[Hpn] A visit to Rutland's open door mission; VT Public Radio (VPR); 12/25/2007

Morgan W. Brown morganbrown@gmail.com
Tue, 25 Dec 2007 10:39:24 -0500

When I lived in Rutland, VT from the Spring of 1988 thru the Spring of
1991 I had eaten many a meal at the free nightly community suppers
held at the Rutland Open Door Mission, which were open to anyone in
need of a good meal as well as socializing. They also held a free
community Christmas dinner every year as well of course.

Below is a forwarded item I just came across concerning the Open Door
Mission in Rutland.

Morgan morganbrown@gmail.com
Morgan W. Brown
Montpelier, Vermont, USA
Norsehorse's Home Turf:
http://norsehorseshometurf.blogspot.com

~~~fyi:

Rutland Open Door Mission:
http://rutlandweb.com/mission/
31 Park St
PO Box 80
Rutland, VT 05702
(802) 775-5661

"Label Cans, Not People"

E-mail: rutmission@aol.com

-------Forwarded fyi-------

[if you are able to do so, listen to the archived audio podcast via
the link below, the audio version is slightly different than the
transcribed version]

Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Vermont Public Radio (VPR)
http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/78677/
A visit to Rutland's open door mission

 Tuesday December 25, 2007
 Nina Keck

Rutland, VT

 (Host) Rutland's Open Door Mission is often the beneficiary of generosity.

 This holiday season, two sixth-graders organized their classmates to
raise 100 dollars for the Mission.

 And almost every week an 80-year-old neighbor pushes a cart full of
groceries nearly a mile to help supply the Mission's soup kitchen.

 But one of the most moving stories from Rutland's homeless shelter
was about the Mission's own generosity.

 Executive Director Sharon Russell shared the story with VPR's Nina
Keck last year - and it still resonates.

 (Russell) "One year it was Christmas time and it was 5 o'clock at
night and I was pretty tired and wanted to go home. And got to the
back door out here and there were three people - little boy and a mom
and dad. And they said, 'Is the store open.' - We've got a thrift
store on site. And I said, 'we just closed up and I'm getting ready to
go home.' And the mother said, 'well, we can come another time.' And
the little boy said, 'but I don't have any shoes.'"

 "And I thought - oh God, it's Christmas Eve and I'm going to send
this little boy home without any shoes. So I said, 'come on
upstairs.'"

 "So we get upstairs and the little boy whips off his hat and he's
bald as an Eagle. Well in our family we had just been through the
death of a nephew who had cancer. So I know this little boy had
cancer. And I'm thinking Oh, My God, this is how lucky we are. I'm
going home to a warm bed and presents under the tree for my children
and all this little boy wants is a pair of shoes. He's probably not
going to see another Christmas."

 "So I started to cry because I obviously saw this little boy and I
knew what was going on. So I went down to my assistant and said, go up
to the store and give this family everything they need and don't
charge them a dime.' And she said what's going on?' So up she goes and
we sent little Eugene off with coats and shoes and they were very
grateful people. But before they left, I got their name."

 (music plays)

 (Russell) "Because of my nephew dying of cancer in the Burlington
hospital, we knew who to call up there. And I said, we've got a little
boy who's name is Eugene and we want to help that family for
Christmas.'"

 "And I went out to MSJ and told the kids about it and they adopted
the family. Well Eugene had a wonderful Christmas - the best Christmas
probably Eugene ever had and Eugene did pass away."

 "But that was the best Christmas present that I ever had - that I was
able to help somebody who only wanted a pair of shoes."

 (Host) Sharon Russell is the Executive Director of the Open Door
Mission in Rutland.

distributed without charge or profit to those who have expressed a
prior interest in receiving this type of information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.**

-------End of forward-------