[Hpn] Shanties cleared as city hosts ASEAN conference

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sun, 29 Jul 2007 09:23:35 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0102_01C7D1C2.239582D0

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/metro/view_article.php?article_=
id=3D79251

Shanties cleared as city hosts ASEAN conference=20

By Julie M. Aurelio
Inquirer

07/28/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- In her wooden shanty by a creek marking the =
boundary between the cities of Makati and Pasay, Erlinda Justiliano =
waits.

The 66-year-old woman who lives with three grandchildren in the hovel =
has heard from the grapevine that men from the Metropolitan Manila =
Development Authority will come to their community on Tripa De Gallina =
to clear out their home and those of others like them.

"I have heard about that, but we have not received any official word =
yet," the woman told the Inquirer. For as long as the wrecking crews =
don't come, she said she planned to stay put.

The ministerial meeting of the Association of South East Asian Nations =
(ASEAN) matters little to her, but she does know that such big events =
mean that eyesores like her shanty would have to swept under the rug.

In the past few weeks, authorities have been sprucing up the roads near =
and leading to the Philippine International Convention Center, where the =
five-day meeting will be held starting Sunday.

The MMDA has been working double time in landscaping center islands, =
rounding up beggars and suspected criminals, and clearing the shanties =
that mar the view of Metro Manila.

Along the MIA Road in Para=F1aque City, for example, metal frames have =
been set up on the bridge to be covered later to hide the view of trash =
floating on the Para=F1aque River.

On Saturday morning, truckloads of MMDA crews worked both riverbanks as =
they painted the houses of the squatters in bright shades of blue, =
yellow, and green.

The houses, unlike Justiliano's wooden shanty, are made of concrete and =
steel and therefore more difficult for the authorities to knock down.

"They're just painting the houses to make the view more pleasant," a =
female resident said.

Justiliano said she doesn't mind moving out in order not to be an =
eyesore to the visiting foreign dignitaries -- as long as she and the =
other 27 families in her area have a place to stay.

"We were told that we have not been transferred yet because there's no =
place yet. I don't mind, as long as they tell us, and we have a place to =
stay," she said in Filipino.

She has been living along the creek, which is near Senator Gil Puyat =
Avenue, since 1986. A few paces away, another family lives under the =
bridge, oblivious to the plans to have them move out.

"We have not yet received any notice, actually. But I heard that =
squatters' areas are being cleared," Loreta Alba said.

Meanwhile, a housing rights advocacy group criticized the government's =
harried makeover of Metro Manila as a weak way to make "good =
impressions."

"Fresh paint, landscaping, rounding up beggars and clearing squatters =
will not do the trick," Urban Poor Associates said in a statement.

The group expressed concern that big events such as the ASEAN Summit are =
often accompanied by human rights violations, such as the demolitions of =
poor communities in host cities and forced evictions.

The UPA also called on the government to "stop the culture of =
self-deception," pointing out that in 2006, nearly 42 families were left =
homeless when the authorities demolished their houses in front of the =
Shangri-La Mactan Resort and Spa on Mactan Island to make way for a =
parking lot.

    =20

William Charles Tinker=20
New Hampshire Homeless=20
Founded 11-28-99
25 Granite Street=20
Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 USA=20
Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights.=20
1-603-286-2492=20
http://www.missingkids.com=20
http://www.nationalhomeless.org=20
http://www.newhampshirehomeless.org=20
newhampshirehomeless-subscribe@topica.com=20

------=_NextPart_000_0102_01C7D1C2.239582D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/metro/view_article.php?=
article_id=3D79251">http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/metro/view_=
article.php?article_id=3D79251</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><BR><SPAN =
class=3Dfontheadline>Shanties=20
cleared as city hosts ASEAN conference </SPAN><BR></DIV>
<P class=3Dfontsubheadline></P>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dfontbyline>By Julie M. Aurelio</SPAN><BR><SPAN=20
class=3Dfontbyline>Inquirer</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dfontbyline></SPAN><BR><SPAN=20
class=3Dfonttimestamp>07/28/2007</SPAN><BR></DIV>
<P class=3Dfonteditor></P>
<P>MANILA, Philippines -- In her wooden shanty by a creek marking the =
boundary=20
between the cities of Makati and Pasay, Erlinda Justiliano waits.</P>
<P>The 66-year-old woman who lives with three grandchildren in the hovel =
has=20
heard from the grapevine that men from the Metropolitan Manila =
Development=20
Authority will come to their community on Tripa De Gallina to clear out =
their=20
home and those of others like them.</P>
<P>"I have heard about that, but we have not received any official word =
yet,"=20
the woman told the Inquirer. For as long as the wrecking crews don=92t =
come, she=20
said she planned to stay put.</P>
<P>The ministerial meeting of the Association of South East Asian =
Nations=20
(ASEAN) matters little to her, but she does know that such big events =
mean that=20
eyesores like her shanty would have to swept under the rug.</P>
<P>In the past few weeks, authorities have been sprucing up the roads =
near and=20
leading to the Philippine International Convention Center, where the =
five-day=20
meeting will be held starting Sunday.</P>
<P>The MMDA has been working double time in landscaping center islands, =
rounding=20
up beggars and suspected criminals, and clearing the shanties that mar =
the view=20
of Metro Manila.</P>
<P>Along the MIA Road in Para=F1aque City, for example, metal frames =
have been set=20
up on the bridge to be covered later to hide the view of trash floating =
on the=20
Para=F1aque River.</P>
<P>On Saturday morning, truckloads of MMDA crews worked both riverbanks =
as they=20
painted the houses of the squatters in bright shades of blue, yellow, =
and=20
green.</P>
<P>The houses, unlike Justiliano's wooden shanty, are made of concrete =
and steel=20
and therefore more difficult for the authorities to knock down.</P>
<P>"They're just painting the houses to make the view more pleasant," a =
female=20
resident said.</P>
<P>Justiliano said she doesn't mind moving out in order not to be an =
eyesore to=20
the visiting foreign dignitaries -- as long as she and the other 27 =
families in=20
her area have a place to stay.</P>
<P>"We were told that we have not been transferred yet because there's =
no place=20
yet. I don't mind, as long as they tell us, and we have a place to =
stay," she=20
said in Filipino.</P>
<P>She has been living along the creek, which is near Senator Gil Puyat =
Avenue,=20
since 1986. A few paces away, another family lives under the bridge, =
oblivious=20
to the plans to have them move out.</P>
<P>"We have not yet received any notice, actually. But I heard that =
squatters'=20
areas are being cleared," Loreta Alba said.</P>
<P>Meanwhile, a housing rights advocacy group criticized the =
government's=20
harried makeover of Metro Manila as a weak way to make "good =
impressions."</P>
<P>"Fresh paint, landscaping, rounding up beggars and clearing squatters =
will=20
not do the trick," Urban Poor Associates said in a statement.</P>
<P>The group expressed concern that big events such as the ASEAN Summit =
are=20
often accompanied by human rights violations, such as the demolitions of =
poor=20
communities in host cities and forced evictions.</P>
<P>The UPA also called on the government to "stop the culture of=20
self-deception," pointing out that in 2006, nearly 42 families were left =

homeless when the authorities demolished their houses in front of the =
Shangri-La=20
Mactan Resort and Spa on Mactan Island to make way for a parking =
lot.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P><!-- Content Table End =
-->
<DIV>
<TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 width=3D610 border=3D0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD width=3D610><BR><!--[*cebu*]--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>William Charles Tinker <BR>New =
Hampshire Homeless=20
<BR>Founded 11-28-99<BR>25 Granite Street <BR>Northfield,N.H. 03276-1640 =
USA=20
<BR>Advocates,activists for disabled,displaced human rights. =
<BR>1-603-286-2492=20
<BR><A =
href=3D"http://www.missingkids.com">http://www.missingkids.com</A> =
<BR><A=20