[Hpn] Arrest Sparks Protest at McDonald's

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:27:01 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0111_01C7C77A.B374C3E0

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/15/18435604.php

Arrest Sparks Protest at McDonald's

by Mike Rhodes  MikeRhodes@Comcast.net =20

Sunday Jul 15th, 2007=20
  Responding to the arrest of a handicapped homeless woman, who was =
attempting to use a bathroom at McDonalds, about a dozen protestors held =
signs and talked to the media in front of the restaurant today. =20

Arrest Sparks Protest at McDonald's=20
By Mike Rhodes=20

The arrest last weekend of a homeless woman at a Fresno McDonald's led =
to a protest today. Protestors said Sherri Williams's rights were =
violated when she was arrested for attempting to use the restroom at =
McDonald's on Olive and highway 99. Speaking at the protest Liza Apper, =
of the Saint Benedict Catholic Worker group, said she was "here today to =
support Sherri and her husband Al who was discriminated against from =
getting service at this McDonald's." Liza said she would "like =
McDonald's to acknowledge their policy of discrimination toward =
handicapped people and change. They should give the same level of =
service to their fully abled customers as they do to their handicapped =
customers."=20

Liza had a message for the McDonald's corporation. She said "McDonald's =
has roots in helping the homeless, Founder Ray Kroc and his wife were =
very supportive and contributed millions of dollars to the Saint Vincent =
center in San Diego and I think that McDonald's, when they are aware of =
this situation, would feel very upset that their own founders, who had =
so much sympathy and put their money where their mouth was for the =
homeless, would have a local McDonald's that exhibits such =
discrimination against the homeless and the handicapped."=20

Liza's husband Bryan was also at the protest. Bryan told me that a young =
man came over to him and asked what the protest was about. "When I told =
him that McDonald's had arrested this woman in a wheelchair because she =
took too long in the restroom, he got angry and said 'you know I eat =
here every day and I'm never coming back here again,' and he left. He =
was very angry."=20

Sherri Williams and her husband Al were at the protest. Sherri said that =
she hoped the protest would result in McDonald's allowing homeless and =
handicapped people to use the restroom. "I hope they don't discriminate =
against someone else who is in a wheelchair, another handicapped person, =
there was no reason for them to do that," Sherri said. To see a full =
report on the arrest, go to: =
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/08/18433984.php=20

Al Williams said "McDonald's has started discriminating against the =
homeless and handicapped people. We have approached them and they have =
become very belligerent about abiding by the laws, so we are going to =
make this public." Al said that he wanted McDonald's to realize that =
they are not above the law.=20

McDonald's manager Michelle Torres was at the scene of the protest =
today. Attempts by several journalists to get a comment from Torres were =
brushed off. Torres did yell at me for taking pictures of her employees =
who were serving protestors water. Of course, I continued taking =
pictures, and told her that she had no authority over journalists taking =
pictures of a news story.=20

There was no police presence at the protest All major television news =
stations did came out to interview Sherri, Al, and several of the 10 - =
15 protestors. The Fresno Bee was conspicuous in its absence.=20

For a list of articles and documents about the struggle for civil =
liberties for homeless people in Fresno, see: =
http://www.fresnoalliance.com/home/homelessness.htm
------=_NextPart_000_0111_01C7C77A.B374C3E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheaders>
<DIV class=3Dheading><STRONG class=3Dheading><A=20
href=3D"http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/15/18435604.php">http://=
www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/15/18435604.php</A></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheading><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheading><STRONG class=3Dheading>Arrest Sparks Protest at=20
McDonald=92s</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheading><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dauthor>by Mike Rhodes&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:MikeRhodes@Comcast.net">MikeRhodes@Comcast.net</A>&nbsp; =
</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dauthor><BR><EM>Sunday Jul 15th, 2007 </EM></DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dsummary>Responding to the arrest of a handicapped =
homeless=20
  woman, who was attempting to use a bathroom at McDonalds, about a =
dozen=20
  protestors held signs and talked to the media in front of the =
restaurant=20
  today.&nbsp; </BLOCKQUOTE>
<CENTER>
<DIV class=3Dmedia></A><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT><BR><BR><SMALL></SMALL></DIV></CENTER><BR>
<DIV class=3Darticle>Arrest Sparks Protest at McDonald=92s <BR>By Mike =
Rhodes=20
<BR><BR>The arrest last weekend of a homeless woman at a Fresno =
McDonald=92s led=20
to a protest today. Protestors said Sherri Williams=92s rights were =
violated when=20
she was arrested for attempting to use the restroom at McDonald=92s on =
Olive and=20
highway 99. Speaking at the protest Liza Apper, of the Saint Benedict =
Catholic=20
Worker group, said she was =93here today to support Sherri and her =
husband Al who=20
was discriminated against from getting service at this McDonald=92s.=94 =
Liza said=20
she would =93like McDonald=92s to acknowledge their policy of =
discrimination toward=20
handicapped people and change. They should give the same level of =
service to=20
their fully abled customers as they do to their handicapped =
customers.=94=20
<BR><BR>Liza had a message for the McDonald=92s corporation. She said =
=93McDonald=92s=20
has roots in helping the homeless, Founder Ray Kroc and his wife were =
very=20
supportive and contributed millions of dollars to the Saint Vincent =
center in=20
San Diego and I think that McDonald=92s, when they are aware of this =
situation,=20
would feel very upset that their own founders, who had so much sympathy =
and put=20
their money where their mouth was for the homeless, would have a local=20
McDonald=92s that exhibits such discrimination against the homeless and =
the=20
handicapped.=94 <BR><BR>Liza=92s husband Bryan was also at the protest. =
Bryan told=20
me that a young man came over to him and asked what the protest was =
about. =93When=20
I told him that McDonald=92s had arrested this woman in a wheelchair =
because she=20
took too long in the restroom, he got angry and said =91you know I eat =
here every=20
day and I=92m never coming back here again,=92 and he left. He was very =
angry.=94=20
<BR><BR>Sherri Williams and her husband Al were at the protest. Sherri =
said that=20
she hoped the protest would result in McDonald=92s allowing homeless and =

handicapped people to use the restroom. =93I hope they don=92t =
discriminate against=20
someone else who is in a wheelchair, another handicapped person, there =
was no=20
reason for them to do that,=94 Sherri said. To see a full report on the =
arrest, go=20
to: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/08/18433984.php">http://=
www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/08/18433984.php</A>=20
<BR><BR>Al Williams said =93McDonald=92s has started discriminating =
against the=20
homeless and handicapped people. We have approached them and they have =
become=20
very belligerent about abiding by the laws, so we are going to make this =

public.=94 Al said that he wanted McDonald=92s to realize that they are =
not above=20
the law. <BR><BR>McDonald=92s manager Michelle Torres was at the scene =
of the=20
protest today. Attempts by several journalists to get a comment from =
Torres were=20
brushed off. Torres did yell at me for taking pictures of her employees =
who were=20
serving protestors water. Of course, I continued taking pictures, and =
told her=20
that she had no authority over journalists taking pictures of a news =
story.=20
<BR><BR>There was no police presence at the protest All major television =
news=20
stations did came out to interview Sherri, Al, and several of the 10 - =
15=20
protestors. The Fresno Bee was conspicuous in its absence. <BR><BR>For a =
list of=20
articles and documents about the struggle for civil liberties for =
homeless=20
people in Fresno, see: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.fresnoalliance.com/home/homelessness.htm">http://www.f=
resnoalliance.com/home/homelessness.htm</A></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0111_01C7C77A.B374C3E0--