[Hpn] Homeless vigil set

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:38:09 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01C7D33D.5C0425F0

Homeless vigil set
Michelle Martin, The StarPhoenix
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/story.html?id=3Db2826e82-=
2706-427f-a211-13e8fb91525a

 Tuesday, July 31, 2007
The "homelessness epidemic" and soaring rental rates have inspired an =
overnight vigil in Friendship Park tonight.

Linda Shirley, co-organizer of the vigil, said the event is being held =
to make people more aware of the issue of homelessness.

"There's going to have to be more affordable housing created in =
Saskatoon. Low-income housing units need to be made more readily =
available and we need to get more emergency shelters," said Shirley.

The vigil on the west side of Broadway Bridge is being planned by Don't =
We Count As People, a loose-knit committee of people who are either =
impoverished themselves or are affected by poverty in some way.

Several of its members also volunteer for Equal Justice For All, a =
non-profit, volunteer-based organization that assists people from its =
office on Avenue G North.

Shirley, a social work student at the First Nations University of Canada =
who is doing her practicum with Equal Justice For All, said she sees at =
least a dozen people a month who have been evicted or are concerned =
they're going to be homeless soon. Near her Mayfair home, she's watched =
a low-income family be uprooted because the house they were renting was =
sold.

"We're seeing rental units just diminishing," she said.

"Something's got to change. We're going to hit winter here and we're =
going to have people sleeping out by the river and freezing to death."

She said there is a lack of emergency shelter for single fathers, and =
the shortage of affordable housing is forcing some people to put their =
children into foster care.

She expects more than 200 people will attend the vigil, including city =
councillors, landlords, organizations that deal with homelessness and =
poverty, homeless people and members of the general public.

The event will begin with a meal at 6 p.m. Speakers and music will =
continue until midnight, when another meal will be served. Throughout =
the evening, First Nations elders will be offering prayers and guidance, =
and security will be patrolling the area. An 8 a.m., breakfast will mark =
the end of the event.

Shirley encourages the public to bring tents and chairs down to the park =
to share in the experience.

"Let's get out of our air-conditioned homes and experience being =
homeless for one night," she said.

mimartin@sp.canwest.com

William Charles Tinker=20
New Hampshire Homeless=20
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street=20
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA=20
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.=20
1-603-286-2492=20
http://www.missingkids.com=20
http://www.nationalhomeless.org=20
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org=20
newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com=20

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01C7D33D.5C0425F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3Dstoryheader>
<H2>Homeless vigil set</H2></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dfeed_details>
<H4>Michelle Martin, The StarPhoenix</H4>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/story.html?id=3Db=
2826e82-2706-427f-a211-13e8fb91525a">http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarp=
hoenix/news/story.html?id=3Db2826e82-2706-427f-a211-13e8fb91525a</A></FON=
T></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><SPAN>&nbsp;Tuesday, =
July 31,=20
2007</SPAN></DIV>
<P>The "homelessness epidemic" and soaring rental rates have inspired an =

overnight vigil in Friendship Park tonight.</P>
<P>Linda Shirley, co-organizer of the vigil, said the event is being =
held to=20
make people more aware of the issue of homelessness.</P>
<P>"There's going to have to be more affordable housing created in =
Saskatoon.=20
Low-income housing units need to be made more readily available and we =
need to=20
get more emergency shelters," said Shirley.</P>
<P>The vigil on the west side of Broadway Bridge is being planned by =
Don't We=20
Count As People, a loose-knit committee of people who are either =
impoverished=20
themselves or are affected by poverty in some way.</P>
<P>Several of its members also volunteer for Equal Justice For All, a=20
non-profit, volunteer-based organization that assists people from its =
office on=20
Avenue G North.</P>
<P>Shirley, a social work student at the First Nations University of =
Canada who=20
is doing her practicum with Equal Justice For All, said she sees at =
least a=20
dozen people a month who have been evicted or are concerned they're =
going to be=20
homeless soon. Near her Mayfair home, she's watched a low-income family =
be=20
uprooted because the house they were renting was sold.</P>
<P>"We're seeing rental units just diminishing," she said.</P>
<P>"Something's got to change. We're going to hit winter here and we're =
going to=20
have people sleeping out by the river and freezing to death."</P>
<P>She said there is a lack of emergency shelter for single fathers, and =
the=20
shortage of affordable housing is forcing some people to put their =
children into=20
foster care.</P>
<P>She expects more than 200 people will attend the vigil, including =
city=20
councillors, landlords, organizations that deal with homelessness and =
poverty,=20
homeless people and members of the general public.</P>
<P>The event will begin with a meal at 6 p.m. Speakers and music will =
continue=20
until midnight, when another meal will be served. Throughout the =
evening, First=20
Nations elders will be offering prayers and guidance, and security will =
be=20
patrolling the area. An 8 a.m., breakfast will mark the end of the =
event.</P>
<P>Shirley encourages the public to bring tents and chairs down to the =
park to=20
share in the experience.</P>
<P>"Let's get out of our air-conditioned homes and experience being =
homeless for=20
one night," she said.</P>
<P><A =
href=3D"mailto:mimartin@sp.canwest.com">mimartin@sp.canwest.com</A></P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>William Charles Tinker <BR>New =
Hampshire Homeless=20
<BR>Founded 11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street <BR>Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 =
USA=20
<BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights. =
<BR>1-603-286-2492=20
<BR><A =
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A> =
<BR><A=20