[Hpn] College Students Spend Christmas Eve Helping Homeless

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:43:12 -0500

http://www.wlox.com:80/Global/story.asp?S=7539687&nav=6DJI

College Students Spend Christmas Eve Helping Homeless

Dec 24, 2007

They say they usually spend their Christmas Eve shopping or watching movies,
but this time some college students told us they wanted to do something
different. Nearly a dozen students volunteered to serve a holiday meal at a
Biloxi soup kitchen.
Dishing out mashed potatoes and slicing up roast at a soup kitchen isn't how
Abby Able usually spends her Christmas Eve.
"I just wanted to help out on Christmas Eve, I thought it would be cool,"
said Able. "I just like helping people out and it just makes me feel good to
help other people out."
Able and other MGCCC students who volunteered at Loaves and Fishes are
members of a student organization called SHAC. Michael Rasmussen is
president.
"Students Humanitarians For Advancement and Change stands for helping all
those who need help. If it's right here at Loaves and Fishes serving the
homeless, or it's the genocide over in Darfur, we come to the aid of any and
all of whom we can."
Along with serving meals, SHAC has also reached out to the homeless by
holding fund raisers, clothing drives, and packing gift bags. On Christmas
Eve, they invited Ole Miss student Rosemary Call to tag along.
"It's nice," said Call. "You have something to talk about later or remember
when you went there. You want to do it again. So it's good to have somebody
there with you for support. I think everyone should go together."
The college students say they hope to send a message to other young people
that they too can do more in their communities.
Call said, "There aren't as many people our age that are helping out. I
don't think that they don't want to. They don't know where to go or who to
help really."
"There's not enough force in the helping of people," said Rasmussen. "There
needs to be a greater force and with us college students pushing that,
hopefully it will inspire other college students to do the same."
The director of Loaves and Fishes says the members of SHAC are planning a
concert on the Jefferson Davis campus, March 8th to benefit the soup
kitchen.