[Hpn] Keeping the peace

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 21:42:05 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C84351.29C66920

      2007-12-21 =20
      Keeping the peace =20
    =20
      By Yehuda Lev
    =20
      http://www.jewishjournal.com:80/home/preview.php?id=3D18667 =20
    =20
      My wife Rosie, a professor of history, can be a formidable woman, =
especially when advancing upon some miscreant, tire iron in hand. That =
was the scene one midnight some years ago when she came across a man =
beating his wife in the middle of a Sunland street. Slamming on the =
brakes, she leaped out of the car prepared for battle. The offender =
promptly fled. Rosie gathered up the woman and her four small children =
and took them to our home where I awoke the next morning to find all =
five sleeping in our living room.=20

      Several months later, Rosie received a letter from the LAPD, =
inviting her to accept a commendation for heroism from Police Chief =
Daryl Gates on Feb. 25, 1986. There were a number of good citizens being =
honored, and as each one received a certificate, they mumbled =
appropriate words of thanks and stepped down off the stage.=20

      When her turn arrived, Rosie didn't mumble. Instead, she gave the =
chief a three-minute lecture on how the LAPD discriminates against =
people of color. The chief sat through it, thanked her politely and =
moved on to the next honoree, while I made a mental note never to risk =
getting a traffic ticket from the LAPD.=20

      In the 30 years that we have been together, I have yet to be the =
target of a wielded tire iron, but marriage to a political activist does =
require a certain flexibility of thought and dexterity of movement. =
Among the causes worthy of Rosie's attention are advocacy for the =
homeless, the farm worker's union, the security of Israel, the Equal =
Rights Amendment, abortion rights, same-sex marriages, racism, =
anti-Semitism, withdrawal from Iraq, the political defeat of anyone to =
the right of The Nation, and the gall of those Americans who believe =
that Christopher Columbus "discovered" America.=20

      "How about those who were living here at the time. What were they, =
chopped liver?" the outspoken professor of Latin American history asks.

      Nor does political activism end at the front door. As the =
principal family shopper, I am kept constantly aware by Rosie of changes =
in the political acceptability of some of the largest retailers and =
suppliers in the land. For some years, shopping at Target was forbidden =
(union busting), although it has now been restored to its place in the =
shopping pantheon; Wendy's, because until recently it didn't offer =
employment protection to gay and lesbian employees, and don't even think =
of Wal-Mart as a beneficiary of our business.=20

      It is true that I have not conducted any personal investigations =
to verify these accusations and that I am certainly not looking forward =
to any legal entanglements with high-powered attorneys representing =
American commercial interests. But shalom bayit, peace in the home, has =
been the foundation upon which a firm family relationship has been built =
and that not even Wal-Mart has the power to erode. So we buy produce =
from an independent greengrocer, coffee from a fair-trade company, eggs =
from a nice lady Rosie knows and, wherever possible, avoid those =
supermarkets that are not unionized.

      (Countering this, and probably eliminating us forever from =
membership in the Sierra Club, is my 1992 Mercury Topaz, alias the =
anti-Hummer or "The Bummer," which requires gassing up every month or =
so, not because it is stingy on gasoline but because I don't drive much =
any more.)

      The real secret for attaining successful family relations lies in =
what I propose as the 11th Commandment, "Thou shalt not ask." This runs =
counter to every warning about drug usage and other anti-social =
behaviors, and in favoring it I may be dead wrong, but I am dealing with =
a single family, not a nationwide sample. Of course, it only works if =
those involved trust one another, and while this may lead the family =
down some unfamiliar paths and unusual confrontations, it is a course =
wisely chosen and on a morally high level.=20

      If you are still given to the old ways, be sure to avoid =
formidable women wielding tire irons.=20

      Yehuda Lev, The Journal's first associate editor, lives in =
Providence, R.I., where his business card reads Editor Emeritus. He can =
be contacted at yehudal@cox.net.

    =20

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C84351.29C66920

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<TABLE cellSpacing=3D2 cellPadding=3D4 rules=3Dnone width=3D"100%" =
align=3Dleft=20
summary=3D"main editorial content" border=3D0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
    <TD><FONT face=3Dverdana,futura,arial,helvetica color=3Dblack=20
      size=3D-3>2007-12-21</FONT> </TD></TR>
  <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
    <TD><!--title--><FONT face=3Dverdana,futura,arial,helvetica =
color=3Dblack=20
      size=3D+1>Keeping the peace</FONT> </TD></TR>
  <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
    <TD><!--subtitle--><FONT face=3Dverdana,futura,arial,helvetica =
color=3Dblack=20
      size=3D-1><I></I></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
    <TD><!--author--><FONT face=3Dverdana,futura,arial,helvetica =
color=3Dgray=20
      size=3D-2><B>By Yehuda Lev<BR></B></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
    <TD><!--image--><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
      =
href=3D"http://www.jewishjournal.com:80/home/preview.php?id=3D18667">http=
://www.jewishjournal.com:80/home/preview.php?id=3D18667</A></FONT>=20
    </TD></TR>
  <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
    <TD><!--caption--><FONT face=3Dverdana,futura,arial,helvetica =
color=3Dblack=20
      size=3D-2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR vAlign=3Dtop>
    <TD><!--story-->
      <P><FONT face=3D"georgia,times new roman, times,serif" =
size=3D-1>My wife=20
      Rosie, a professor of history, can be a formidable woman, =
especially when=20
      advancing upon some miscreant, tire iron in hand. That was the =
scene one=20
      midnight some years ago when she came across a man beating his =
wife in the=20
      middle of a Sunland street. Slamming on the brakes, she leaped out =
of the=20
      car prepared for battle. The offender promptly fled. Rosie =
gathered up the=20
      woman and her four small children and took them to our home where =
I awoke=20
      the next morning to find all five sleeping in our living room.=20
      <BR><BR>Several months later, Rosie received a letter from the =
LAPD,=20
      inviting her to accept a commendation for heroism from Police =
Chief Daryl=20
      Gates on Feb. 25, 1986. There were a number of good citizens being =

      honored, and as each one received a certificate, they mumbled =
appropriate=20
      words of thanks and stepped down off the stage. <BR><BR>When her =
turn=20
      arrived, Rosie didn't mumble. Instead, she gave the chief a =
three-minute=20
      lecture on how the LAPD discriminates against people of color. The =
chief=20
      sat through it, thanked her politely and moved on to the next =
honoree,=20
      while I made a mental note never to risk getting a traffic ticket =
from the=20
      LAPD. <BR><BR>In the 30 years that we have been together, I have =
yet to be=20
      the target of a wielded tire iron, but marriage to a political =
activist=20
      does require a certain flexibility of thought and dexterity of =
movement.=20
      Among the causes worthy of Rosie's attention are advocacy for the=20
      homeless, the farm worker's union, the security of Israel, the =
Equal=20
      Rights Amendment, abortion rights, same-sex marriages, racism,=20
      anti-Semitism, withdrawal from Iraq, the political defeat of =
anyone to the=20
      right of The Nation, and the gall of those Americans who believe =
that=20
      Christopher Columbus "discovered" America. <BR><BR>"How about =
those who=20
      were living here at the time. What were they, chopped liver?" the=20
      outspoken professor of Latin American history asks.<BR><BR>Nor =
does=20
      political activism end at the front door. As the principal family =
shopper,=20
      I am kept constantly aware by Rosie of changes in the political=20
      acceptability of some of the largest retailers and suppliers in =
the land.=20
      For some years, shopping at Target was forbidden (union busting), =
although=20
      it has now been restored to its place in the shopping pantheon; =
Wendy's,=20
      because until recently it didn't offer employment protection to =
gay and=20
      lesbian employees, and don't even think of Wal-Mart as a =
beneficiary of=20
      our business. <BR><BR>It is true that I have not conducted any =
personal=20
      investigations to verify these accusations and that I am certainly =
not=20
      looking forward to any legal entanglements with high-powered =
attorneys=20
      representing American commercial interests. But shalom bayit, =
peace in the=20
      home, has been the foundation upon which a firm family =
relationship has=20
      been built and that not even Wal-Mart has the power to erode. So =
we buy=20
      produce from an independent greengrocer, coffee from a fair-trade =
company,=20
      eggs from a nice lady Rosie knows and, wherever possible, avoid =
those=20
      supermarkets that are not unionized.<BR><BR>(Countering this, and =
probably=20
      eliminating us forever from membership in the Sierra Club, is my =
1992=20
      Mercury Topaz, alias the anti-Hummer or "The Bummer," which =
requires=20
      gassing up every month or so, not because it is stingy on gasoline =
but=20
      because I don't drive much any more.)<BR><BR>The real secret for =
attaining=20
      successful family relations lies in what I propose as the 11th=20
      Commandment, "Thou shalt not ask." This runs counter to every =
warning=20
      about drug usage and other anti-social behaviors, and in favoring =
it I may=20
      be dead wrong, but I am dealing with a single family, not a =
nationwide=20
      sample. Of course, it only works if those involved trust one =
another, and=20
      while this may lead the family down some unfamiliar paths and =
unusual=20
      confrontations, it is a course wisely chosen and on a morally high =
level.=20
      <BR><BR>If you are still given to the old ways, be sure to avoid=20
      formidable women wielding tire irons. =
<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><I>Yehuda=20
      Lev, The Journal's first associate editor, lives in Providence, =
R.I.,=20
      where his business card reads Editor Emeritus. He can be contacted =
at=20
      =
yehudal@cox.net.</I><BR></FONT></P></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C84351.29C66920--