[Hpn] Mayor Autry, Stop Hurting the Homeless

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:16:19 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C7C593.0E874940

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/13/18435268.php

Mayor Autry, Stop Hurting the Homeless

by Mike Rhodes  MikeRhodes@Comcast.net=20
=20
Friday Jul 13th, 2007=20
  A protest was held in north Fresno today to call attention to the =
homeless situation in this community. The protestors were attempting to =
get the attention of mayor Alan Autry, who they say has not fulfilled =
his promises to improve the lives of the over 8,000 homeless people in =
Fresno.=20

Mayor Autry, Stop Hurting the Homeless=20

By Mike Rhodes=20

Kelly Borkert and Al Williams held a protest on Fresno mayor Alan =
Autry's home turf today. They were on the corner of Friant & Fort =
Washington, in north Fresno, holding signs calling on the mayor to stop =
hurting the homeless. As traffic roared by, Kelly explained why he were =
there, "I think this is the best place to catch the attention of mayor =
Alan Autry, this is where he works, his business office is here, he runs =
the city from here, and I figure he can't miss the message from here." =
Kelly told me that mayor Autry spends a lot of time at the Starbucks =
coffee shop at this location.=20

Asked what the message was, Kelly replied that "we want a different line =
of attack on the homeless problem, not fields of goatheads and latrines =
that they might sleep in." Kelly said that the mayor and city council =
members were out of touch with the reality of homeless residents and he =
was there to draw attention to the problem.=20

Williams, who is homeless, said he was there "because back in February =
at the Homelessness radio Marathon, Autry made a bunch of promises he =
never kept. He said he was going to come and see my wife who is in a =
wheelchair and handicapped. He had tears in his eyes and everything but =
then he never came, he never showed up. He made other promises to the =
homeless that he has not fulfilled and we are here to hold him to those =
promises. The mayor should set an example and not tell lies."=20

I asked Al what he thought the mayor should do to help the homeless. He =
said "There should be a place where they can go and get a shower, do =
their laundry, a work force similar to Labor Ready set up so people who =
need work done could call and get someone to do the job. A place where =
the homeless could get employed without having everyone else get rich =
off of them. Let the people work themselves back into society. You know, =
there are a lot of educated people out there that have college degrees. =
There are a large number of veterans out here (who are homeless). They =
were good enough to go and fight for this country and go into the =
military and they would like to get a job, but they need help. You can't =
get a job if you can't take a shower, you need clean clothes, a shave, =
do your laundry, and that is cheaper than the route the mayor is going =
in now."=20

Borkert agreed, saying that homeless people also need a safe place where =
they can stay and store their property. "The city should not be pushing =
people out of shady underpasses and into the most desolate parts of =
downtown."=20

For a list of articles and documents about the struggle for civil =
liberties for homeless people in Fresno, see: =
http://www.fresnoalliance.com/home/homelessness.htm=20

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C7C593.0E874940

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3Dwebcast>
<DIV class=3Dheaders>
<DIV class=3Dheading><STRONG class=3Dheading><A=20
href=3D"http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/13/18435268.php">http://=
www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/07/13/18435268.php</A></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheading><STRONG class=3Dheading></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheading><STRONG class=3Dheading>Mayor Autry, Stop Hurting =
the=20
Homeless</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheading><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dauthor>by Mike Rhodes&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:MikeRhodes@Comcast.net">MikeRhodes@Comcast.net</A>&nbsp;</=

<DIV class=3Dauthor>&nbsp;<BR><EM>Friday Jul 13th, 2007 =
</EM></DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dsummary>A protest was held in north Fresno today to =
call=20
  attention to the homeless situation in this community. The protestors =
were=20
  attempting to get the attention of mayor Alan Autry, who they say has =
not=20
  fulfilled his promises to improve the lives of the over 8,000 homeless =
people=20
  in Fresno. </BLOCKQUOTE>
<CENTER>
<DIV class=3Dmedia><A=20
href=3D"http://www.indybay.org/uploads/2007/07/13/600kelly.jpg"></A><FONT=
=20
face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><BR>&nbsp;</DIV></CENTER><BR>
<DIV class=3Darticle>Mayor Autry, Stop Hurting the Homeless </DIV>
<DIV class=3Darticle><BR>By Mike Rhodes <BR><BR>Kelly Borkert and Al =
Williams held=20
a protest on Fresno mayor Alan Autry=92s home turf today. They were on =
the corner=20
of Friant &amp; Fort Washington, in north Fresno, holding signs calling =
on the=20
mayor to stop hurting the homeless. As traffic roared by, Kelly =
explained why he=20
were there, =93I think this is the best place to catch the attention of =
mayor Alan=20
Autry, this is where he works, his business office is here, he runs the =
city=20
from here, and I figure he can=92t miss the message from here.=94 Kelly =
told me that=20
mayor Autry spends a lot of time at the Starbucks coffee shop at this =
location.=20
<BR><BR>Asked what the message was, Kelly replied that =93we want a =
different line=20
of attack on the homeless problem, not fields of goatheads and latrines =
that=20
they might sleep in.=94 Kelly said that the mayor and city council =
members were=20
out of touch with the reality of homeless residents and he was there to =
draw=20
attention to the problem. <BR><BR>Williams, who is homeless, said he was =
there=20
=93because back in February at the Homelessness radio Marathon, Autry =
made a bunch=20
of promises he never kept. He said he was going to come and see my wife =
who is=20
in a wheelchair and handicapped. He had tears in his eyes and everything =
but=20
then he never came, he never showed up. He made other promises to the =
homeless=20
that he has not fulfilled and we are here to hold him to those promises. =
The=20
mayor should set an example and not tell lies.=94 <BR><BR>I asked Al =
what he=20
thought the mayor should do to help the homeless. He said =93There =
should be a=20
place where they can go and get a shower, do their laundry, a work force =
similar=20
to Labor Ready set up so people who need work done could call and get =
someone to=20
do the job. A place where the homeless could get employed without having =

everyone else get rich off of them. Let the people work themselves back =
into=20
society. You know, there are a lot of educated people out there that =
have=20
college degrees. There are a large number of veterans out here (who are=20
homeless). They were good enough to go and fight for this country and go =
into=20
the military and they would like to get a job, but they need help. You =
can=92t get=20
a job if you can=92t take a shower, you need clean clothes, a shave, do =
your=20
laundry, and that is cheaper than the route the mayor is going in =
now.=94=20
<BR><BR>Borkert agreed, saying that homeless people also need a safe =
place where=20
they can stay and store their property. =93The city should not be =
pushing people=20
out of shady underpasses and into the most desolate parts of =
downtown.=94=20
<BR><BR>For a list of articles and documents about the struggle for =
civil=20
liberties for homeless people in Fresno, see: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.fresnoalliance.com/home/homelessness.htm">http://www.f=
resnoalliance.com/home/homelessness.htm</A>=20
<BR><BR></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C7C593.0E874940--