[Hpn] No long lines for civil union licenses

William C. Tinker wtinker@verizon.net
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:39:03 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01C83C3E.3F8EEF30

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=3D2007312110068

Tuesday, December 11, 2007
No long lines for civil union licenses
As of Monday afternoon, the first day they were available, only a few =
are issued.
By RYAN J. HALLIDAY Telegraph Staff=20
City and town clerks throughout the state began issuing licenses to gay =
and lesbian couples Monday, three weeks before a new law offering civil =
unions to same-sex partners goes into effect.=20

But unlike when gay marriage was legalized in Massachusetts nearly four =
years ago, there were no long lines of same-sex couples waiting for =
their civil union licenses. Only a few local gay and lesbian partners =
rushed to their town or city halls to fill out their applications =
Monday.=20

As of Monday afternoon, Hudson's town clerk had issued civil union =
licenses to two same-sex couples. But in neighboring Merrimack, no gay =
partners had come in seeking licenses. One license was issued in =
Manchester, but no civil union licenses were issued in Nashua.=20

"We thought we might see one or two couples coming in, but we certainly =
didn't expect to see lines at the door or people waiting for us when we =
opened," Nashua City Clerk Paul Bergeron said.=20

The state office that oversees marriage licenses and other vital records =
allowed city and town clerks to be able to access the state's database =
and issue civil union licenses to gay and lesbian couples starting =
Monday.=20

The new civil union law goes into effect Jan. 1. Once issued, a civil =
union license, just like a marriage license, is good for 90 days.

"There's no real sense of urgency," Bergeron said. "The law doesn't go =
into affect until Jan. 1, so it getting a license today as opposed to =
Dec. 31 doesn't really make a difference."=20

Ryan J. Halliday can be reached at 594-5860 or =
rhalliday@nashuatelegraph.com.
------=_NextPart_000_0047_01C83C3E.3F8EEF30

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=3D200731=
2110068">http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=3D20073=
12110068</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Tuesday, December 11, 2007
<H1 style=3D"PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px">No long lines for =
civil union=20
licenses</H1>
<H2 class=3Dheading2>As of Monday afternoon, the first day they were =
available,=20
only a few are issued.</H2>
<H2 class=3Dbyline>By RYAN J. HALLIDAY Telegraph Staff </H2>
<P><FONT class=3Dbodytext>City and town clerks throughout the state =
began issuing=20
licenses to gay and lesbian couples Monday, three weeks before a new law =

offering civil unions to same-sex partners goes into effect. <BR><BR>But =
unlike=20
when gay marriage was legalized in Massachusetts nearly four years ago, =
there=20
were no long lines of same-sex couples waiting for their civil union =
licenses.=20
Only a few local gay and lesbian partners rushed to their town or city =
halls to=20
fill out their applications Monday. <BR><BR>As of Monday afternoon, =
Hudson's=20
town clerk had issued civil union licenses to two same-sex couples. But =
in=20
neighboring Merrimack, no gay partners had come in seeking licenses. One =
license=20
was issued in Manchester, but no civil union licenses were issued in =
Nashua.=20
<BR><BR>"We thought we might see one or two couples coming in, but we =
certainly=20
didn't expect to see lines at the door or people waiting for us when we =
opened,"=20
Nashua City Clerk Paul Bergeron said. <BR><BR>The state office that =
oversees=20
marriage licenses and other vital records allowed city and town clerks =
to be=20
able to access the state's database and issue civil union licenses to =
gay and=20
lesbian couples starting Monday. <BR><BR>The new civil union law goes =
into=20
effect Jan. 1. Once issued, a civil union license, just like a marriage =
license,=20
is good for 90 days.<BR><BR>"There's no real sense of urgency," Bergeron =
said.=20
"The law doesn't go into affect until Jan. 1, so it getting a license =
today as=20
opposed to Dec. 31 doesn't really make a difference." </FONT></P>
<H2 class=3Dtag>Ryan J. Halliday can be reached at 594-5860 or <A=20
href=3D"mailto:rhalliday@nashuatelegraph.com">rhalliday@nashuatelegraph.c=
om</A>.</H2></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01C83C3E.3F8EEF30--