep. Aaron Bean (R- Nassau). On Thursday, the House accepted =
the Senate plan, but with amendments. The House added language that =
would allow insurance companies to come up with other no-frills =
insurance programs that may not cover everything Crist's plan would, and =
wouldn't have as much state oversight. The House also is pushing for =
changes, including placing the state Office of Insurance Regulation in =
charge of regulating insurers participating, and letting families with a =
child in KidCare take that money and buy into private insurance plans =
offered through their employers. Generally, the bill would lift state =
mandates requiring insurers to offer a wide benefit package so they can =
offer stripped-down plans that could cost the insured as little as $150 =
a month. Under the plan, insurers would negotiate with the state and =
offer two types of plans: One with catastrophic coverage and one =
without. Insurers can cap services, limit coverage, require co-pays and =
offer prescription drug coverage.
          =20
      =20
        Children's Health=20
            KidCare
            A number of proposed KidCare bills have stalled in their =
respective committees. With only two weeks left in the Legislative =
Session, the bills must continue to be heard quickly and moved to the =
floor in order for KidCare legislation to survive. Existing bills =
include:=20

              a.. SB 888 by Sen. Mandy Dawson (D-Broward).=20
              b.. HB 1275 by Rep. Loranne Ausley (D-Leon) and companion =
bill, SB 2472 by Sen. Nan Rich (D-Broward).=20
              c.. HB 1457 by Rep. Rene Garcia (R-Miami-Dade) and =
companion bill, SB 2032 by Sen. Mike Fasano (R-Pasco).=20
            TAKE ACTION: Call legislators and urge them to pass a =
KidCare bill that removes enrollment and retention barriers, and creates =
a seamless system to make it easier for eligible children to remain in =
the program and help newly eligible children enroll.=20

            Medicaid
            HB 5085 by Rep. Ray Sansom (R-Okaloosa) and the Policy and =
Budget Council passed the House floor with a vote of 74-41 on Thursday =
last week. The bill passed on the Senate floor Wednesday with a vote of =
26-14. Among several other provisions, the bill provides for the =
expansion of the Medicaid managed care pilot program in 2010 to Hardee, =
Highlands, Hillsborough, Manatee, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Pasco, Pinellas =
and Polk counties. The bill now heads to conference committee with =
members that have been appointed by the House and Senate.

            Childcare
            HB 1271 by Rep. Nick Thompson (R-Lee) was approved by the =
Policy & Budget Council and heard on the House floor. Referred to as the =
"Zahid Jones Give Grandparents and Relatives a Voice Act," the bill =
provides that relatives can request notification of all proceedings and =
hearings regarding a child's care. It gives access to DCF records and =
gives investigator's contact information to a child's treating physician =
within 24 hours of an investigator being assigned. It also establishes =
the first Sunday after Labor Day as "Grandparents and Family Caregivers =
Day" in Florida. Senate version, SB 2644, by Sen. Ronda Storms =
(R-Hillsborough) is in Judiciary.

            Autism
            SB 2654 by Sen. Steve Geller (D-Broward) is on Special Order =
Calendar. The bill, titled "Window of Opportunity Act," requires health =
insurance plans to provide coverage for screening, diagnosis, =
intervention, and treatment of autism spectrum disorders in children. =
The House version, HB 1291 by Rep. Ari Porth (D-Broward), remains in the =
Healthcare Council.
          =20
      =20
        Juvenile Justice=20
            SB 700 by Sen. Victor Crist (R-Hillsborough) awaits review =
in Criminal & Civil Justice Appropriations. The bill includes =
substantive legislation advancing the recommendations of the Blueprint =
Commission. The House version, HB 7087 by Rep. Mitch Needleman =
(R-Brevard) was reported favorably by the Policy & Budget Council on =
Tuesday.

            SB 792 relating to Juvenile Justice by Sen. Carey Baker =
(R-Lake) has been added on the Senate Judiciary Committee agenda for =
April 21. The House companion, HB 273 by Rep. Sandy Adams (R-Seminole) =
had its second reading on the House floor on Wednesday.
          =20
      =20
        Independent Living/Foster Care=20
            Foster Care
            SB 2762 by Sen. Paula Dockery (R-Polk) is now in =
Governmental Operations after being reported favorably as a committee =
substitute by the Judiciary Committee last week.=20

            SB 2750 by Sen. Ronda Storms (R-Hillsborough) awaits review =
in Judiciary Committee. The bill provides conditions for court =
appointment of a surrogate parent for educational decision-making for a =
child who has a disability and provides access to free public education =
for certain children in foster care. Companion bill, HB 769 by Rep. Kurt =
Kelly (R-Marion) was read for the second time on the House floor.

            Adoption
            SB 1084 by Sen. Nan Rich (D-Broward) which revises various =
provisions of the Florida Adoption Act was passed by Criminal and Civil =
Justice Appropriations this week and was placed on the Senate Calendar =
for first reading. House version HB 663 by Rep. Dean Cannon (R-Orange) =
already passed the House floor on April 2.
          =20
      =20
        Other Issues=20
            Children's Zones
            HB 3 by Rep. Dorothy Bendross-Mindingall (D-Miami- Dade) and =
the Healthcare Council passed the House unanimously on Wednesday and was =
sent to the Senate. Companion bill, SB 500 by Sen. Larcenia Bullard =
(D-Monroe), was pulled from committees of reference and is on the agenda =
for Health and Human Services Appropriations.

            Property Tax
            Following the defeat of the highly controversial Taxpayer =
Bill of Rights proposal in the Taxation and Budget Reform Commission =
meeting Monday, a flurry of property tax bills have been moving through =
the House this week.

            HJR 949 by Carlos Lopez-Cantera (R-Miami-Dade) is a =
rendition of House Speaker Marco Rubio's property tax proposal asking =
voters to amend the state Constitution so that all real property =
(residential, commercial, rental) will not exceed 1.35 percent of the =
highest taxable value of a property. The bill passed the Policy & Budget =
Council this week and is on second reading on the House floor. A similar =
bill in the Senate, SJR 2190 by Sen. Mike Bennett (R-Manatee), was =
reported favorably in Community Affairs on April 9. It is now in Finance =
and Tax.

            HJR 7125 is a proposed Constitutional amendment by the =
Policy & Budget Council, Government Efficiency & Accountability Council =
and Rep. Frank Attkisson (R- Osceola) that would give the legislature =
authority to place caps on revenues collected by the state, as well as =
counties, cities, school boards and special districts. The legislature =
also would have authority to determine how excess revenues may be used. =
The bill was approved by the Policy & Budget Council along party lines =
at the end of a marathon session that lasted from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. =
Additionally, the bill revises the current limitation on revenues from a =
growth factor using personal income to a growth factor based on =
population and inflation, plus one percent. The base year is updated to =
FY 2007-08. There is no Senate companion.
          =20
      =20
        Federal News=20
            Congressional Action on Medicaid
            House bill H.R. 5613, titled Protecting the Medicaid Safety =
Net Act of 2008, now has 164 co-sponsors. It went to the House Energy =
and Commerce committee this week following its approval by that =
committee's health subcommittee. Republican members of the subcommittee =
supported it after provisions were added regarding asset verification =
and additional funding for efforts against Medicaid fraud. Rep. Joe =
Barton (R-TX) said he thought the White House would not veto it after =
those measures were added. Rep. Dingell is the committee chairman, a =
sponsor, and likely to gavel the bill through the committee soon. =
Prospects for H.R. 5613 are quite good at this point. The bill seeks to =
preserve critical health care programs and services by extending a =
moratorium on several Medicaid regulations. The regulations are =
estimated to strip $20 billion over five years from the Medicaid =
program.

            Federal bill S. 2819, cited as the Economic Recovery in =
Health Care Act of 2008, was introduced April 3. The Senate Finance =
Committee hasn't held any hearings on it yet, nor have there been any =
subcommittee hearings. There are just 12 cosponsors at this point. =
Unlike the House bill, it contains $12 billion in additional assistance =
to states in 2008-2009, including $6 billion in Medicaid FMAP increases =
for 38 states. Those additional expenditures could be a problem because =
savings must be found in other programs to stay within the budget =
resolution. Sen. Charles Grassley (R-KS), the ranking Republican and =
former chairman of the committee, has expressed comments to the effect =
that he considers a moratorium to be passing the buck and seems at odds =
with chairman Max Baucus (D-MT) who favors the moratorium. The bill =
seeks to preserve access to Medicaid and the SCHIP in times of an =
economic downturn. The act extends moratoriums for seven controversial =
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services rules that would affect states' =
eligibility criteria for SCHIP.

            In other federal news, Dennis Smith, director of CMS' Center =
for Medicaid and State Operations, resigned last week. Smith has been =
criticized for proposing Medicaid regulations that state governors and =
some lawmakers believe will reduce health care funding for low-income =
residents. He also received criticism regarding regulations that limit =
how states may expand coverage under SCHIP.
          =20
      =20
        In Other News=20
            Children's Board Celebrates 20th Anniversary Last night, the =
Children's Board of Hillsborough County (CBHC) celebrated its 20th =
anniversary with a dinner and ceremony to recognize the leaders and =
youth who have contributed to CBHC's success. Board members and =
community leaders gathered to celebrate passage of the 1988 referendum =
that started it all. Congratulations to the CBHC and its community =
partners for working to improve the lives of children and families.

            Hard times put kids at risk, as well as programs to serve =
them
            Read the recent Miami Herald article, which provides a =
substantive report on the impacts of state budget cuts to several =
children's programs. Read article.

            Advocates: Budget cuts would hit abused children, foster =
kids, adoptions
            The Palm Beach Post reports on what child advocates are =
saying about budget cuts to key programs. Read article.

            A Vision for the Reauthorization of Child Care Leading =
advocacy organizations have recently come to agreement on "A Vision for =
the Reauthorization of Child Care." The vision offers a blueprint for =
the reauthorization of the Child Care and Development Block Grant and =
strengthening of the Dependent Care Tax Credit. It focuses on four key =
national agenda items:=20

              a.. Ensuring children and families have access to =
affordable, healthy, safe care=20
              b.. Improving quality to promote early learning=20
              c.. Improving and expanding care for infants and toddlers=20
              d.. Providing needed research and technical assistance=20
            The Vision is supported by the National Association of Child =
Care Resource and Referral Agencies, the National Women's Law Center, =
the Center for Law and Social Policy, the National Association for the =
Education of Young Children, the National Association for Family Child =
Care, the Early Care and Education Consortium, the Children's Project, =
and the National Council of La Raza.=20

            Early Bird Registration for Infant Mental Health Conference =
Extended
            The North Florida Chapter of the Florida Infant Mental =
Health Association and the Florida Association for Infant Mental Health =
are hosting the 8th Annual Conference, titled "Building Our Future" May =
15-16 in Jacksonville. Early Bird Registration has been extended to =
Friday, April 18. With a focus on infant- toddler development and mental =
health, the conference will feature the latest research and best =
practices to enhance social emotional development in infants, toddlers, =
and young children. For more information visit the Infant Mental Health =
web site.
          =20
    =20

------=_NextPart_000_01D8_01C8A3CE.B8CC8220

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" color=3D#008000 =
size=3D4><STRONG><EM>FROM THE DESK=20
OF.......................</EM></STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" color=3D#008000 =
size=3D4>John=20
Young</FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" color=3D#008000 =
size=3D4>Hunger and=20
Homeless Coalition of Citrus County, Inc.</FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" color=3D#008000 =
size=3D4>Phone:&nbsp; 1=20
- 352 - 628 - H E L P</FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" color=3D#008000=20
size=3D4></FONT></EM></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><EM><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" color=3D#008000 =
size=3D4>REF:&nbsp;=20
<U><FONT color=3D#ff0000>A CALL TO =
ACTION</FONT></U></FONT></EM></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><EM><U><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" color=3D#ff0000=20
size=3D4></FONT></U></EM></STRONG><STRONG><EM><U><FONT face=3D"Comic =
Sans MS"=20
color=3D#ff0000 size=3D4></FONT></U></EM></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<TABLE style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=3D0 =
cellPadding=3D5=20
width=3D"100%" bgColor=3D#ffffff border=3D0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD align=3Dleft><FONT=20
      style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"=20
      face=3DVerdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2><FONT=20
      style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; =
FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"=20
      face=3D"Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
color=3D#000000=20
      size=3D2></FONT></FONT></TD>
    <TD style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3399cc" =
bgColor=3D#3399cc>&nbsp;</TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3399cc" =
bgColor=3D#3399cc>&nbsp;</TD>
    <TD style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffcc" bgColor=3D#ffffcc>
      <DIV>
      <TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D5 border=3D0>
        <TBODY>
        <TR>
          <TD vAlign=3Dcenter align=3Dleft width=3D"100%"><FONT=20
            style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"=20
            face=3DVerdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif =
color=3D#000000=20
            size=3D2><FONT=20
            style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; =
FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"=20
            face=3D"Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
color=3D#000000=20
            size=3D2><FONT=20
            style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #000000; =
FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"=20
            face=3DVerdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif =
color=3D#000000=20
            size=3D3>State Legislators in Budget =
Negotiations</FONT></FONT>=20
            <P><FONT=20
            style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: =
#000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"=20
            face=3DVerdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif =
color=3D#000000=20
            size=3D2>Legislators Thursday began negotiations to balance =
the=20
            state's anemic budget after the House and Senate announced=20
            appointments to joint budget conference committees. Budget =
chairs=20
            have reached early agreement on a few key elements of the =
final=20
            budget. Lawmakers agreed to a seven-day sales tax holiday =
for the=20
            coming year, but it will be for clothes only and not books. =
They=20
            also will suspend the hurricane sales tax break holiday for =
the=20
            coming year. The Senate agreed not to raise school property =
taxes=20
            next year. Additionally, the Senate has agreed to divert =
$270=20
            million from the Department of Transportation (DOT) trust =
fund, and=20
            $330 million from a DOT fund generated by taxes on real =
estate=20
            transactions. Despite pleas from Gov. Crist, lawmakers have =
not=20
            agreed to tap into the Lawton Chiles Endowment to soften the =
blow of=20
            deep cuts to health care. The Senate wants to spend $159 =
million=20
            from the fund. Legislators also say they do not plan to =
increase the=20
            cigarette tax or add a penny sales tax.<BR><BR>Conference=20
            negotiations began with $7.1 billion in general revenue =
appropriated=20
            for Health and Human Services. In the House, that amount =
translated=20
            into $83 million less than originally proposed. In the =
Senate, it=20
            meant a little more. Conference committees are expected to =
meet=20
            through Tuesday, April 22, to iron out differences. At that =
time,=20
            any unresolved issues will be bumped to House and Senate =
leadership=20
            for final negotiation. The legislature is required to pass a =

            balanced state budget before session's end on May 2. An =
extended=20
            session is highly unlikely.</FONT></P>
            <P><FONT=20
            style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: =
#000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: =
Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"=20
            face=3DVerdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif =
color=3D#000000=20
            size=3D2>TAKE ACTION: Contact legislators and members of the =
budget=20
            conference committees now and urge them to protect critical =
programs=20
            for children.<BR><B>&gt; <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCyKkepAPdig4E3jRK3TzBHSJTvB=
lAKrSAAEu-c3toIh-h_BQanGgBqESs6vvMLxxZGTmYaSd9t3pEMoyFxrVjTCFxeGpi8estBRP=
KXfeCJLltixvfliika4imHKF8GUF0xPM9Uvxii_MStXKfeCy7mJqTUHtddkGltAWC5mXsP6KU=
dnvV2FZXlEozGqvKJLE6C4Fu-Pp20gUhkPqJtp6euK4MOVYSiba-SC8AVZoJLsWrcPeVmIfNv=
3">House=20
            Conferees List</A> - <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCw4_U0L1z3LYyTPs_wDA2iiNLJY=
djhG8RDXSw1MZx2gQLT2ANeqvy2E-5j2lSJMu_skkQnyJDMvpRwV7tDbWnPUyo9feetNStGjW=
6RxCZDEhe7D2jojSgbdgTCgtp2d4XBibV6EpSf2xk__cV-iC297jTCpsJGpOpiS6qfqNEPhSB=
y3D-U6pPJH">House=20
            Contacts</A><BR>&gt; <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCzhBi3W94X_J-u2a25cRXpwMlMF=
LZsa2VkAPHJjUbw_wryR2etY4JO6DqdloRom1ojOACXya595ARWE14BC8Fy_HnO7FM05Qlq2h=
lUHJsK8hzC027uBujNdUmrU15rsQbr6fT7QjDz4O5Lk63C2eU4GHWkU3cj2BQoqZEO0ObXKb4=
rw8Ni96uCdNeOlyERLoOLw15gQMFg_18YjSbTq8Ig9sxRG1g_z9rU=3D">Senate=20
            Conferees List</A> - <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCzFMi4U1_wghrSGw8l3KpxdZiPw=
uznLZGv4gOfjF6x-gJZbM2y7FnSXfGnXJdHneGy4dJYgyiblScRop1nZgE2ICSEZcXRLzAnMt=
WKxmwimhUzJoEvOXl8I8KXwsKAmAUAfRc0Kqn-XA_w3YkM9VM5OiEAx_J4eLSqzWLpCezuZcZ=
PILKOabueTRUv3pGg3X0nwHWOstgUvIBDqpHAS55wv">Senate=20
            Contacts</A></B><BR></FONT></P>
            <P>
            <UL>
              <LI><B>School Readiness</B> - Thank members and ask them =
to=20
              continue to restore funding. A cut larger then $3.7 =
million will=20
              result in the forfeiture of federal funds. (TED/Econ. =
Expansion)=20
              <LI><B>Healthy Start</B> - Support the Senate's lower =
proposed=20
              cut. (Health &amp; Human Services/Health Care)=20
              <LI><B>Healthy Families</B> - Restore funding to Healthy =
Families.=20
              (Health &amp; Human Services/Health Care)=20
              <LI><B>KidCare</B> - Protect the additional KidCare slots =
in both=20
              the House and Senate. (Health &amp; Human Services/Health =
Care)=20
              <LI><B>VPK provider rates</B> - Hold the House position of =
$2,677=20
              per child (same as this year). (TED/Econ. Expansion)=20
              <LI><B>Community Based Care</B> - Restore funding for =
foster=20
              care/children abused and neglected (Health &amp; Human=20
              Services/Health Care)=20
              <LI><B>Independent Living</B> - Accept the Senate position =
(no=20
              cuts) (Health &amp; Human Services/Health Care).=20
              <LI><B>Juvenile Assessment Centers (JACs)</B> - Support =
the=20
              Senate's position, which holds most JACs harmless. =
(Criminal &amp;=20
              Civil Justice/Safety &amp; Security) </LI></UL><BR><BR>A =
more=20
            complete list of cuts that need to be restored is found in =
the table=20
            below.=20
            <P></P>
            <P>
            <TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D2 border=3D1>
              <TBODY>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"=20
                size=3D2><B>ISSUE</B></FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"=20
                size=3D2><B>SENATE</B></FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"=20
                size=3D2><B>HOUSE</B></FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"=20
                  size=3D2><B>COMMENT</B></FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>School=20
                  Readiness</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$14.5 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$11 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica,&#13;&#10;sans-serif"=20
                  size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>Healthy =

                Start</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$.7 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$5 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
size=3D2>Reduction in Family=20
                  Health (DOH).</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>Healthy =

                  Families</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$3.8 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$3.9 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>12.5%=20
                  reduction.</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>Early=20
                Steps</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$3.8 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$1 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>Reduced =
federal=20
                  funding authority.</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
size=3D2>Children's Medical=20
                  Services</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$7.8 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
size=3D2>-$11.7</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>17% =
reduction in GR=20
                  in House; 11% reduction in GR in =
Senate.</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
size=3D2>Community Based=20
                  Care</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$18.9 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$18.9 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>4.4% =
reduction plus=20
                  admin. cuts $5.3M (House/Senate) which will also =
impact=20
                  services.</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>CW =
Prepaid Mental=20
                  Health Plan</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$4 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$4 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica,&#13;&#10;sans-serif"=20
                  size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>Child =
Protection=20
                  Investigation</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$7 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$7 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
size=3D2>Includes 5%=20
                  reduction to Sheriff's ($2.4 M) and $4 M reduction (71 =

                  positions) in DCF.</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
size=3D2>Independent=20
                  Living</FONT></TD>
size=3D2>-----</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$7 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>25% =
reduction in=20
                  House.</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
size=3D2>Adoption=20
                  Maintenance Subsidies</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$16.6 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$16.6 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>Program =
is funded=20
                  at same amount as last year. However, it is running at =
a=20
                  deficit. With current adoption goals, FCF predicts the =
program=20
                  will run at a $16.6 M deficit by next =
year.</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
size=3D2>JACS</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$3.4 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$7 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>House =
cuts $3.65 M=20
                  from high-volume JACs in Palm Beach, Pinellas, =
Broward,=20
                  Miami-Dade, Hillsborough, and Orange counties in =
addition to=20
                  low volume JACs. In the Senate only low-volume JACs =
are cut=20
                  (by $3.4 M) </FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
size=3D2>CINS/FINS</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$1.8 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$1.8 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica,&#13;&#10;sans-serif"=20
                  size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></TD></TR>
              <TR>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D180><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>Gender=20
                  Specific</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D100><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$0.69 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D90><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D2>-$0.35 =
M</FONT></TD>
                <TD vAlign=3Dtop width=3D192><FONT=20
                  face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" =
size=3D2>Reduction in PACE;=20
                  GAP (4 additional=20
            =
locations)</FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY><=
/TABLE></DIV></TD>
    <TD style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3399cc" =
bgColor=3D#3399cc>&nbsp;</TD></TR>
  <TR>
    <TD style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3399cc" =
bgColor=3D#3399cc>&nbsp;</TD>
    <TD style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" bgColor=3D#ffff99>
[...]
            size=3D3>Taxation and Budget Reform Commission to Meet=20
            Again</FONT></FONT>=20
            <P>With the defeat of the Taxpayer Bill of Rights (TABOR) =
proposal=20
            (<A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCxDbS1nCL0Xy5xg_PyYRAJF5Yea=
h_lQ_FR1vJOOs4smrJn248oHWkYYTH5u3o7bgsWSsTxpzXo_3_pCTKW4z41r5lp5nUicRXiGj=
WfDlwdaCxm0E2brer0bW1XCCcPJFaQ=3D">CP=20
            45</A>) in Monday's Taxation and Budget Reform Commission =
(TBRC)=20
            meeting, attention has shifted back to the TBRC's approved =
"tax=20
            swap" proposal (<A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCxTsgpXczR8V-dZFJ8wWz2BrN7m=
ObY1Z4pK3d7WD62Mzet7XfTf_xcRHDg8qPv3SUTn5vtT4LetKvGr1ll67UEDy3YVPojx4ZzVL=
kPffWN2Ll4qj1fqEPemd4QRjldfbTs=3D">CP=20
            02</A>), which eliminates an estimated $9 billion in =
property taxes=20
            for schools, and requires the legislature to find other ways =
to=20
            replace the revenue by increasing the state sales tax and/or =

            repealing many sales tax exemptions. Sen. Mike Haridopolos =
(R-=20
            Brevard) has criticized the constitutional amendment =
proposal,=20
            saying it would lead to the largest tax increase in state =
history.=20
            <BR><BR>This morning, Sen. Haridopolos held a three-hour =
public=20
            hearing on the proposal. School board members, the tourism =
industry,=20
            accountants, printers, manufacturers, the agricultural =
industry, and=20
            several major business groups testified in opposition to the =

            proposal saying it would create uncertainty in the =
marketplace, and=20
            could lead to an even more complex and burdensome tax =
structure for=20
            Florida. Sen. Haridopolos emphasized that the proposal, if =
passed,=20
            would place Florida at a tremendous disadvantage. =
<BR><BR>The TBRC=20
            is scheduled to meet again April 24 and 25 in Tallahassee. =
While the=20
            TABOR proposal is not listed on the agenda for either day, =
mounting=20
            pressure to "do something" on property taxes, combined with =
waning=20
            support for CP 02, could tempt commissioners to take another =
look at=20
            passing some form of TABOR. The FCSC will continue to =
monitor this=20
            closely.</P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD>
[...]
            size=3D3>House Considering Hybrid of Senate Health =
Plan</FONT></FONT>=20
            <P>Without debate, the Senate unanimously passed Gov. =
Crist's=20
            affordable health insurance plan this week. The measure (<A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCyrGjx-R_MsJADmIeNUeC77xc6H=
BFSgWet4nAf0drfyQflbjsfL87ltHn5Z7G5aZAkrNcd2AL_-CsltYSd47NCKZPFTwlJ1i3OHT=
8r_z5HWhTWNkbFdfRGoGivPMemk50bIvDFDKOJY4MmkUZ5HqFt-a6YP7WnUI3XttEsiuugBD9=
ErgPFY30A-0ENKmz3sNh6JuGoBNUYdKjpfbSEKz2GFYOfq3ETrsBmxGLeRsXNTB6zrEdAkFUs=
Z">SB=20
            2534</A>), by Sen. Durell Peaden (R- Okaloosa), was referred =
to the=20
            House, which has been working on a different proposal -- <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCxpix6iya0JjG74KRJbnvz42TX4=
YxnYFGjYSfxUdY_fElx0-wR1j6uG2XIx1b-ynjldyFIq5BCWIqiOv-r42mLdvAnIfPHlLXMel=
KTvpPAw8ouyF-HsJx3muW873QN6L6ACl72gFDi8ACh7-urR8hi0SKYfaJ3StOz9hcHmtcg2CX=
wybLvzIzHx9vwXXntclzXa6HXm-tCMZA=3D=3D">HB=20
            7081</A> by the Healthcare Council and Rep. Aaron Bean (R- =
Nassau).=20
            On Thursday, the House accepted the Senate plan, but with=20
            amendments. The House added language that would allow =
insurance=20
            companies to come up with other no-frills insurance programs =
that=20
            may not cover everything Crist's plan would, and wouldn't =
have as=20
            much state oversight. The House also is pushing for changes, =

            including placing the state Office of Insurance Regulation =
in charge=20
            of regulating insurers participating, and letting families =
with a=20
            child in KidCare take that money and buy into private =
insurance=20
            plans offered through their employers. Generally, the bill =
would=20
            lift state mandates requiring insurers to offer a wide =
benefit=20
            package so they can offer stripped-down plans that could =
cost the=20
            insured as little as $150 a month. Under the plan, insurers =
would=20
            negotiate with the state and offer two types of plans: One =
with=20
            catastrophic coverage and one without. Insurers can cap =
services,=20
            limit coverage, require co-pays and offer prescription drug=20
            coverage.</P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD>
[...]
            size=3D3>Children's Health</FONT></FONT>=20
            <P><B>KidCare</B><BR>A number of proposed KidCare bills have =
stalled=20
            in their respective committees. With only two weeks left in =
the=20
            Legislative Session, the bills must continue to be heard =
quickly and=20
            moved to the floor in order for KidCare legislation to =
survive.=20
            Existing bills include:=20
            <UL>
              <LI><A=20
              =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCxl73UHnMgHxH17T68eVEENwzoZ=
AZ1PQFPAqNFcfRccftxZySnxzb88MR_XEk-vUezn5wcE1XJTvdBPc3zWi5yOyeEqClHkcfLah=
VHtPiwLtZqzeDiHxb1WJkppXvhMApwiVYS-c03eWzl6QwOHQIgACMdUU-VaLNEcNSetYZMqXc=
ab5bPiISSBd031rF4BEaZO-vVWekWCljOX87VEDKjP8z21J7NjH9cnWpCFJ80L0mSEL9cqXoo=
u">SB=20
              888</A> by Sen. Mandy Dawson (D-Broward).=20
              <LI><A=20
              =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCyT1VABYAOfQ1UMVhCQn0Z1VabR=
3gSasfZBlVSeGUxAhiRxTnb_cxUdBqQ5j1ONscm3SIIuYStmmY55jreeX66qPWObcfvWBwVuW=
gNhUO7flDQnE5HFYCAaTobjX-ZJXHUWjBXpMHP51y9D45-Biv8q82u67mo59XvMFzkMeH62bF=
JMjcwTyP0LAyjk5N_JEh2wpapE8BZyfw=3D=3D">HB=20
              1275</A> by Rep. Loranne Ausley (D-Leon) and companion =
bill, <A=20
              =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCxvFXI7UL4VtUOYCwBwPlThS5-k=
cG_LcA0wd_CdPEZyyL9rOPJ47TQn8VUkVeIv4toV1UeG3diqgXzlD-rDofZiKU1xjBAokjskk=
9TljCg2n1pXXblatSdfGe8v_H6HGmnz4Hph9u7ZxU3jaYvvz4edzjkTFBJx1GobPwawzotY9E=
5HEQG4NWROXEifBqIJAZqcG7YHpE48SWtx4T7gMAxYkIzTv2LAUvCSNMMPaDfiHT_mrySNaP3=
O">SB=20
              2472</A> by Sen. Nan Rich (D-Broward).=20
              <LI><A=20
              =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCxEWpK2FHwQQ0Q7_7tV4-yfgCNX=
H-hLImCJiB-5FOVoRhhTdASaj3WAa7isRIKN6BK6VQlAC1-zlF9YBADwIFbtY-1q7FUBaced3=
v-YAPzmFItNli8FuPwhknQwZXA_eO4VnuWJ7vSxAPO-OElXbNNYtykKoctbV3MIl5MiRJEB0p=
TXdZRHf-GCP2pPY3Snw53sTVj22zoyPw=3D=3D">HB=20
              1457</A> by Rep. Rene Garcia (R-Miami-Dade) and companion =
bill, <A=20
              =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCwk-P0NzydxHnmUGqu2VrHcDoul=
yhC78W7BYHYmAxE7Z5dLfSnWrUV_Ad0akphcnAQ8LHS8l30dXN2up8l9IllAEzYKP36uCD_No=
8cS6d9pLwBGbv81aECJl4OrvgrQuj1Y1ioKWS_RUnF7hA8As5TTJ5OzYo_KalqrUrOhiMOla0=
jo4RU9CvNipYNR05Lt-X8FTq491keY-DmnifqM_LJJYI29IXTWPunNcv8LiecQNv9kIEOyipT=
o">SB=20
              2032</A> by Sen. Mike Fasano (R-Pasco). </LI></UL><B>TAKE=20
            ACTION</B>: Call legislators and urge them to pass a KidCare =
bill=20
            that removes enrollment and retention barriers, and creates =
a=20
            seamless system to make it easier for eligible children to =
remain in=20
            the program and help newly eligible children enroll.=20
            <P></P>
            <P><B>Medicaid</B><BR><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCyjZvskdbX6e-VihUYxVniA67Dk=
KrACFz3Je929jXye3ZVjYgKLuzUV4a1H3sqj5SWonKjsJeZpdgkVnEhtSTuTiDuyx7aiG4PL3=
REiEgwuKxw51gz-OzH1nVsbhiO5xveNPpq-D9LIV4LzOFJu-S7tpUQlvAiEVyya0YztTc9jtV=
1fRdOIuIaaYp0kVFi9wr45GF5UyXIqvw=3D=3D">HB=20
            5085</A> by Rep. Ray Sansom (R-Okaloosa) and the Policy and =
Budget=20
            Council passed the House floor with a vote of 74-41 on =
Thursday last=20
            week. The bill passed on the Senate floor Wednesday with a =
vote of=20
            26-14. Among several other provisions, the bill provides for =
the=20
            expansion of the Medicaid managed care pilot program in 2010 =
to=20
            Hardee, Highlands, Hillsborough, Manatee, Miami-Dade, =
Monroe, Pasco,=20
            Pinellas and Polk counties. The bill now heads to conference =

            committee with members that have been appointed by the House =
and=20
            Senate.</P>
            <P><B>Childcare</B><BR><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCxRFObRotfwD7miF9z9JEwclsIQ=
PVgGK0_ej5I4ygpJQcPViTPAwYmO5vEqopqr54W1WuePJgyAbqfFYsBfcZe7EU0RlyfoFDZ3X=
hIAmBR6pCsOmsUj86Ed3gq4YyPRhyqUYrM0hsMBfsR7LaFlpT-4Cs6Fyyk2MKN7lkB_gzNeOO=
ZBgpZrECVKbGEjDVAR2Oa3d5WD-rDa29idWE7mRfmLSmOUIn_KeEGotbXlhzPg9rcacgLnGlw=
O">HB=20
            1271</A> by Rep. Nick Thompson (R-Lee) was approved by the =
Policy=20
            &amp; Budget Council and heard on the House floor. Referred =
to as=20
            the "Zahid Jones Give Grandparents and Relatives a Voice =
Act," the=20
            bill provides that relatives can request notification of all =

            proceedings and hearings regarding a child's care. It gives =
access=20
            to DCF records and gives investigator's contact information =
to a=20
            child's treating physician within 24 hours of an =
investigator being=20
            assigned. It also establishes the first Sunday after Labor =
Day as=20
            "Grandparents and Family Caregivers Day" in Florida. Senate =
version,=20
            <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCwLpkfBNnjpqsOg6sM0JHGbxM5p=
tKc4aDKvJ3qnkJJn1Qhlcu4EjiWZBV_4fuHCnuVnWDXJ8lHMn_eAyhW82WvjFAnkWug8V7q-t=
BuRwdVIJ2m8WymhAos8jOuhLhxgQMYCs0kEJZG5jS6w7NobtOb0cFi_w9RN6Q4xmkv4QqJ9Qa=
aYlExHbPi_4Sdy8xPzJEiFvRtLoA1yzCdM5TvS8gMviXSIsyn7_elxmbdpap6vO1bOMt1Yzhh=
c">SB=20
            2644</A>, by Sen. Ronda Storms (R-Hillsborough) is in =
Judiciary.</P>
            <P><B>Autism</B><BR><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCzAMPeAA9-JlLX3w2rpinfjtNJ0=
ZJu4jXBdAxNaQpbFnGgUiBTLL1uj40kt09dZXAGWf5vzmCX4p28xh3QIT_PgAACT0gRNSLyjs=
yWlCIHUPxgiAOKvI--AFWc1sF9zJADrro9MreVDw7eMyakpYkeyC6HrZzsMQED5UWqOwbBpe7=
NE_EgeCx8H8ECNHfmo37cqUInzRay1eP3xopporNJpK0N4N6gudV9PKT-2n9WHNqz6UHh50xa=
X">SB=20
            2654</A> by Sen. Steve Geller (D-Broward) is on Special =
Order=20
            Calendar. The bill, titled "Window of Opportunity Act," =
requires=20
            health insurance plans to provide coverage for screening, =
diagnosis,=20
            intervention, and treatment of autism spectrum disorders in=20
            children. The House version, <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCx8jjc3kgMroQKMZgEdpSJ8y3sK=
vq8Zv2vlkNhVjisPllEZo2GHSIx4eHnHw25LEsPMv8d2noJsE8ZvQeimTRTTc1o4VZ4j6Jm_6=
12jCsVPBDJs4TxetxCvk-n_wzL6RD0l5OMeqieMMt43hrpNd3zRvbzw-LTQq297spAiStUNj8=
bk4BJIdR9tnHAf0tsZxZ4pF59Mj78mJXVlOlrqminGpokl4ZOiAt57NXf1rQOn-rkuvCrrZTy=
w">HB=20
            1291</A> by Rep. Ari Porth (D-Broward), remains in the =
Healthcare=20
            Council.</P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD>
[...]
            size=3D3>Juvenile Justice</FONT></FONT>=20
            <P><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCyzuV21yhKXF8ID1lvl9Msr1i7Z=
cm-IApGzzjT9GsttOvXjpG72fdVd8TaRChIRMZhUoNmTjqoK0D9jmGj4iqRBCyFdhZGO1gDng=
GtjRA3GtY2dIQNTH15mdQH-k2iCdF_LAc2tWWGvVb9Wr4__K1TDn5pBDifjvYuEWs8lvMFvdk=
HtQR1wNDpht8BPYDbHF6qIfCU2hwlIFXAtN1OT3r2wf3UAlse2q6TWyDGFhLyQnmkQRVPSkvd=
Q">SB=20
            700</A> by Sen. Victor Crist (R-Hillsborough) awaits review =
in=20
            Criminal &amp; Civil Justice Appropriations. The bill =
includes=20
            substantive legislation advancing the recommendations of the =

            Blueprint Commission. The House version, <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCwE0i_MZW2GTu_GrLUOI37EuKKH=
R9n5NSnzl2fx_JHvSHdO0f_Qsx_9JdYdxLPxLu4obY8uc2vXN4ZOoWfJ4g0qDWi_jN0vMgy7W=
LrJ8R4IIPYtm-KzNBJJxeZaiygT3LebRPUABts2evTiOc7dsrpKGG8zEKXRZjTFcDDNd6L8Rl=
sVbTjwHD1pEKTSoH6qQErLly97QTjEsEZjSsPQ8R0tQToW0JX6JmdLc91dU8VJ17Za-fh6R6d=
7">HB=20
            7087</A> by Rep. Mitch Needleman (R-Brevard) was reported =
favorably=20
            by the Policy &amp; Budget Council on Tuesday.<BR><BR><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCzrgrfoqKdwRTKlnLVvezIYvnMN=
ZXcwCKP_nMKyWWxRwtZLebpS-PM8xgBsw73eEAT-ipXK5i6PjpvwBtiH_MgphQbvUXHLY4Yxl=
Ve37x1ECCxXUviWRChRMBQRw1mGz0ljeusyGQqkVjT5Bj2_1ctWYQSb2825YjhrJU2vkQxoMM=
DDQskqxeVH6rS5_XQ793Pu7KxlrqSZRlnhVu3wlKLpRbZgoQmy7BSTPIfxsLNpQ-YWkctb2Y8=
z">SB=20
            792</A> relating to Juvenile Justice by Sen. Carey Baker =
(R-Lake)=20
            has been added on the Senate Judiciary Committee agenda for =
April=20
            21. The House companion, <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCzXD3KYpq4khI7qyvpAB1WJCqDv=
Spq56PDkpgUVcWbEZZ2q57uDkzF2KyC2oKwilGnubNVg6ve9Rg2FVaZ_Ru58l7RXmwGXqEKj9=
8T2Z4B7AkCE5eB4Oa6GSaVDkjpJJ5HpwhS9hXmE6Z-K-4x6E46X1JZuHj7ul8SpuJyKVpTmwr=
HNhqLEUwGVrATIlJd4vsdblg3Hrnb-9g=3D=3D">HB=20
            273</A> by Rep. Sandy Adams (R-Seminole) had its second =
reading on=20
            the House floor on=20
Wednesday.</P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD>
[...]
            size=3D3>Independent Living/Foster Care</FONT></FONT>=20
            <P><B>Foster Care</B><BR><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCzVVpTUZGvkqEDwqG6yo0dDD07i=
zko7Ts5jhiaCecP7pEGxgdr8gYGPArXN0HrEWoTq-he5iIbpLnc8puWIBjaPbv_5C78saliKg=
dFXd0-SaXEtEO0JhyzfDEglOlWgntkjBU8BjU3AMCplHYsOZ_hxkjUCdv2gPL-L0m4j97nK9w=
AsKU7Ek4GdwIaab6IYzI3ppDszxwXDdwDLRQYIoiMwG6LcqUtQKr38wfa0f61mhw6M57dqY2U=
5">SB=20
            2762</A> by Sen. Paula Dockery (R-Polk) is now in =
Governmental=20
            Operations after being reported favorably as a committee =
substitute=20
            by the Judiciary Committee last week. <BR><BR><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCzfZvL4KRw1VovS7j4NKmvKIWEo=
x50ia-yOQwuQg_8FRbGXjoNcmzW_jnNhNWT8lg1nEFfH8tzEbCMjeASCpYQDA1-FvQuA9gv13=
iEp_dW9hOfJ-Pv1vbJNBpuBOlvhlGzECEXwPb67CB-qRUCw5DV4fp1HSwQxRlBzd0u5tdZUU4=
yOJRB-jDJKoP88J8jQRxKGIoMnpnmppPwqsPzMEM5-aQCLreVnk9LNOB-mDEC3DLWt1pBBTkx=
F">SB=20
            2750</A> by Sen. Ronda Storms (R-Hillsborough) awaits review =
in=20
            Judiciary Committee. The bill provides conditions for court=20
            appointment of a surrogate parent for educational =
decision-making=20
            for a child who has a disability and provides access to free =
public=20
            education for certain children in foster care. Companion =
bill, <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCwZcgmtfPsIQ2HgFLggDS6oaR1F=
pnSAUdQ5_mqnVqM_2vMcHz8mvEF9huJzTRTFwncmA34z9Y4Cq6ubgDCINDjGdqcmPr422a8xx=
2ebdfy9zGHvtxTugd6qOFlSu7nCz8G6Fx_yfjyri9jFJkAoi5FD9S9cBwsAc5s4J6glRL1urN=
pfEwrsI0W9PUJskOP46YVs7Y5CDpR7Abeg6FScEQJQOM4AqJI4VEqZUZAonjoKDjRaiK7ymQU=
K">HB=20
            769</A> by Rep. Kurt Kelly (R-Marion) was read for the =
second time=20
            on the House floor.</P>
            <P><B>Adoption</B><BR><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCy63XfmpmzCIHg9nXlpJ7jvgyyN=
9Rnl20sU13zQN9nqHs51zjSm2RLPkq9esS1YjmPuT_pZMi5tMBVcUYte9T9h2EfOztVd1gxSk=
fmP2UP7YXcAH6_gU3oCDvDPyarNe-92vMoBtRf9Or6XDbm5jZTx8ShZVrQCnp41f7YjP3RNLb=
ck697K6LBYqR4IHzZMquY1k0DXkh5aXWG2EOwFjidDEbQRaQZyp1zA7xsHBfFHNQovi-sqkUN=
5">SB=20
            1084</A> by Sen. Nan Rich (D-Broward) which revises various=20
            provisions of the Florida Adoption Act was passed by =
Criminal and=20
            Civil Justice Appropriations this week and was placed on the =
Senate=20
            Calendar for first reading. House version <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCz9TcuwuNzywmgKzR_a7wuk_zmg=
K1AnRu-eI8Z8i-Ylq2RfiEZ3UaAH9Kt05Mnl7XorgbWEpou2irpmq-pH5QeMYhWGzbDy1Gpki=
4QAHsSbjAEfQq28NKiiIb25KxyfTEJbPkV8ZrLgU-MCCzDevGBA4YtUl5rOixhsN2duOScUdn=
HY0JPvkDUmjF0XgVIjL9qibiYmaHLaRO8Slng1rUziqea5IkR9070fOOxEnzimMK2u29td2FC=
t">HB=20
            663</A> by Rep. Dean Cannon (R-Orange) already passed the =
House=20
            floor on April =
2.</P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD>
[...]
            size=3D3>Other Issues</FONT></FONT>=20
            <P><B>Children's Zones</B><BR><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCz2ftJ3pNgopvXHbjqocEk0-unt=
RffW66_r1JNsA4QN945whFpgZ7tz_FosGpmchXxcue5Kl9qOhVO5wVcAjUYJj_p6Pjs-h7dc4=
8c0BzILtoLc05S9QvyEmPv9TEXf_58A_FCKgLhKCyOjNLOD4xJ8fRYitmnb3IVZbGtugpNYT1=
khsVzAeOEfWt_TNLi1y81fbTlmh_jTSw=3D=3D">HB=20
            3</A> by Rep. Dorothy Bendross-Mindingall (D-Miami- Dade) =
and the=20
            Healthcare Council passed the House unanimously on Wednesday =
and was=20
            sent to the Senate. Companion bill, <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCz0lQTx6t14z9XFR9480eY7im8X=
zqCsiuhmTeFrlMyHkxKmLnwkbFpEbiONE4VGLtzw8iBYHoam2aePtVm7tvZF4yp3gzMUtKmVx=
vgkXq0D-6-a6hbSm6ea2-obQ4zJTl-lKzkCN8ebLLwUE3UeQWaSAfBaqb957VGPvTm-8BIVFY=
TNFUSysNagRRyqXN3qWeZoWxJVwPh5l28GNwPsHT0_F1PHm3m7rmF9l_8v5KnFMOaMt6d-BuQ=
v">SB=20
            500</A> by Sen. Larcenia Bullard (D-Monroe), was pulled from =

            committees of reference and is on the agenda for Health and =
Human=20
            Services Appropriations.</P>
            <P><B>Property Tax</B><BR>Following the defeat of the highly =

            controversial Taxpayer Bill of Rights proposal in the =
Taxation and=20
            Budget Reform Commission meeting Monday, a flurry of =
property tax=20
            bills have been moving through the House this =
week.<BR><BR><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCzrRjRhWnDRXl84uIAdG_-6ifKj=
6W4X03GR-y2hb1fV2j0g893WW327E6-gYQqKCx0zBqfsugREMa18KNOzbAqR4lvQoKLu6RgHB=
sFQjaxb1N6knlYrpzsfny7VqR_Xxoe71GnXaJ4T_hGll3tn_dwvAFli_RkwcfX7uBVZc6i8ot=
3KPwVdmhL72-euOvPHctVa0iFRhQ6yLg=3D=3D">HJR=20
            949</A> by Carlos Lopez-Cantera (R-Miami-Dade) is a =
rendition of=20
            House Speaker Marco Rubio's property tax proposal asking =
voters to=20
            amend the state Constitution so that all real property =
(residential,=20
            commercial, rental) will not exceed 1.35 percent of the =
highest=20
            taxable value of a property. The bill passed the Policy =
&amp; Budget=20
            Council this week and is on second reading on the House =
floor. A=20
            similar bill in the Senate, <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCx1euejy5RlEd-dn8cjcJyXK7Wv=
G1SSLAeqW-aCgNnaieo1yxeOOs1nB_gG7pUOrje6ZFhi3DL2xmkGVc7eCiKaFd-WlFswCMg7K=
x1GFVUvzNXwOsuxMgH2Jzab5xOh9er4t7QA2xrzSSSom7B4g1p4jYAv7sklj-zFTWKgKGmweO=
yAOYCHINQDqPilpoXy8XA0oEbYPvptjUixRdll3X_VC-xXOHGQ-FnaQYxcvaDEU_0QIfx-kOJ=
A">SJR=20
            2190</A> by Sen. Mike Bennett (R-Manatee), was reported =
favorably in=20
            Community Affairs on April 9. It is now in Finance and=20
            Tax.<BR><BR><A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCz6FecyROgq8onbHMj590uBhkvA=
iusI5l2fJAF7rNbmalQk2AxWauWQnoHeCBm4106fq3SDsdyQIE2-22bOTu-gXmae7xEEAedCw=
0yFlnXwlvpaaZC9H00HU59izhbEW8zMkRbe3PAynahp6flZxDLRsydmXgzVOw47i3ZbnMcHhK=
2aP_FPOUUCDdJtCjCM-SdM_p-ge5IRPg=3D=3D">HJR=20
            7125</A> is a proposed Constitutional amendment by the =
Policy &amp;=20
            Budget Council, Government Efficiency &amp; Accountability =
Council=20
            and Rep. Frank Attkisson (R- Osceola) that would give the=20
            legislature authority to place caps on revenues collected by =
the=20
            state, as well as counties, cities, school boards and =
special=20
            districts. The legislature also would have authority to =
determine=20
            how excess revenues may be used. The bill was approved by =
the Policy=20
            &amp; Budget Council along party lines at the end of a =
marathon=20
            session that lasted from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Additionally, the =
bill=20
            revises the current limitation on revenues from a growth =
factor=20
            using personal income to a growth factor based on population =
and=20
            inflation, plus one percent. The base year is updated to FY =
2007-08.=20
            There is no Senate=20
companion.</P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD>
[...]
            size=3D3>Federal News</FONT></FONT>=20
            <P><B>Congressional Action on Medicaid</B><BR>House bill <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCwa2CZrBg7S9PXmAnrrGgJ0ojhr=
9Vge2g2wlbeGOg6iYZTbESHu3MjoDx1feXBZCVpDvLeqlL_ZbgkjCZdAIaWCr8l4Q2fQYO7tU=
BbakiWrbwxoEkRezpmbIJ9_p9wzzCFN8apJaabURv_CHkB64l_1GVQbbcTSbXo=3D">H.R.=20
            5613</A>, titled Protecting the Medicaid Safety Net Act of =
2008, now=20
            has 164 co-sponsors. It went to the House Energy and =
Commerce=20
            committee this week following its approval by that =
committee's=20
            health subcommittee. Republican members of the subcommittee=20
            supported it after provisions were added regarding asset=20
            verification and additional funding for efforts against =
Medicaid=20
            fraud. Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) said he thought the White =
House would=20
            not veto it after those measures were added. Rep. Dingell is =
the=20
            committee chairman, a sponsor, and likely to gavel the bill =
through=20
            the committee soon. Prospects for H.R. 5613 are quite good =
at this=20
            point. The bill seeks to preserve critical health care =
programs and=20
            services by extending a moratorium on several Medicaid =
regulations.=20
            The regulations are estimated to strip $20 billion over five =
years=20
            from the Medicaid program.<BR><BR>Federal bill <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCxwpvUCo6CczxDNo9BIwEIhk_Z0=
kjmSk9WBmvgrHL-qUltHWE7mFmqjgz5Zbko2lpsf7YyeRvgt7lYoSk4YHgGaJGfIf6KD6X1Nn=
x7JyJ0k4TsapJU2f5QiK_KIUOHbQVrb0q49VEh4c8EFg-FQaAw3">S.=20
            2819</A>, cited as the Economic Recovery in Health Care Act =
of 2008,=20
            was introduced April 3. The Senate Finance Committee hasn't =
held any=20
            hearings on it yet, nor have there been any subcommittee =
hearings.=20
            There are just 12 cosponsors at this point. Unlike the House =
bill,=20
            it contains $12 billion in additional assistance to states =
in=20
            2008-2009, including $6 billion in Medicaid FMAP increases =
for 38=20
            states. Those additional expenditures could be a problem =
because=20
            savings must be found in other programs to stay within the =
budget=20
            resolution. Sen. Charles Grassley (R-KS), the ranking =
Republican and=20
            former chairman of the committee, has expressed comments to =
the=20
            effect that he considers a moratorium to be passing the buck =
and=20
            seems at odds with chairman Max Baucus (D-MT) who favors the =

            moratorium. The bill seeks to preserve access to Medicaid =
and the=20
            SCHIP in times of an economic downturn. The act extends =
moratoriums=20
            for seven controversial Centers for Medicare &amp; Medicaid =
Services=20
            rules that would affect states' eligibility criteria for=20
            SCHIP.<BR><BR>In other federal news, Dennis Smith, director =
of CMS'=20
            Center for Medicaid and State Operations, resigned last =
week. Smith=20
            has been criticized for proposing Medicaid regulations that =
state=20
            governors and some lawmakers believe will reduce health care =
funding=20
            for low-income residents. He also received criticism =
regarding=20
            regulations that limit how states may expand coverage under=20
            SCHIP.</P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD>
[...]
            size=3D3>In Other News</FONT></FONT>=20
            <P><B>Children's Board Celebrates 20th Anniversary</B> Last =
night,=20
            the Children's Board of Hillsborough County (CBHC) =
celebrated its=20
            20th anniversary with a dinner and ceremony to recognize the =
leaders=20
            and youth who have contributed to CBHC's success. Board =
members and=20
            community leaders gathered to celebrate passage of the 1988=20
            referendum that started it all. Congratulations to the CBHC =
and its=20
            community partners for working to improve the lives of =
children and=20
            families.</P>
            <P><B>Hard times put kids at risk, as well as programs to =
serve=20
            them</B><BR>Read the recent <I>Miami Herald</I> article, =
which=20
            provides a substantive report on the impacts of state budget =
cuts to=20
            several children's programs. <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCw36ITRx8Yd2vAtk2ZnK13ZQBIq=
aWjC_kamquZzgZGFCBfWzNKdje4vXHgk6Ze2xDAn-N5P3NC3sA2kwYm7HeHRXY414QiftKwo3=
Cd0OqBauHF5U40EQf_vD7MiqPjAa1-TyqPpjR2JXA=3D=3D">Read=20
            article</A>.</P>
            <P><B>Advocates: Budget cuts would hit abused children, =
foster kids,=20
            adoptions</B><BR><I>The Palm Beach Post</I> reports on what =
child=20
            advocates are saying about budget cuts to key programs. <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCxbTLCSovcIrTt5DN6VdxzBRuZR=
P3mPg6LXxz-4Vk1n93BWWsy28g9HD0qdjpSFw148ZmdgZAZmJqHDwrxSANoQ_BQaPXa2s3IPJ=
8r5jWIYNcpa2CQyeRlP681IVTeNdzpBGAYayJIC80GgVLZUhXq2Exb80eklJUU9ofaMBZ6Zbm=
qMTRh78nobZdlYiJRx1k4EfTjYXhq4ZMxvlmqVCaT5OSBMR1tf3P0=3D">Read=20
            article</A>.</P>
            <P><B>A Vision for the Reauthorization of Child Care</B> =
Leading=20
            advocacy organizations have recently come to agreement on "A =
Vision=20
            for the Reauthorization of Child Care." The vision offers a=20
            blueprint for the reauthorization of the Child Care and =
Development=20
            Block Grant and strengthening of the Dependent Care Tax =
Credit. It=20
            focuses on four key national agenda items:=20
            <UL>
              <LI>Ensuring children and families have access to =
affordable,=20
              healthy, safe care=20
              <LI>Improving quality to promote early learning=20
              <LI>Improving and expanding care for infants and toddlers=20
              <LI>Providing needed research and technical assistance =
</LI></UL>The=20
            Vision is supported by the National Association of Child =
Care=20
            Resource and Referral Agencies, the National Women's Law =
Center, the=20
            Center for Law and Social Policy, the National Association =
for the=20
            Education of Young Children, the National Association for =
Family=20
            Child Care, the Early Care and Education Consortium, the =
Children's=20
            Project, and the National Council of La Raza.=20
            <P></P>
            <P><B>Early Bird Registration for Infant Mental Health =
Conference=20
            Extended</B><BR>The North Florida Chapter of the Florida =
Infant=20
            Mental Health Association and the Florida Association for =
Infant=20
            Mental Health are hosting the 8th Annual Conference, titled=20
            "Building Our Future" May 15-16 in Jacksonville. Early Bird=20
            Registration has been extended to Friday, April 18. With a =
focus on=20
            infant- toddler development and mental health, the =
conference will=20
            feature the latest research and best practices to enhance =
social=20
            emotional development in infants, toddlers, and young =
children. For=20
            more information visit the <A=20
            =
href=3D"http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=3D0018LUO-RV5rCzCDzfg4ch9zb5vxwCyRo5v3KR3=
zLr0EeuUFJxcbWynahnNCgYpXQAwDI0lIEOHmcbx6wWumlG6I550lTt10W8uiktFaQb8Jfejo=
dQwm0TFLwXOd6h7PRBXA9ul3Re2hlU=3D">Infant=20
            Mental Health web=20
  =
site</A>.</P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></T=
ABLE></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01D8_01C8A3CE.B8CC8220--