[Hpn] Death on the Streets

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:47:13 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C84A6C.C0C21F50

The Red Pill
Death on the Streets: Homelessness in the Grand Valley
Sat, 29 Dec 2007=20

http://theredpill.gnn.tv:80/blogs/26481/Death_on_the_Streets_Homelessness=
_in_the_Grand_Valley
On December 16th, the Grand Valley Coalition for the Homeless held its =
annual ceremony for those who died on the streets during the last year. =
It was bitter-cold despite the bright sun shine, and three inches of =
snow blanketed the ground. Dozens of men and women gathered early to get =
into the soup line, The Red Pill was able to sit down with Wild Man a =
Grand Junction native who has been on the streets for that last year and =
half.

"I knew Lori Adams. She passed out drunk and died of exposure," Wild Man =
said. "That's how a lot of people pass away." Wild Man came close to =
being one of the names commemorated at the service. He had a bad case of =
bronchitis down at his river camp. "I'd've died down there, if it =
weren't my friends who got me off the river," Wild Man said. I asked =
Wild Man what he thought the nation should do to help the homeless.

"We need to kill out the money to the military, our whole country is =
based on the military, and use that money for the people on the street."

After a lunch, which consisted of a thin potato soup, stale bread, and =
weak coffee people began hanging cards, bearing the names of those who =
have died on the streets of Grand Junction, on a small tree that was =
planted in 2003 in memorial.

This year eleven cards were hung from the tree. Teresa Black, Executive =
Director of Homeward Bound of the Grand Valley, said that this =
represented the best count, and that some of the names represented those =
who passed away previous years. "We aren't doing all that we can be =
doing," Black said, "I hope next year we have no new names to put on the =
tree."

In Loving Memory Of:

Lori Adams
Steve Hickson
Michael Steel
Ms. Brooks
Hiedi Bray
Magan Chapman
Dennis Miller
Steve White
Christine Fryer
Dave Pendergrass
Richard Bonnell

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C84A6C.C0C21F50

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<H1 id=3Dtitle>The Red Pill</H1>
<DIV class=3Dblog>
<H2><A=20
href=3D"http://theredpill.gnn.tv/blogs/26481/Death_on_the_Streets_Homeles=
sness_in_the_Grand_Valley">Death=20
on the Streets: Homelessness in the Grand Valley</A></H2>
<DIV class=3Ddate>Sat, 29 Dec 2007&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Ddate>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Ddate><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://theredpill.gnn.tv:80/blogs/26481/Death_on_the_Streets_Home=
lessness_in_the_Grand_Valley">http://theredpill.gnn.tv:80/blogs/26481/Dea=
th_on_the_Streets_Homelessness_in_the_Grand_Valley</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV id=3Dtext>
<P>On December 16th, the Grand Valley Coalition for the Homeless held =
its annual=20
ceremony for those who died on the streets during the last year. It was=20
bitter-cold despite the bright sun shine, and three inches of snow =
blanketed the=20
ground. Dozens of men and women gathered early to get into the soup =
line, The=20
Red Pill was able to sit down with Wild Man a Grand Junction native who =
has been=20
on the streets for that last year and half.</P>
<P>=93I knew Lori Adams. She passed out drunk and died of exposure,=94 =
Wild Man=20
said. =93That=92s how a lot of people pass away.=94 Wild Man came close =
to being one=20
of the names commemorated at the service. He had a bad case of =
bronchitis down=20
at his river camp. =93I=92d=92ve died down there, if it weren=92t my =
friends who got me=20
off the river,=94 Wild Man said. I asked Wild Man what he thought the =
nation=20
should do to help the homeless.</P>
<P>=93We need to kill out the money to the military, our whole country =
is based on=20
the military, and use that money for the people on the street.=94</P>
<P>After a lunch, which consisted of a thin potato soup, stale bread, =
and weak=20
coffee people began hanging cards, bearing the names of those who have =
died on=20
the streets of Grand Junction, on a small tree that was planted in 2003 =
in=20
memorial.</P>
<P>This year eleven cards were hung from the tree. Teresa Black, =
Executive=20
Director of Homeward Bound of the Grand Valley, said that this =
represented the=20
best count, and that some of the names represented those who passed away =

previous years. =93We aren=92t doing all that we can be doing,=94 Black =
said, =93I hope=20
next year we have no new names to put on the tree.=94</P>
<P><BR>In Loving Memory Of:</P>
<P>Lori Adams<BR>Steve Hickson<BR>Michael Steel<BR>Ms. Brooks<BR>Hiedi=20
Bray<BR>Magan Chapman<BR>Dennis Miller<BR>Steve White<BR>Christine =
Fryer<BR>Dave=20
Pendergrass<BR>Richard Bonnell</P></DIV></DIV></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C84A6C.C0C21F50--