[Hpn] SF Supervisors: Don't make Sleeping While Homeless a crime in 2008!

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:02:28 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C844AB.AB1EFBD0

SF Supervisors: Don't make Sleeping While Homeless a crime in 2008!
Published December 22, 2007=20
Coalition On Homelessness, December 20, 2007

SF Supervisors: Don't make Sleeping While Homeless a crime in 2008!

(See article below by Newsom's mouthpiece, C. W. Nevius, explaining the =
issue through his twisted lens.)

Monday, January 7, 10 AM

Meet on City Hall Steps to lobby Supervisors

We are starting a new year folks and on January 8, 2008 is a critical =
issue that will give us the opportunity to halt the criminalization of  =
poor folks whose only crime is being too poor to pay the rent!

The Full Board will be voting as to whether to amend the camping and  =
sleeping code to make it easier to cite people for sleeping.

Supervisor Ammiano has a counter amendment that says they have to offer  =
housing before they can cite folks (Yes we like this idea!).   This =
would codify what the Mayor says he is already doing.

The Mayor doesn't like it, and is pushing through Supervisor Dufty a  =
counter amendment that would give people the ticket, then have them  =
prove they were offered services, and if they get any other tickets,  =
the tickets would stand!

No, no, no, we don't like that.

Folks are going to jail for trying to some sleep in Frisco.   This is  =
not the Middle Ages.    Let us stop the madness!

We need you to get on the phone and call,  call,  call, and have your =
friends  call the following supervisors:

SUP SANDOVAL 554-6975
SUP MAXWELL 554-7670
SUP MCGOLDRICK 554-7410

Tell them to reject the Newsom/Dufty amendments and approve the Ammiano  =
amendment.

Jennifer Friedenbach
Executive Director
468 Turk Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 346-3740 x 306
fax:  775-5639

To learn more about our work, and to get the latest scoop on the
politics of poverty in SF, go to the Street Sheet blog:
http://www.cohsf.org/streetsheet/

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C844AB.AB1EFBD0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3Dentry-head>
<H3 class=3Dentry-title><A=20
title=3D'Permanent Link to "SF Supervisors: Don=92t make Sleeping While =
Homeless a crime in&nbsp;2008!"'=20
href=3D"http://mlyon01.wordpress.com/2007/12/22/sf-supervisors-don%e2%80%=
99t-make-sleeping-while-homeless-a-crime-in-2008/"=20
rel=3Dbookmark>SF Supervisors: Don=92t make Sleeping While Homeless a =
crime=20
in&nbsp;2008!</A></H3><SMALL class=3Dentry-meta><SPAN =
class=3Dchronodata>Published=20
<ABBR class=3Dpublished title=3D2007-12-22T11:06:10+0000><FONT =
size=3D1>December 22,=20
2007</FONT></ABBR> </SPAN></SMALL><!-- .entry-head --></DIV>
<DIV class=3Dentry-content>
<DIV class=3Dsnap_preview>
<P>Coalition On Homelessness, December 20, 2007</P>
<P>SF Supervisors: Don=92t make Sleeping While Homeless a crime in =
2008!</P>
<P>(See article below by Newsom=92s mouthpiece, C. W. Nevius, explaining =
the issue=20
through his twisted lens.)</P>
<P>Monday, January 7, 10 AM</P>
<P><BR>Meet on City Hall Steps to lobby Supervisors</P>
<P>We are starting a new year folks and on January 8, 2008 is a critical =
issue=20
that will give us the opportunity to halt the criminalization of&nbsp; =
poor=20
folks whose only crime is being too poor to pay the rent!</P>
<P>The Full Board will be voting as to whether to amend the camping =
and&nbsp;=20
sleeping code to make it easier to cite people for sleeping.</P>
<P>Supervisor Ammiano has a counter amendment that says they have to =
offer&nbsp;=20
housing before they can cite folks (Yes we like this idea!).&nbsp;&nbsp; =
This=20
would codify what the Mayor says he is already doing.</P>
<P>The Mayor doesn=92t like it, and is pushing through Supervisor Dufty =
a&nbsp;=20
counter amendment that would give people the ticket, then have =
them&nbsp; prove=20
they were offered services, and if they get any other tickets,&nbsp; the =
tickets=20
would stand!</P>
<P>No, no, no, we don=92t like that.</P>
<P>Folks are going to jail for trying to some sleep in =
Frisco.&nbsp;&nbsp; This=20
is&nbsp; not the Middle Ages.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Let us stop the =
madness!</P>
<P>We need you to get on the phone and call,&nbsp; call,&nbsp; call, and =
have=20
your friends&nbsp; call the following supervisors:</P>
<P>SUP SANDOVAL 554-6975<BR>SUP MAXWELL 554-7670<BR>SUP MCGOLDRICK =
554-7410</P>
<P>Tell them to reject the Newsom/Dufty amendments and approve the =
Ammiano&nbsp;=20
amendment.</P>
<P>Jennifer Friedenbach<BR>Executive Director<BR>Coalition on =
Homelessness, San=20
Francisco<BR>468 Turk Street<BR>San Francisco, CA 94102<BR>(415) =
346-3740 x=20
306<BR>fax:&nbsp; 775-5639</P>
<P>To learn more about our work, and to get the latest scoop on =
the<BR>politics=20
of poverty in SF, go to the Street Sheet blog:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.cohsf.org/streetsheet/">http://www.cohsf.org/streetshe=
et/</A></P></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C844AB.AB1EFBD0--