[Hpn] 'Naked as a jaybird'

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sat, 07 Jul 2007 03:16:05 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C7C045.27B331C0

http://nnsl.com/northern-news-services/stories/papers/jul5_07naked.html

'Naked as a jaybird'

Philippe Morin
Northern News Services

Thursday, July 5, 2007=20
INUVIK - Here's a story that will probably be told for many years by =
off-duty RCMP officers.19.=20

Last week, police chased a mentally disturbed man, who later started =
wandering naked in the woods and is suspected of starting a forest fire. =

"They found him naked as a jaybird, covered in mud," said Mayor Derek =
Lindsay.=20

"It is my understanding they were chasing him in the woods for some =
time."=20

Staff Sgt. Sidney Gray said the man was originally from southern Canada, =
possibly Northern Ontario.=20

He had been staying at the Inuvik Homeless Shelter since spring, after =
hitchhiking from Whitehorse.=20

It wasn't his first brush with police. In March, police apprehended him =
after he tried to walk to Paulatuk.=20

Earlier he had attempted to walk to Tuktoyaktuk and Paulatuk on separate =
occasions, and suffered severe frostbite on legs, feet, hands and face.=20

"You have to understand, this is someone on a different plane, we have =
no way of knowing what he was thinking," said Gray.=20

On Wednesday, June 27, the man was to appear before a psychologist for =
assessment, Gray said.=20

It was then he evaded police, who were aware he was staying at the =
Inuvik Homeless Shelter.=20

Const. Noella Cockney injured her shoulder after falling during the =
chase. The man managed to dodge police throughout town.=20

He then headed into the woods and officers decided to end the chase.=20

"We decided to wait for him to come out," said Gray. "We thought if we =
chased him further, it would just drive him deeper into the bush."=20

On Saturday, June 30, Lindsay said some boaters spotted the man, who had =
taken off his clothes.=20

It's unknown if he had been living in the woods for three nights, or =
sneaking back into town for food.=20

Lindsay said police apprehended the man, gave him some clothes, and =
brought him back to the station for some food.=20

The man's psychological assessment found him to be disassociated with =
reality.=20

The man was apprehended under the Mental Health Act on June 29.=20

"A psychiatric counsellor deemed he was mentally unsound, so they sent =
him out. He's gone to Edmonton now, I don't think we'll see him back =
here again," he said.=20

Lindsay added he was relieved the man would be getting some help.=20

He added it is suspected the man might have started a medium-sized =
forest fire near Navy Road June 21, which required helicopters to douse =
the blaze.=20

"It's just a really weird case," said Lindsay. "It's just an anomaly. =
You can't really predict these kinds of cases. I guess he's just one of =
those oddballs. I have no idea what he was thinking or why he came up =
here," said Lindsay.=20

Candice Smith, who works at the homeless shelter, said the man had =
stayed there for two weeks before his latest episode.=20

"He didn't cause any problems and we didn't become concerned until the =
last day, and that's when it happened," she said, of the man's escape.=20

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C7C045.27B331C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheadline><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://nnsl.com/northern-news-services/stories/papers/jul5_07nake=
d.html">http://nnsl.com/northern-news-services/stories/papers/jul5_07nake=
d.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheadline>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dheadline>'Naked as a jaybird'</DIV>
<P>
<DIV class=3Dstorytext><B>Philippe Morin</B><BR>Northern News =
Services</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dstorytext><BR>Thursday, July 5, 2007 </DIV>
<P class=3Dstorytext><GRAB>INUVIK - Here's a story that will probably be =
told for=20
many years by off-duty RCMP officers.19.</GRAB>=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>Last week, police chased a mentally disturbed man, =
who later=20
started wandering naked in the woods and is suspected of starting a =
forest fire.=20

<P class=3Dstorytext>"They found him naked as a jaybird, covered in =
mud," said=20
Mayor Derek Lindsay.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>"It is my understanding they were chasing him in =
the woods=20
for some time."=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>Staff Sgt. Sidney Gray said the man was originally =
from=20
southern Canada, possibly Northern Ontario.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>He had been staying at the Inuvik Homeless Shelter =
since=20
spring, after hitchhiking from Whitehorse.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>It wasn't his first brush with police. In March, =
police=20
apprehended him after he tried to walk to Paulatuk.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>Earlier he had attempted to walk to Tuktoyaktuk and =
Paulatuk=20
on separate occasions, and suffered severe frostbite on legs, feet, =
hands and=20
face.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>"You have to understand, this is someone on a =
different=20
plane, we have no way of knowing what he was thinking," said Gray.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>On Wednesday, June 27, the man was to appear before =
a=20
psychologist for assessment, Gray said.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>It was then he evaded police, who were aware he was =
staying=20
at the Inuvik Homeless Shelter.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>Const. Noella Cockney injured her shoulder after =
falling=20
during the chase. The man managed to dodge police throughout town.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>He then headed into the woods and officers decided =
to end the=20
chase.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>"We decided to wait for him to come out," said =
Gray. "We=20
thought if we chased him further, it would just drive him deeper into =
the bush."=20

<P class=3Dstorytext>On Saturday, June 30, Lindsay said some boaters =
spotted the=20
man, who had taken off his clothes.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>It's unknown if he had been living in the woods for =
three=20
nights, or sneaking back into town for food.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>Lindsay said police apprehended the man, gave him =
some=20
clothes, and brought him back to the station for some food.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>The man's psychological assessment found him to be=20
disassociated with reality.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>The man was apprehended under the Mental Health Act =
on June=20
29.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>"A psychiatric counsellor deemed he was mentally =
unsound, so=20
they sent him out. He's gone to Edmonton now, I don't think we'll see =
him back=20
here again," he said.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>Lindsay added he was relieved the man would be =
getting some=20
help.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>He added it is suspected the man might have started =
a=20
medium-sized forest fire near Navy Road June 21, which required =
helicopters to=20
douse the blaze.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>"It's just a really weird case," said Lindsay. =
"It's just an=20
anomaly. You can't really predict these kinds of cases. I guess he's =
just one of=20
those oddballs. I have no idea what he was thinking or why he came up =
here,"=20
said Lindsay.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>Candice Smith, who works at the homeless shelter, =
said the=20
man had stayed there for two weeks before his latest episode.=20
<P class=3Dstorytext>"He didn't cause any problems and we didn't become =
concerned=20
until the last day, and that's when it happened," she said, of the man's =
escape.=20

<P class=3Dstorytext></P><A=20
href=3D"http://nnsl.com/northern-news-services/stories/papers/jul5_07nake=
d.html#top"></A>=20