[Hpn] Calgarians reaching out to the less fortunate in historic numbers

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:32:07 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C84AC6.D87315A0

Thank you a million, Calgary
Sarah Mcginnis, Calgary Herald
http://www.canada.com:80/calgaryherald/story.html?id=3D7f42ac3f-8e42-47ce=
-85bf-dd270f4abefa&k=3D8706

Published: Sunday, December 30, 2007
Calgarians reaching out to the less fortunate in historic numbers have =
shattered a Calgary Herald Christmas Fund record, donating more than $1 =
million to the needy.

So far, the 17th annual campaign has raised $1,075,781.45 to benefit 14 =
social agencies across Calgary -- surpassing its $1 million goal.

The new total eclipses the previous record of $968,237.59 raised in =
2006.

"The generosity of Herald readers has been simply overwhelming," said =
Malcolm Kirk, publisher of the Calgary Herald.

The Christmas Fund's success demonstrates an increased awareness of the =
plight faced by the homeless and disadvantaged in Calgary.

A record 3,872 individual donors contributed to the campaign this year =
-- 225 more than in 2006.

"Our sincere thanks to everyone who donated to the Christmas Fund," =
added Kirk.

"Every penny raised will be given to the fund's beneficiaries to further =
the valuable work they perform in our community." One of those =
beneficiaries is the Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank, which plans to use =
its share of the donations to fund the hampers for its homeless program.

"This is changing lives," said the agency's spokeswoman, April Cruz.

Last year, Christmas Fund donations sponsored 12,368 hampers of =
easy-to-prepare food that were distributed to the homeless by 13 =
different agencies.

Increased funding means even more people can be helped, Cruz said.

"We do as much as we can based on our resources. This will allow us to =
revisit the program and see if there are additional agencies we could =
provide hampers to," she said.

Every morning, staff at the Calgary Dream Centre -- a transitional =
housing program for men -- grab the Calgary Herald, eager to read the =
latest Christmas Fund tally, said executive director Jim Moore.

This is the first year the organization has been included in the =
Christmas Fund and its staff has been thrilled by the results.

The Dream Centre plans to use its donations to hire additional staff to =
run programs that help homeless men leave the streets permanently.

"We are overwhelmed. To be able to reach the goal of $1 million is, to =
us, totally exciting to all of our staff," Moore said.

Donations to the Calgary Herald Christmas Fund will continue to be =
welcome through its website (heraldchristmasfund.com) until midnight =
Dec. 31.

smcginnis@theherald.canwest.com

- - -

Total to date:

$1,075,781.45

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C84AC6.D87315A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3Dstoryheader>
<H2>Thank you a million, Calgary</H2></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dfeed_details>
<H4>Sarah Mcginnis, Calgary Herald</H4>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.canada.com:80/calgaryherald/story.html?id=3D7f42ac3f-8=
e42-47ce-85bf-dd270f4abefa&amp;k=3D8706">http://www.canada.com:80/calgary=
herald/story.html?id=3D7f42ac3f-8e42-47ce-85bf-dd270f4abefa&amp;k=3D8706<=
/A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><SPAN>Published:&nbsp;Sunday, December 30, =
2007</SPAN></DIV>
<P>Calgarians reaching out to the less fortunate in historic numbers =
have=20
shattered a Calgary Herald Christmas Fund record, donating more than $1 =
million=20
to the needy.</P>
<P>So far, the 17th annual campaign has raised $1,075,781.45 to benefit =
14=20
social agencies across Calgary -- surpassing its $1 million goal.</P>
<P>The new total eclipses the previous record of $968,237.59 raised in =
2006.<!-- /calgaryherald/story_sponsor.inc --><!-- div =
class=3D"sponsorcontent">
					[ Sponsor Content ]=20
<P>"The generosity of Herald readers has been simply overwhelming," said =
Malcolm=20
Kirk, publisher of the Calgary Herald.</P>
<P>The Christmas Fund's success demonstrates an increased awareness of =
the=20
plight faced by the homeless and disadvantaged in Calgary.</P>
<P>A record 3,872 individual donors contributed to the campaign this =
year -- 225=20
more than in 2006.</P>
<P>"Our sincere thanks to everyone who donated to the Christmas Fund," =
added=20
Kirk.</P>
<P>"Every penny raised will be given to the fund's beneficiaries to =
further the=20
valuable work they perform in our community." One of those beneficiaries =
is the=20
Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank, which plans to use its share of the =
donations to=20
fund the hampers for its homeless program.</P>
<P>"This is changing lives," said the agency's spokeswoman, April =
Cruz.</P>
<P>Last year, Christmas Fund donations sponsored 12,368 hampers of=20
easy-to-prepare food that were distributed to the homeless by 13 =
different=20
agencies.</P>
<P>Increased funding means even more people can be helped, Cruz =
said.</P>
<P>"We do as much as we can based on our resources. This will allow us =
to=20
revisit the program and see if there are additional agencies we could =
provide=20
hampers to," she said.</P>
<P>Every morning, staff at the Calgary Dream Centre -- a transitional =
housing=20
program for men -- grab the Calgary Herald, eager to read the latest =
Christmas=20
Fund tally, said executive director Jim Moore.</P>
<P>This is the first year the organization has been included in the =
Christmas=20
Fund and its staff has been thrilled by the results.</P>
<P>The Dream Centre plans to use its donations to hire additional staff =
to run=20
programs that help homeless men leave the streets permanently.</P>
<P>"We are overwhelmed. To be able to reach the goal of $1 million is, =
to us,=20
totally exciting to all of our staff," Moore said.</P>
<P>Donations to the Calgary Herald Christmas Fund will continue to be =
welcome=20
through its website (heraldchristmasfund.com) until midnight Dec. =
31.</P>
<P>smcginnis@theherald.canwest.com</P>
<P>Total to date:</P>
<P>$1,075,781.45</P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C84AC6.D87315A0--